Bmw X1 or Hybrid self charging vehicle?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #174488 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

Dear all, it’s a great pleasure to be here, I’m pleased to have found this forum and look to interact with such nice people on here.

I currently have the Bmw X1 Xline  2.0 (petrol) which I have been very pleased with in terms of comfort, I put in a new order last may 2021 for the same model which apparently is due in march 2022, however it still isn’t in production and I have not paid any deposit. Last week I did a quick recap on how much petrol money I spent and noticed that it’s above what I can actually afford or desire to pay for the next 3yrs, therefore I have been looking into full hybrid (self charging) cars. would there be a major difference in mpg if a switch over to hybrid self charged vehicle as when I compare my x1 mpg to electric cars there isn’t much difference? which self charging hybrid would you recommend? will I miss my x1 considering it’s now unavailable on the scheme?

Warmest regards

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #174494 Reply
    struth
    Participant

what mpg were you getting with the bmw?   i had a self charging toyota and got on average mid to late 50’s mpg in late svpring to mid autumn. winter it was a bit less what with lights, heating, defrosting etc but was rarely much under 50mpg. worst was about 45.  best ive had on short journeys of about 8 miles and really trying was about 90.  driving about town you’ll get a bit more than average i found, as long as it wasnt driving at 20 ish all day as battery runs out quite quick.

so thats probably a bit better than a x1.

phevs you may well do a good bit better but have to charge them and they are expensive.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#174499 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

I’m not certain but around 35mpg-40mpg. yes I don’t really want to go out and look for charging spots. self charging would be ideal. my friend has a Toyota Prius, she said she gets £10 petrol and does around 150 miles as its hybrid self charging, that’s a major difference compared to my x1

#174500 Reply
    struth
    Participant

I had the sportier to look at chr. They do a few self charging ones Toyota. Probably the best company for them as they have made them for many years .

Chr isn’t huge but it’s bigger than it looks

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#174504 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

thank you struth i will look into it, I’ll keep you posted, regards

#174506 Reply
    rico

some of the hyundai phevs are good with them switching to self charging when battery depletes I think from what I read

#174507 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

There’s nothing on a par with a BMW X1 left on the scheme anymore so, yes, you will probably miss it, but if you are finding the petrol cost to be too expensive for you then I would think that you have no choice but to change?

We have the same car as you but the newer facelift model with four wheel drive. We are averaging 40mpg now in the winter (cold starts, heater cranked up, heated seats on etc), but were getting 44mpg during the summer, which IMHO is excellent for a powerful petrol 4WD auto SUV and is in fact better than we were getting on our previous VW Tiguan diesel.

Obviously everybody has to live within their means, so a self charging hybrid might be cheaper for you to run. However, keep in mind that the Advance Payment (AP) price that you be paying for your X1 is an absolute bargain compared to the AP’s for cars now. If you cancel and order something else, you could easily end up paying a bigger AP for a car that’s nowhere near as good as what you have on order and obviously any extra AP that you end up paying will eat into any fuel savings that you make. A difficult decision for you.

#174510 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Rosie – just a further thought. I’m not a great fan of lease extensions, as it’s a nice earner for Motability and not a very good deal for the customer, but if you like your current X1, a lease extension could be worth considering. You’d still be stuck with your current fuel consumption, but you wouldn’t be paying any AP (for now) so overall this could be the cheapest option for you. Unless you are a high mileage driver, spending thousands to get a new car that achieves say 10mpg better economy will take some considerable time to recoup that AP through fuel savings, if indeed you ever do.

#174511 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

#174512 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

25mpg isn’t great I assume?

#174513 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

25mpg isn’t great I assume?

Well, no, that would be rubbish if that was your average mpg over a prolonged period, but you said you thought you got 35-40mpg? You can’t make a decision based on say one short journey in the winter! Your car will have a different iDrive system to mine, but if you go onto the main menu, then vehicle, you should be able to find two computers – one that shows trip mpg (since you last reset – which is the same as shows at the bottom of your dash) and another which shows longer term average consumption. That’s the one you need to look at.

#174514 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

Glos guy- thank you for your honest input, your totally right as x1 is a great car and I’m in two minds if I should stick to the order. I never speed and drive mainly on eco mode but still averaging 25mpg mainly in the city. A quick question, what difference is there in the facelift? Regards

#174515 Reply
    rosie54
    Participant

Rico – thank you, I will look into it, I’m just frightened to move away from bmw and regret my decision as the vehicle is premium and there service has been amazing over the last few years

#174517 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos guy- thank you for your honest input, your totally right as x1 is a great car and I’m in two minds if I should stick to the order. I never speed and drive mainly on eco mode but still averaging 25mpg mainly in the city. A quick question, what difference is there in the facelift? Regards

Aside from the cosmetic differences (improved exterior styling, different alloys which are two tone and upgraded interior with leather look sections with contrast stitching on the dashboard) the xLine now has £2,500 more equipment as standard. I worked it all out when we were considering which car to get, as we had discounted the X1 back in 2018 as we felt that the pre facelift version seemed a bit low rent and lacked standard equipment. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept the info but, from memory, the standard iDrive screen is now bigger, the standard seats have improved (they still lack under thigh support though IMO, which is why we added Sport Seats), automated parking has been added, LED headlights, front and side parking sensors (as well as rear) and a number of safety features. There’s probably more but I can’t remember what else wasn’t standard in 2018.

All that being said, now that you have said that your driving is mostly around town, you are never going to get great mpg from any petrol or diesel car. Assuming that you don’t have the ability to charge at home (if you did, a Plug-in hybrid would be best for you) then a self charging hybrid could be the way to go for you, but that would obviously mean something other than a BMW.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Reply #174510 in Bmw X1 or Hybrid self charging vehicle?
Your information: