BMW X1 vs FORD KUGA ST X / EDITION

This topic contains 34 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Wigwam 1 day, 1 hour ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #66880 Reply

Efc84

Evening everyone,

I simply do not know which car to choose out of the 2.

I’m sat with both brochures in front of me as I type this with a couple of weeks away from our renewal date to which we want to order on or around that date and get the ball rolling.

Ive gone over it in my head a 1000 times in the last 24 hours,

we was pretty much set on a BMW X1 Sport until we seen the Ford Kuga ST X line as it looks very appealing also and comes with pretty much everything extra you could ask for as standard on a car but then there is the thought it isn’t a BMW though and does it match the premium manufacturer build quality…

This was pretty much a done deal for the Kuga x until last night when I was reading the post by Kelly at BMW Portsmouth and after spending the day today back and too emailing her (very helpful and a lovely person I must add) I am now back in a pickle of which to go for.

Was wondering if anyone could offer any advice and thoughts from both kuga and bmw drivers?

Thank you all in advance.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #66883 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

We loved the X1. Only ruled it out ‘cos we need 82cm tailgate height for chair hoist and X1 doesn’t even come close.

Like the Kuga a lot, although the ride of the ST was too harsh for my wife.

Dealer on Monday – looking at a Vignale. Will try some haggling for a sunroof – only thing it doesn’t have. Does have light leather interior though, which is a must. If he won’t do a deal – and he has indicated he might – we’ll wait until Jan 1 and the new pricelists.

#66885 Reply

djbasics
    Participant

Hi Efc84,

I’m in the same boat regarding choosing a vehicle! Its a nightmare, I hate it! We have gone past our order date now and still can’t choose…… My father-in-law has a Kuga and its the older 180hp (65 plate) nippy for a SUV nice to drive, good vision, all mod cons. I test drove a BMW X1 (M Sport) we were looking at the Xline version, but our local dealer only has the M Sport. It is a nice car, roomy inside, flashy looking easy to get in and out, some of the extras can push up the price.

We currently have a Volvo XC60 2.4 Lux Nav with winter pack (best car i have had)

We also test drove a Mazda CX-5 sport nav + (great tech for the AP price £1500) Volvo XC40 Momentum (lovely classy car, but AP £3750 too high for an entry level version IMOP) VW Tiguan R-line 150 (Great vision, very stylish, high AP £3250)

Sorry if this has messed with your choice even more, but good luck with deciding

regards

DJ

#66893 Reply

Rapster
    Participant

I went through the hell that is choosing the next vehicle a couple of months ago. We all know where you’re coming from, @Efc84.

I finally decided on the BMW Active Tourer 220d xDrive Sport Auto (over the X1) as the seat is 40mm higher than the X1 and the boot opening more than low enough for me and the boot big enough for my chair. I pick  it up at 1000hrs Monday 10th Dec next week – woohoo!

Okay, enough of that… 😁

How much is the AP (after discounts, etc) for both? If similar, then ignore.

Do not ignore this, though: which does your heart want? If you get the Ford (pretend for a moment), will your heart be saying, ‘Damn, I wish I’d gotten the BMW…’ and if you get the BMW, would your heart wish it had got the Ford. Go on, have a daydream.

Remember, it is only a three year lease and it’s not as if either car is a mistake so whatever you do go with, and if both suit your requirements, then it’s not the end of the World.

(Unless Trump vs Putin does kick off and it does indeed become the end of the World, then it won’t matter which car you have as you’ll be kissing your ass goodbye either way.😂)

#66895 Reply

Efc84

Hi confusicated,

We are yet to test drive either car but we are booked in on the 22nd to test drive the kuga ST followed by submitting our application straight after – this was only based on the fact we looking around at other manufacturers & models the kuga edition (x)  was the one for us also with a decent AP….our other choice before was the X1, I think I’m going to look again tomorrow at the X1

We do like a couple others cars but the AP at this moment in time are just to high for us.

Are you aware of the new Kuga coming out?  Ford have stopped taking orders (well my local fords have) of the kuga st x because they are releasing in its place a model they are going to be calling “Kuga ST Edition” – basically this is the new X but kitted up. This is the kuga i was applying for when I submit my application,

From what I’ve been told they are changing the alloys to 19” metallic rock alloys and having large red break callipers, rear tint as standard, pano roof, powered tail gate, black wing mirror covers and everything else you get with the usual ST X model.

After a chat with the executive of Ford through email they are currently using the AP price of the Kuga ST for this up and coming model if orderd now.

I’m told their has been nothing solid agreed yet price wise with Motability for new year so it could go up or stay or drop. The last I was told ford and Motability are trying to agree a price on it.

Hi Dj basics,

Some very nice cars you mention there  I really like the Volvo also but unfortunately it’s out of our AP range, Also I like the look of the inside of the CX5 I was drawn in by the decent AP also but there is just something about the outside that puts me off, I think it’s the long front style and shape.

Im going to have a look again tomorrow at the X1, I will prob end up back and too back and too over the next couple weeks unless something can make my mind up on the X1 and I will order through kelly at BMW Portsmouth as she has been brilliant with me today answering my emails and helping with all my questions and coming up with some good figures, only issue is it’s a 5 hour drive and 5 hour back which I would struggle with………decisions!…..Decisions!

#66896 Reply

Efc84

St edition

#66897 Reply

djbasics
    Participant

The Kuga looks nice in Black with the Black wheels lol, I saw one at the Big Event in Peterborough, very nice!

#66900 Reply

Efc84

Hi Rapster,

Day dreaming is something I do very often lol!

honestly I wish I could put the bmw interior and the quality feel in to the Kuga shell 😂

your right about not getting it wrong in the long run, I worry to much encase I have that exact feeling.

I love the interior of the BMW it felt so spacious and really solid wheres the kuga felt more plasticky but then I prefer the styling & look of the Kuga X over the look of the X1.

this is going to be a tough couple weeks lol! x

🤔

#66901 Reply

Efc84

The black on black looks stunning!

It was this colour styling i was originally looking at, the grey looks really nice too so the grey 19” alloys will look well with the grey metallic paint.

I’m sure I read somewhere recently fords have a promotion on the colour selection as I think as standard the X it only comes in blue or red.

#66902 Reply

Masquerade
    Participant

I have been driving a Kuga Titanium X for 3 years now, awaiting my Tiguan 190 delivery and though initially I loved the Kuga, after 3 years I cannot wait to hand it back.

One of my main dislikes is the oversized dashboard and the rubbish All Wheel Drive system, it just does not distribute the torque to the wheels properly and quick enough, though it is not faulty, just how it is and the Kuga has not had any problems in the time I have had it, so it is reliable but lacking a lot in drivability and handling, the body roll is annoying.

#66904 Reply

JS (justsaying)

Read Kelly’s deals at the bottom of the first post. £600 off  5 in stock X1 black.sapphire metallic.

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/bmw-motability-christmas-offers-kelly-hare/#post-66899

#66915 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Efc84

Aware of the new Kuga, yes. Local dealer says it will have the same basic suspension setup as the current ST models i.e. too harsh for my wife.

#66919 Reply

Efc84

Morning JS

Ive actually been talking to kelly, We exchanged emails yesterday, she was very helpful and she come back to us with some good quotes, the only negative thing is the jorney for me, it  is over 5 hours there then 5 back which is something I might struggle with, I recently had to drive to London to see a professor of neurology and it took me weeks to recover. 😖

Sorry to hear the suspension on the kuga isn’t good for your wife confusicated, I’m yet to test drive one so I may find the same issue myself.

im going to a different BMW car sales today as the one i went to only had a M-sport x1 in stock.

Thank you everyone.

regards,

efc84.

#66923 Reply

kellyhare
    Participant

Thanks Efc84!!

Hopefully the BMW X1 will prevail!!

#66929 Reply

Jack

just remember the Kuga ST line edition (which replaces the X) looses the power tailgate, heated seats and electric drivers seat.

#66930 Reply

Jack

Oh and also the edition doesn’t came with the black alloys, instead they are rock (anthracite) grey

#66932 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Jack

Yep. Apart from the softer suspension of the non-ST Line, I need a power tailgate as I really struggle with our Zafira now. I’m in the back often, for hoist and wife’s wheelchair, and I am also disabled.

#66933 Reply

ShadyAidy

We picked Kuga ST Line X (4wd auto 180ps) over the X1.

The X1 has better fuel economy and build quality, but ultimately, if we all only bought or supported the “best”, then we’d all be Man U fans, wouldn’t we? (ducks for cover!).

We preferred the styling of the Kuga, the way it goes and handles, we wanted a bit more boot space, and in dark colours (ours is Ruby Red, I wanted black but it’s my wife’s car, so she had the final say) it’s got a lot of “attitude”, so we went with that.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either car.

Just a word of advice if you go for the Kuga – don’t bother with the uprated stereo, it’s really no better than the standard, you’re paying £500 to get a different stereo and a reversing camera. If you want the reversing camera just specify that for £250.

We also went for the Style pack (HID headlights, LED rear lights, tinted windows and spoiler), which was a bit pricey but it was the only way to get HID’s on an ST Line Kuga, and they make a massive difference, especially as they ‘steer’ around corners which didn’t seem to be covered in the literature – at engine start they’re pointing down and then give a nice side-to-side wiggle before levelling up, it’s a nice little touch.

#66934 Reply

Jack

Kuga ST Line changes

#66937 Reply

Jack

Just to add the Kuga ST line X is a brilliant car. Went from a 1.5 petrol Tit X with horrendous MPG (18 around town) to the 1.5 diesel (already in the high 30’s around town with just 400miles on the clock). went for a white one with privacy glass. Asked the dealer not to let thier valeter’s anywhere near it too which was a good decision.ST Line X

#66947 Reply

Dogboss
    Participant

I’ve gone from Titanium X petrol to the BMW X1 xline While the Kuga has the best driving position of any car I’ve owned the engine and gearbox lets it down bigtime (new torque converter @ 2 years) The BMW box is smoother than a she mouse’s under carriage 🙂   As for Ford saying it’s 182bhp the old type g/box sucks the power from the engine. The BM takes some getting used to when you release the throttle it freewheels so you need to allow for this when going up to junctions etc. The car previous to the Kuga was a C-Max and we bought a Ford boot liner and this fitted all 3 cars only just in the BM.

#66955 Reply

Efc84

Afternoon,

I think it’s going  to be the Kuga!

Just got home from visiting both BMW and Ford to go over both cars again and as much as I loved the solidness and the feel to the BMW the kuga is simply just more spacious and comfortable.

I sat in the passenger and drivers seat of the BMW and I just couldn’t sit comfortably, The kuga I could stretch my legs out and wide it felt great.

The drivers position felt better too with room to lean back slightly and to the side,

i love the look of the kuga I think the grey alloys will go well with the grey metallic paint.

ild like to thank everyone for their  input and help.

Jack your kuga looks stunning I like the black and white. 👍🏻

#66957 Reply

Efc84

Could it be these alloys..?

#66958 Reply

Efc84

Wondering if it’s these 19” rock alloys going on the Kuga 🤔

#66961 Reply

boldbob

It all goes to show that its down to personal taste & preference & requirements. We are not all the same, and we all need different things from our cars, I could not get comfortable in the ford in either of the front seats, I found them too soft giving no support to my upper legs, I am 6″3″ and 20 stone, my wife tripped up getting out, and almost had a bad accident. The auto was slow to pull away and hesitated at times, the auto was constantly changing gear and could be quite jerky at times, we felt every single bump in the ford on the road, the build quality was also looked poor, and had too much plastic inside. It looked great from the outside but the seats & engine/auto box let it down, We went with the X1 Xdrive 2.0 diesel sport it just felt right to us. It was like a different world to drive and very comfortable for us and had the space we needed, and was alot cheaper AP than the ford, we have had our car just 6 months (49 mpg after 4k miles) and has made so much difference to our lives, I hope the ford does that to yours.

#66969 Reply

Efc84

Hi boldbob,

I said the exact same to my wife about the inside of the kuga compared to the BMW, clearly it certainly was not up to the standard of the BMW inside the car as the kuga has lots of tappy loose plastic, especially around the arm rest /cup holder area. Really though we can live with this as the kuga makes up for this negative point by having that feeling of more room and space in the front.

I’m 6’2 / 24st too so we’re both big lads to please lol!

Sitting in the BMW I was as far back as I could go with the seat positioning but I still felt as though I was on top of the steering wheel and I found I didn’t have much leg room with space to relax my legs wheres with the kuga i had the seat position right back and I had a very comfortable driving position still with room to adjust and move my legs.

I found the seats on the bmw were more rounded and shorter than the kuga even with the supports pulled out, The sport seat hugged me in tight I couldn’t adjust easily, but Ive just been told the seats are different on the XDrive model so this could be something for us to consider. (Look at again)

The x1 is a lovely car and I know I can’t have the best of both worlds, I really like the styling and look of the kuga but I love the the feel of the BMW

The 2ltr D sport X1 is currently @ £2349 plus £300 for rear tint.

The kuga ST X / Edition is @ £1045 with possibly a colour change @ £450,

Efc84.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
Reply To: BMW X1 vs FORD KUGA ST X / EDITION
Your information: