BMW X1

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by machoco.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #134786 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I know not everyone here agrees but I have nothing but praise for our X1 (apart from the lack of map lights) now 30 months old.  I had to make two long trips yesterday and today – about 350 miles in all. There was no hurry and it was mostly motorway and dual carriageway cruising at about 63 to 65 mph indicated to keep ahead of the lorries, which means about 1600 to 1700 rpm.  The computer showed 50.6 mpg overall which I find staggeringly good for a heavy SUV with a 195bhp twin spool turbo engine.  Even driving locally around town, it seems to average around 40 or better.

It’s due to go in the summer but we are considering keeping it longer.  Are there any other similar petrol cars that are as economical?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #134793 Reply
    Intranicity

I have the 2 series 220d X drive auto, averaged 51.6 over 59k miles, such a shame that the diesel options have all gone as it’s been a superb car and the BMW customer experience has been great.  Looking at EV now as petrol is just too expensive for my circumstance.

#134799 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I know not everyone here agrees but I have nothing but praise for our X1 (apart from the lack of map lights) now 30 months old. I had to make two long trips yesterday and today – about 350 miles in all. There was no hurry and it was mostly motorway and dual carriageway cruising at about 63 to 65 mph indicated to keep ahead of the lorries, which means about 1600 to 1700 rpm. The computer showed 50.6 mpg overall which I find staggeringly good for a heavy SUV with a 195bhp twin spool turbo engine. Even driving locally around town, it seems to average around 40 or better. It’s due to go in the summer but we are considering keeping it longer. Are there any other similar petrol cars that are as economical?

Great to hear real life experiences Wigwam. That’s excellent mpg and a great deal better than the horror stories being reported by XC40 drivers. I really like the look of the X1 and feel sure that it will have the best engine and transmission combination of any of the small SUV’s that we can choose from. For us, it lost out to the Tiguan when we renewed in 2018 due to being a bit smaller, less well equipped and, most notably, we felt that the seats were very poor and too small, but if my wife can’t get in and out of the 3 Series Touring then we will take another look as I believe that some of these things have changed since. However, I think it’s rumoured that an all new X1 should be out next year?

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Glos Guy.
    #134813 Reply
    Lou

Wigwam, Thankyou so much for your post Iv been hoping someone would write there thoughts up! Would you say the 1.5 petrol engine would be quite laggy for this size shell? Iv always had 2ltr diesels and the option weren’t there in a manual but that MPG you’re getting looks pretty good.

#134818 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

I know not everyone here agrees but I have nothing but praise for our X1 (apart from the lack of map lights) now 30 months old. I had to make two long trips yesterday and today – about 350 miles in all. There was no hurry and it was mostly motorway and dual carriageway cruising at about 63 to 65 mph indicated to keep ahead of the lorries, which means about 1600 to 1700 rpm. The computer showed 50.6 mpg overall which I find staggeringly good for a heavy SUV with a 195bhp twin spool turbo engine. Even driving locally around town, it seems to average around 40 or better. It’s due to go in the summer but we are considering keeping it longer. Are there any other similar petrol cars that are as economical?

My driving style is cross between Ms. Daisy and nutcase (90%/10%) and I always use ECO mode to maximise fuel efficiency. With that in mind, for localised driving (town, stop/start, low speed, constant braking), I’m currently achieving 43mpg after working the maths out for myself (my trip computer underestimated the true MPG). On the motorway (steady 56 – 62mph speed, cruise control active, air-con on, high speed), I’m achieving around 47mpg in my FWD, 2.0L X2 automatic petrol.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Aygo1991.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#134822 Reply
    RICHARD WAITES

We currently have the 2 series Grand Tourer. It’s the 190bhp x-drive and has 7 seats. The car has been nothing short of amazing. Returned well over 50mpg on trips to Glencoe, Wales etc and I never use the eco mode. Very comfortable and hugely practical for a large family. All this for a 1399 ap. Nothing currently comes close at the moment. Only saving grace is we don’t need a 7 seater anymore so options have increased somewhat.

#134825 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My driving style is cross between Ms. Daisy and nutcase (90%/10%) and I always use ECO mode to maximise fuel efficiency. With that in mind, for localised driving (town, stop/start, low speed, constant braking), I’m currently achieving 43mpg after working the maths out for myself (my trip computer underestimated the true MPG). On the motorway (steady 56 – 62mph speed, cruise control active, air-con on, high speed), I’m achieving around 47mpg in my FWD, 2.0L X2 automatic petrol.

Thats very good economy. I notice that your motorway speeds are quite low compared to most drivers. Can I just ask, when you are in ‘nutcase’ mode, do you notice a big difference in economy? 😂 The reason I ask is that my normal motorway cruising speed is around 80mph and with our Tiguan the mpg really drops when speed gets above 70 mph, whereas with all the BMW’s I have had over the years it only really starts to fall at speeds over 80mph and my 520d Auto was 10mpg better at 80 mph than the Tiguan. I have found all cars to be extremely economical at the motorway speeds you travel at, as that seems to be the optimum speed for mpg, but I’ve been disappointed at how the Tiguan mpg plummets as speeds rise.

#134833 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

I have just recently swapped my X1 18d and have often said that it was, on balance, the best car I’ve ever owned. I uhm’d and ahd’d so much about getting another but it’s purely a personal choice that I like to change completely.
    For me, the X1 ticked every single box with the only issues for me being the BMW app and the suspension being too hard for me.
    My driving style is pretty smooth and the best I saw on a run (120 mile round trip) was 66mpg! Around home it would constantly return 50+mpg. Only slow, heavy traffic would force it under 50mpg.
    The gearbox was especially smooth and even the 18d had buckets of torque.

Enjoy your X1. It will serve you well.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#134842 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s all to do with frontal area Glos Guy, the taller the car the harder it is to push through the air.  So an SUV at 80 has to displace a lot of air. The X1 manages about 42-45 in spirited driving

#134895 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

Thats very good economy. I notice that your motorway speeds are quite low compared to most drivers. Can I just ask, when you are in ‘nutcase’ mode, do you notice a big difference in economy? 😂 The reason I ask is that my normal motorway cruising speed is around 80mph and with our Tiguan the mpg really drops when speed gets above 70 mph, whereas with all the BMW’s I have had over the years it only really starts to fall at speeds over 80mph and my 520d Auto was 10mpg better at 80 mph than the Tiguan. I have found all cars to be extremely economical at the motorway speeds you travel at, as that seems to be the optimum speed for mpg, but I’ve been disappointed at how the Tiguan mpg plummets as speeds rise.

Occasionally, when I go above my limit and hit 85mph, I find the MPG drops by 0.5mpg increments every 2 minutes or so. But yes, as Wigwam said, SUVs and crossovers typically require more fuel to push through the air due to their huge frontal areas.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#135489 Reply
    nosherN

Glos Guy I think you may be very disappointed with the 3 series touring if interior space is a priority. The X1 has a larger boot space and based on my comparison of both cars the X1 is roomier and easier to ingress and egress due to its higher seating position.

My 3 year old 20i X-Line X-drive has been a revolution as I never ever thought I would get attached to a car like I have the X1. Its boot is quite voluminous with the ability to remove the boot floor covering for extra depth as well as slide the rear seats forward. Fuel economy has been the biggest surprise when during summer 2019 I achieved 54mpg on a run down to Cornwall loaded with 4 adults and a bootfull of neccesities for my holiday. The online computer was indicating a theoretical fuel distance of 804 miles with the fuel I had in the tank.

If it was not for the AP doubling in price I would be ordering another one!

#135496 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy I think you may be very disappointed with the 3 series touring if interior space is a priority. The X1 has a larger boot space and based on my comparison of both cars the X1 is roomier and easier to ingress and egress due to its higher seating position. My 3 year old 20i X-Line X-drive has been a revolution as I never ever thought I would get attached to a car like I have the X1. Its boot is quite voluminous with the ability to remove the boot floor covering for extra depth as well as slide the rear seats forward. Fuel economy has been the biggest surprise when during summer 2019 I achieved 54mpg on a run down to Cornwall loaded with 4 adults and a bootfull of neccesities for my holiday. The online computer was indicating a theoretical fuel distance of 804 miles with the fuel I had in the tank. If it was not for the AP doubling in price I would be ordering another one!

Hi Nosher. Great feedback, thanks. For some reason that I cannot fathom, my wife has a real dislike of the X1, especially the side profile which she says isn’t SUV like 🙄 Now that the 320i Touring has gone the X1 20i might be a bit more appealing if some of the things we didn’t like last time have been addressed. Certainly it will be easier to get in and out of than the lower 3 series touring although TBH the latter is a much better quality car IMO.

#135651 Reply
    nosherN

I agree with your view that the 3 Series has better and more updated tech. However, I have not experienced any squeaks or rattles in 22,000 miles and the X1 is in my opinion the most practible compared with the 3 series if you are a wheelchair user. The X1 also has 4 wheel drive.

The most recent X1 also has full LED lighting all around (mine only has front LED lights) and a few other updates compared to my X1. When ordering my X1 I optioned a number of extras including sport seats (the standard seats offer no lateral support on seat squab, although seat bolsters are electrically adjustable), power fold mirrors, lumbar support, rear privacy glass and auto dimming rear view mirror, an option that should be standard fit on a vehicle of X-Line trim level.

As the AP price has doubled I will most probably look at selecting a highest spec Q3, Ateca or T-Roc with 4 wheel drive.

All the best with whatever you choose.

#135654 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

NosherN, I would caution that the standard seats are much improved since you chose yours. They are not as big as some of the competition but MrsW and I who are anatomically very different to each other have no problem with them.

#135667 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys. All very interesting.

Nosher – you are quite right that there are a few advantages to the X1 over the 3 Series, notably the higher seating position (and easier access that goes with that), the better power engine (now that the 320i Touring has gone) and the fact that you can get 4WD. There are very few decent SUV’s left on the scheme that you can get with 4WD unless you are comfortable with a mid-spec or smaller engine. Surprised if the boot is bigger than the 3 Series Touring, but will keep an open mind when we can eventually check them both out. The 3 Series however feels a good step up from the X1 in terms of quality of fit and finish and there are very few things that we would want to add to the very generous standard spec, whereas we would be adding a fair few options to the X1 which would make it more expensive.

Wigwam – I thought I had read somewhere that the seats had been upgraded. That’s good, because it was a major reason that we discounted it last time as we thought that the standard seats were far too small. The boot also felt small compared to the Tiguan, but if we get an X1 we would opt for the sliding rear seat bench so that we have some wriggle room.

Leaving aside my wife’s illogical dislike of the X1, my remaining concern is that the interior is looking very dated now compared to the competition and I believe that a new model is due in the next year or so. It would bug me to get one and then for it to be replaced by a newer model within the first year!

#135715 Reply
    machoco

Ive ordered the new one and have to say was lovely in showroom.

The seats are from the mini range aswell as the upgraded sports seat which imho are deffo a must have item at 300 odd quid look and feel very nice.

Also lots of offers on bmw with upto 500 off.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Reply #134793 in BMW X1
Your information: