BMW iX1 20e M-Sport

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have a BMW iX1 20e M-Sport with Technology Plus Pack on a full day test tomorrow. I shall post my thoughts on my “The Search Begins” thread, as it’s one of just two cars I’ve currently shortlisted, neither of which fully fits the bill in truth.

If there’s anything that anyone would like me to check out during the test tomorrow please post it here and I will endeavour to provide feedback for you.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Glos Guy
      Participant

I suppose it would make sense if I stated the specific things that I’m going to be checking;

Performance – whilst 200bhp is more than adequate in an ICE car, does the added weight of a BEV make it feel underpowered?

Range – when I tested an iX1 30e last year, the car lost 100 miles range after just 50 miles driving. How does the 20e compare?

Infotainment – how usable is OS9, especially now that the iDrive rotary controller is no more on all 1 and 2 series cars (a really bad decision by BMW).

Ride & Handling – what’s the ride quality like with M-Sport Adaptive suspension? Does the extra weight of a BEV noticeably affect the handling versus our current petrol X1 (which is 4WD – the 20e is 2WD).

Driving Characteristics – I didn’t enjoy the EV driving experience when I had the 30e. I really disliked the sensation of regenerative braking, but I might have inadvertently put it into a high setting. Does it still drive and feel like a BMW / drivers car?

Road Noise – the engine in our 2.0i petrol X1 is near silent, so I didn’t find the 30e to be any quieter in that respect but, as with our current X1, there was slightly more road noise than I’d like. Has this been improved with the 20e?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
        Genesos
        Participant

Hi

Very interested in all your thoughts, had a one hour test drive of the IX2 at Cotswold BMW as they did not have any Ix1 demo available, and a IX1 Msport 20e at Bristol BMW but only around their private site as the car had not been PDI and still had the protection stickers on. Primarily interested in the ride as lot’s of reviews state very firm, also the performance as again reviews quite negative with the 20e.

Test drove the Audi Q4 straight after the IX2 and was not impressed

Would go for the 30 xLINE but would need the tech pack as basic spec very poor.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Genesos.
          kezo
          Participant

Test drove the Audi Q4 straight after the IX2 and was not impressed

Was this the Q45 etron with the updated 286bhp motor or the old Q40 with the 201bhp?

One of the iX1 downfalls for me is the smallis 64.5kWh battery choice by BMW compared to other manufacturers.

Glos Guy
            Participant

@Genesos We went to Cotswold BMW Cheltenham a few weeks ago. We didn’t talk to anyone, as we were just eliminating cars with access difficulties and we sadly eliminated the 330e, i4, X2 and X5 (which I was considering buying privately) for that reason. They had an iX1 20e parked outside which I assumed was a demonstrator, but I didn’t ask.

I’ve struggled to find reviews on the 20e, but those that I have found have said that whilst it’s not super fast like some EVs, the performance is fine. I’ve also not seen anything too critical on the ride quality. I usually avoid M-Sport models, but I’m hoping that the adaptive suspension will iron out the worst of it.

I agree that it’s a great shame that the 30e is only available in xLine trim and has none of the bundled packs that you get with the M-Sport. I simply could not live with the wheels on the xLine. They must be amongst the ugliest wheels on any car on the road at present and even the upgraded wheel options on the xLine aren’t attractive.

I don’t know if you’ve clocked it or not, but there has been a change in the bundled packs with the 20e iX1 in quarter 2. As before, you can get it with no packs or with the Technology Plus Pack. However, in Jan-March the final option was M-Sport Pro Pack with Technology Pack, which loses Head-Up Display and additional infotainment options that the Technology Plus Pack has. In Q2 you can now get the M-Sport Pro Pack bundled with the Technology Plus Pack.

Genesos
              Participant

Kezo – The Q4 tested was the older 40 with 201bhp, no one seems to have a 45 demo yet. Plus the AP has gone up £1500 for the 45 this quarter 🙁

Glos Guy –  Agree about the x line wheels, felt the same about the Audi Q4 sport wheels

Not sure how much difference the boost button on the 20e would make, and I had noticed the tech+ addition, (plus £200 reduction to the AP this quarter) but not sure I would add the pro package as cannot see much gain other than uprated braking.

Glos Guy
                Participant

Got the car now. I’ve worked out how to turn ‘B’ mode on and off (one pedal driving) but cannot find any way of adjusting sensitivity of regenerative braking otherwise. Anybody know? It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes when you take your foot off the accelerator it’s no different to a petrol car, other times it brakes, and I’ve not adjusted anything. Very disconcerting. Also cannot find a way to reset the trip computer, so it’s proving difficult to establish miles driven versus range lost. Have to say OS9 is very complicated compared to the older version I have ?

kezo
                  Participant

Try the paddle shifters beyhind steering wheel

D Mode (Drive):Low: Minimal regen effect. The car coasts more freely.
                    Medium: Moderate regen effect. Suitable for everyday driving.
                    High: Strong regen effect. Provides aggressive deceleration when you lift off the accelerator.
                    Adaptive: The car intelligently adjusts regen based on driving conditions.

Fastbike1000
                    Participant

Glos Guy, how much battery do you have? Why I ask is that you have less regeneration with a full battery, basically you can’t store it in the battery. I get full regeneration from braking when my battery is about 85% downwards.

kezo
                      Participant

Glos Guy, how much battery do you have? Why I ask is that you have less regeneration with a full battery, basically you can’t store it in the battery. I get full regeneration from braking when my battery is about 85% downwards.

He wants to put it in D mode, so he can use level 1 or 2 regen braking, so he doesn’t get rear ended or head buts the window on a first time EV test drive ?

Glos Guy
                        Participant

Thanks @kezo and @Fastbike1000 I did a bit of googling and found a YouTube video which showed me how to find it in the menus, which I’ve now done. It was on ‘adaptive’ which explains why it was braking at some times (approaching corners etc) but not others. Very clever but disconcerting if you aren’t used to it. It shouldn’t be that difficult to find IMHO. Voice control was no help either. I’ve set it to ‘low’ now so it should be more normal and I’m taking my wife out in it soon so wanted to get it sorted before that! I still can’t find any trip computer settings to check how many miles I’ve done, so have given up on that, which is a shame as I wanted to see how the remaining range compared to miles driven, as that was a disappointment with the 30e, this being a critical consideration. The range was 85% at pick up. The dealer had very kindly collected it this morning from another dealership 35 miles away for me.

72 dudes
                          Participant

@Glos Guy

You’ve probably set off now, but press the button on the RH of the steering wheel with the 3 lines on it. This allows you to scroll through options of what appears in the driver display, one of which is Journey Data

Meanwhile the usual BMW top button on the end of the indicator stalk moves through various journeys like since factory, since last charge, since start of journey and individual .

A long press on the stalk button will reset the data.

At least, this applies to my iDrive 8.5 version!

Have fun!

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                            2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                            2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Glos Guy
                            Participant

@Glos Guy You’ve probably set off now, but press the button on the RH of the steering wheel with the 3 lines on it. This allows you to scroll through options of what appears in the driver display, one of which is Journey Data Meanwhile the usual BMW top button on the end of the indicator stalk moves through various journeys like since factory, since last charge, since start of journey and individual . A long press on the stalk button will reset the data. At least, this applies to my iDrive 8.5 version! Have fun!

Thanks for responding. Leaving soon. I found Journey Data but pressing and holding that selector on steering wheel isn’t resetting it. There is no button on the end of the indicator stalk ( mine has it and does the same as yours). Not impressed with OS9 so far. Way too complicated and not intuitive.

TheSUVguy
                              Participant

Gloss guy I’d recommend checking out the Nissan Ariya if you haven’t already, similar range to the bmw, loads of deals for an extra £750 off the ap at the moment too. Looking forward to your bmw review though, we’re eligible for two motability cars, already have the Ariya and now waiting to see what drops in price in the next quarter ix1 or the q4 or if something else comes on.

Glos Guy
                                Participant

Car returned safely and I will post a review on my “The Search Begins” thread now.

aslanarito
                                  Participant

“In Q2 you can now get the M-Sport Pro Pack bundled with the Technology Plus Pack.”

I don’t see this on the website – where did you get this info from?

Glos Guy
                                    Participant

Q2 Prices below (see last line)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by wmcforum. Reason: Removed my error. Thank's GG
                                      aslanarito
                                      Participant

Where are you getting this information from – they aren’t publicially available on the BMW website so please post a link to the website you sourced them from

The model is not available on the motability search either and is definitely a model I’d go for so your response would be greatly appreciated as I want to order it ASAP

Glos Guy
                                        Participant

Where are you getting this information from – they aren’t publicially available on the BMW website so please post a link to the website you sourced them from The model is not available on the motability search either and is definitely a model I’d go for so your response would be greatly appreciated as I want to order it ASAP

You aren’t looking hard enough! If you Google ‘BMW Motability’ you will get a page with a link to the current BMW Motability price list. Here’s the full Q2 price list to save you doing that;

https://www.bmw.co.uk/content/dam/bmw/marketGB/bmw_co_uk/buying/new-cars/motability/pricelist/BMW_Motability_Price_List_Q2_2024_Customer.pdf.asset.1712220485237.pdf

aslanarito
                                          Participant

And the motability website mate? As that’s what the dealerships have to use to place orders

Glos Guy
                                            Participant

And the motability website mate? As that’s what the dealerships have to use to place orders

You will need to go to a BMW dealership and get them to check on the order system, which we cannot see. There is only one iX20 with an AP of £7,249. There is either an error with the BMW price list or the listing on the Motability web search tool. The BMW information clearly shows that this model includes both the Technology Plus Pack and the M-Sport Pro Pack. This is different from the Q1 BMW price list, which just had the basic Technology Pack with the M-Sport Pro Pack shown against this model, at a higher AP.

The Motability search tool tends to just list abbreviated terms and still describes the car as it did in Q1 (‘Tech Pack’), with just the AP having reduced. I was seriously considering this car until I had a full day test drive and decided against it. However, if I had wanted to order one I would have expected the dealer to order the car with the Plus pack, as that is what BMW state it comes with. The order would still be placed against the order number that Motability use, but it is BMW who determine what kit the car has once ordered. I cannot give you any more information than that, so please direct any further questions to your dealer.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.