BMW X1

• This topic has 55 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by joss.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #154261 Reply
    George

Received my X1 on Friday the car has a lot more added to it but also things have been removed CD player has now gone 2 12volt sockets are know longer there and l don’t know whether it’s my imagination but the rear seats seem a lot smaller than in my previous X1 also l have noticed on the government website that emissions number has risen from 141 grams to 161grams with the same engine as l had before.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154448 Reply
    machoco

The X1 with larger nav can have hud display as an option

#154449 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The X1 with larger nav can have hud display as an option

HUD isn’t available as a stand alone option on the X1. It is only available as part of the Technology Pack 2, which is bundled with the BMW Navigation Plus (biggest Sat Nav at 10.25”). You can’t get one without the other, unfortunately, so if you want the HUD (as I do) you have to have a bigger Sat Nav than the 8.8” system that now comes as standard. Equally, you cannot have the biggest Sat Nav without HUD.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #154454 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@gloss guy have you had any more date changes we finally have a slot not sure on expected estimate date as yet I’m thinking august/September

Well no sooner do I answer your question I get a further update from the dealer. As predicted, delivery has slipped another 2 months to end September. That will be 6 months from ordering. My patience has its limits so I will now see what Quarter 3 holds. Problem is there is nothing at present that I would prefer and frankly the way this semiconductor shortage is going I can see 3 months as being the minimum for any factory order from almost all manufacturers, so I’m not sure that I would gain much time wise and I would obviously prefer to wait longer for a better car than accept second best for the sake of a month or two.

#154455 Reply
    JohnE

We got an 2.0i xline xdrive on order as well (currently x1 2.5d msport on extended lease).

We ordered at the beginning of April and the sales person said delivery would be end of May which I never believed from the start anyway. I’ve checked the order status with BMW chat a few times and they still say delivery in the week of 26 July which isn’t too bad if that won’t change.

Disappointed to read that the 12v connector under the dash has gone. I’m using this for the dashcam as well. Haven’t seen the current model in real life as we ordered before the showrooms re-opened and we already knew what an X1 looked like anyway 😉

#154463 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

JohnE – Might be worth checking the status again today. Mine was showing the same delivery week as yours up until yesterday, but has changed today to week 38 (end Sep). To be fair to my dealer, they did say to expect a 5 month wait when I ordered and this would be 6 months, but I’m beginning to wonder if the further delays on mine are due to all the options I have added, most of which are probably semiconductor heavy!

#154486 Reply
    machoco

like i said you can get it with the larger nav

#154493 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yet another update on my X1 delivery date saga. The dealer has contacted BMW Group today following the news that my build slot had slipped to September and they have agreed to move it back to the end of June. I will believe it when I see it though. However (and as predicted) they cannot oblige with all the options. Apparently there is a stop on all BMW Harman/Kardon sound systems due to component issues, so my car won’t have this option fitted. That’s a real pain as I regretted not getting it on my last BMW.

As an aside, before I had the update late today that my build slot had been brought forward again, I called in to the local Ford dealer to look at the Kuga. The sales manager was a really helpful and honest chap who told me that any orders placed for new Ford cars now will be Nov / Dec delivery earliest and quite likely next year – all because of the semiconductor shortage. He felt that the problem was worsening and that almost all manufacturers were having issues now, but not being up front with customers about it. I had said that I was getting frustrated with the delays on my BMW order and if things got worse I might cancel and look elsewhere. His honest assessment was that I would be going out of the frying pan and into the fire!

#154521 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Glos Guy BMW like many other car manufacturers are prioritising orders based on invoice price not time of order. Essentially, prioritising vehicles which provide the highest profit margins, which in my view is in very poor taste.

My X5 order was cancelled last month due the Harmon Kardon and Air Suspension restrictions, although those components are still being supplied to BMW they are unfortunately being supplied in limited quantities, which realises that any of the components on a ‘shortage list’ will be prioritised for those top of the range models that have the aformentioned options as standard equipment or those orders that are of high value/profit. BMW clearly have full order books wherby they can pick and choose which orders to build and which ones to completely cancel. I was given no option to defer or delay my £86k X5 order, quite simply cancel!

The present semicoductor shortages have arrived at a difficult time for manufacturers as it is that time of the year when the current model vehicles are run out in readiness for the new model year vehicles which causes all manner of manufacturing and logistical issues in normal times. Covid and the semiconductor shortages have complicated matters immensely along with unprecedented new car demand.

#154527 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – I’m so sorry to hear that you have had to cancel your X5 order. I’d be surprised if BMW are doing as you suggest though, given that their cars are manufactured in countless different factories in multiple countries and, as a result, they probably source components from different places as well, dependent on where each factory is. The fact that your order (which must be in the top 5% of BMW sales by price) can’t be fulfilled also seems to suggest that the highest value orders are equally affected. I absolutely get the logic that the chips will be prioritised to ensure that standard equipment can be fulfilled as that makes sense, but losing an £86k order such as yours is probably equivalent in value to two or three ‘average’ orders, so it feels as though the pain is being shared evenly! I am anticipating further contact from BMW that yet another option can’t be fulfilled. The loss of Harman/Kardon is a real pain, but if anything else has to go it may be a show stopper and, like you, I may well cancel.

#154528 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Glos Guy- I don’t think you’ll be alone in cancelling due to loss of optional extras. If not for this reason a lot of people will cancel if they see a sizeable drop in the ap which they originally paid.

#154529 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy- I don’t think you’ll be alone in cancelling due to loss of optional extras. If not for this reason a lot of people will cancel if they see a sizeable drop in the ap which they originally paid.

We ordered in the last week of March and the AP dropped £100 with the 1st April list. Without me even asking, the dealer cancelled the Motability order and re-ordered immediately in order to save us the £100. If the same happens on 1st July I’m sure they will do the same. Obviously this makes no difference to the actual car order as thats with the manufacturer and is independent of the Motability ‘order’ which, in reality, is just admin. In the unlikely event that something better comes on the scheme in Q3 we may well cancel, as long as the car hasn’t been built by then. If more options get binned I might cancel and wait for the all new X1 due next year, but that’s a risk as it may not join Motability until some time after launch and the way the scheme is going I can see us being restricted to lower spec / lower powered variants than we can get at present. Also, I’m not sure I can put up with the Tiguan for another year 😂

#154530 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Ha ha , would they still cancel the order for you if the ap dropped by say £1000?

#154531 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

We’ve also ordered an X1….when the dealer quoted August/Sept, I’m now assuming he meant 2022 🙂

Our current car is up to the end of a 5yr lease earl Dec….so that could be interesting.

At this rate I’m tempted to go back to being private and picking up a year old X1.

#154532 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The AP makes no difference to the dealers, Richardw.

#154533 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Ha ha , would they still cancel the order for you if the ap dropped by say £1000?

That’s extremely unlikely to happen, but the answer is yes. It’s purely an admin thing and takes minutes to do. The dealer doesn’t receive the AP, so whether the AP is £3k or £1k the dealer receives exactly the same amount of money for the car (a fixed handling fee from Motability, plus any manufacturer incentives). As the dealer said to me on 1st April, “it’s better in your pocket than Motabilities”! As I say, it’s not the order that gets cancelled, it’s the admin with Motability. Two very different things.

#154537 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

That’s extremely unlikely to happen, but the answer is yes. It’s purely an admin thing and takes minutes to do. The dealer doesn’t receive the AP, so whether the AP is £3k or £1k the dealer receives exactly the same amount of money for the car (a fixed handling fee from Motability, plus any manufacturer incentives). As the dealer said to me on 1st April, “it’s better in your pocket than Motabilities”! As I say, it’s not the order that gets cancelled, it’s the admin with Motability. Two very different things.

Well that’s good to know and on that basis I’m just going to wait for as long as it takes.

#154563 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

NosherN – I’m so sorry to hear that you have had to cancel your X5 order. I’d be surprised if BMW are doing as you suggest though, given that their cars are manufactured in countless different factories in multiple countries and, as a result, they probably source components from different places as well, dependent on where each factory is. The fact that your order (which must be in the top 5% of BMW sales by price) can’t be fulfilled also seems to suggest that the highest value orders are equally affected. I absolutely get the logic that the chips will be prioritised to ensure that standard equipment can be fulfilled as that makes sense, but losing an £86k order such as yours is probably equivalent in value to two or three ‘average’ orders, so it feels as though the pain is being shared evenly! I am anticipating further contact from BMW that yet another option can’t be fulfilled. The loss of Harman/Kardon is a real pain, but if anything else has to go it may be a show stopper and, like you, I may well cancel.

Glos Guy be prepared to be surprised! BMW CEO Oliver Zipse quoted in a recent media article “Zipse said, however, that he did not expect the shortage to have a major impact on production and the company would respond by prioritising production of cars with higher profit margins.”

The fact that vehicles are manufactured and components sourced from different countries has no relevance as each vehicle has unique components, especially where semi conductors are concenrned. It is not possible to take semi conductors from one vehicle line and transfer them to another because it is a more profitable vehicle. It is fact that customer orders are being prioritised based on profit margin within the constraints of maintaining product line up demand. The fact that BMW can dismiss valuable vehicle orders confirms the high demand for such vehicles.

#154571 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – Interesting, but what I’m trying to say is that there surely can only be a very small proportion of BMW’s with higher profit margins than the £86k X5 that you had ordered, yet it fell victim to the shortage?

#154690 Reply
    JohnE

Just checked and delivery is still sccheduled for July 26 so fingers crossed. (Our order is without any extra options.)

#154691 Reply
    JohnE

… which was a reply to Gloss Guy’s post of June 3, 11:51. Not sure why the quote didn’t work

#154693 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Just checked and delivery is still sccheduled for July 26 so fingers crossed. (Our order is without any extra options.)

Same week as me, but I’m sceptical that I will get mine then. Fingers crossed though!

#154696 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

NosherN – Interesting, but what I’m trying to say is that there surely can only be a very small proportion of BMW’s with higher profit margins than the £86k X5 that you had ordered, yet it fell victim to the shortage?

Apologies, I misinterpretted your comments to read that you did not think that BMW would prioritise orders in order of profit margin?!

Your thoughts are exactly as I thought too. My £86k X5 clearly wasnt deemed profitable enough. With waiting lists of the X5 45e hybrid approaching 12 months and which is designed with air suspension so there is no alternative along with high demand for M50i models in the US, which have Harmon Kardon as standard fit equipment it appears there were not enough components to go around and that cancelling my oprderwas the only option unless I accepted a Bowers & Wilkins system at £3250.00. Unfortunately I had to draw the line somewhere having already exceeded my initial budget to qualify for Air Suspension.

BMW’s order book for X5’s must be well stocked if they can afford to turn down orders of the value that my car was, and they did not even give me the option to defer or delay!

My X1 is still scheduled for the end of July early August, which only has 3 options, those being Sun Protection Glass, Sports Seats and Lumbar Support.

#154717 Reply
    JohnE

Hmmm, we got sport seats in our current X1 and didn’t select the option on our new order. Is it worth the money to upgrade? I thought the standard seats would be just fine but couldn’t check as the showrooms were closed when we ordered

#154726 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

John

We had a test drive in an Msport X1 (no xline available to test) and liked the sports seats (the test had the alcantara option) .  My wife commented that they supported her back better.  I found they held me in firmly as I threw the car around corners ;-)….all in the name of testing!

Both my wife and I are not that tall/big so the seats are a good fit.    If they are anything like my dad’s 330e seats then we can’t wait for the car.

#154734 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hmmm, we got sport seats in our current X1 and didn’t select the option on our new order. Is it worth the money to upgrade? I thought the standard seats would be just fine but couldn’t check as the showrooms were closed when we ordered

We had two long test drives in X1’s, one with standard seats and one with sport seats. I am 6ft 2 and large build (polite for fat 😂) and my wife is 5ft 8 and normal weight. I could have coped with the standard seats but they are short and lack under thigh support. There is no tilt facility on them to compensate, which makes it worse. My wife found them to be very poor and rated them about 3 out of 10. I was worried that the sport seats would be too ‘snug’ for my build, but they were fine. With sport seats you get electric side bolster adjustment and manual tilt, as well as the pull out front pad, so have a lot more seating position options. Even with the under thigh pad in its most retracted position it is still deeper under the thighs than the standard seat. My only criticism is that they are over firm. After two and a half hours driving I was fine though and oddly I found getting in and out of the car to be easier with the sport seats. We changed our order and added them. Hope that helps.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
Reply To: BMW X1
Your information: