BMW I4

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan
    Participant

I’m sure all of you who have one on order, have been eagerly waiting (as of I) for Q1 24 to see what will be updated… and now the msport is available! (With 3 different packs too).

now the question on my head. If we want to switch to the msport model with the dealer, will they have to raise a whole new order with the factory, or will they be able to trim msport with the original factory slot?

Viewing 25 replies - 576 through 600 (of 619 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AKX
      Participant

@Ryan Just to clear it up the typical HiFi speakers would have a tweeter in the pillar and one speaker on the door = 2 speakers each door at the front, however for the i4 they have changed the design and removed the tweeter in the pillars and added 2 separate speakers on the actual door, one near the handle and one where you store water bottles, which add up to 2 speakers per door just like the HiFi.

Rowein
        Participant

I can confirm that the i4 Msport pro pack has the base 6 speaker system, the front speaker in the middle dashboard has no sound coming out of it and is only there for visual reasons to keep them all looking aesthetically the same. I must say the base system does lack sound overall and I am disappointed to say the least and regret not upgrading to the HK system. Several dealerships and BMW genius have all confirmed the base 6 speaker system which I will go with and also my own experience with it. I hope this helps and answers everyones questions. Side not I have owned the vehcile for nearly 2 months now also.

AKX
          Participant

@Rowein I’m baffled, you say no sound comes out the middle but I can feel it active when I’m playing music.

Let’s compare the 2 (basic level) speakers I’ve had, I just gave back a 2020 BMW to get this i4 which had the actual base speaker system it consisted of only 1 speaker per door, and 2 under the seats which totals to 6.

The i4 has 2 active speakers per door at the front, 1 speaker per door at the back, and 2 woofers under the front seats, so how is it possible to be a base system? It also sounds slightly better and louder than the base speaker I had in my last BMW that I gave back 4 weeks ago after having almost 4 years.

I agree with it lacking bass and overall surround sound feel especially if you’ve had upgraded speakers on any car before, but it’s not that bad.

72 dudes
            Participant

Following with interest even though I have the HK in mine!

There’s only two possible explanations:

Either AKX’s car is fitted with the HiFi system “by mistake” (like Budest’s car came with ACC when it shouldn’t have), OR,

he is mistaken and those speakers he thinks he has are actually dummies, there in case the future owner decides to upgrade to HK.

It just seems unlikely that several dealers and different operatives at BMW Genius can be wrong in this.

Got me popcorn out for the next installment ?

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
              2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
              2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Participant

Following with interest even though I have the HK in mine! There’s only two possible explanations: Either AKX’s car is fitted with the HiFi system “by mistake” (like Budest’s car came with ACC when it shouldn’t have), OR, he is mistaken and those speakers he thinks he has are actually dummies, there in case the future owner decides to upgrade to HK. It just seems unlikely that several dealers and different operatives at BMW Genius can be wrong in this. Got me popcorn out for the next installment ?

Following this myself @72dudes. I have the Sport with HK and have heard the standard sound in the M Sport and they are night and day. The HK is in a different league so I hope that anyone who ordered the HK gets their order honoured and in a timely fashion.

Re the ACC in my car. It has got to be an error on BMW’s part as I followed my car’s progress through the build phase via Genius and am positive the car I’m driving is the one I ordered and not one that was someone else’s cancelled order.

Ryan
                Participant

@72dudes

are you suggesting bmw can add H/K aftermarket? Because if so why have they not mentioned this to me after specifying my (7months wait!) car wrong

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ryan.
                  Mm7
                  Participant

I picked up my M sport with tech pack and must say the HK is really good. In fact i love the head up display too but the wireless charging is rubbish.
                    I was debating in my head whether I should have stuck to the sport and not wasted the extra money but i don’t regret it one bit. The M sport is incredible, the seats are so comfortable and brooklyn grey with sun protection has got the heads turning.
                    Also Marshall’s honoured the £500 cash back that we were debating last year

The car is well worth the 7 Month wait.

Rowein
                    Participant

You have now baffled me too as I have just gone and checked again, there is no air or vibration coming out of the middle front dashboard speaker which seems to sugget it is only a dummy as the other speakers on the side door are producing air and vibration out of them which leads me to believe they are in use. Maybe as someone else has suggested  you just got lucky and been given the hifi speaker system added as a mistake. But I am 95% sure it is only 6 speakers due to no sound or air or vibration coming out of the middle dashboard speaker as if it was hifi it would have showed some signs which it aint.

marky36
                      Participant

This blog here explains in detail the differences between base speakers and hifi and where each speaker is positioned etc.

https://www.audiokit.fi/kirjoitus/bmw-i4-base-audio-hifi-676-audio-upgrade

72 dudes
                        Participant

This blog here explains in detail the differences between base speakers and hifi and where each speaker is positioned etc. https://www.audiokit.fi/kirjoitus/bmw-i4-base-audio-hifi-676-audio-upgrade

Interesting…

So the HiFi set up does not have any woofers under the front seats as AKX thought. The differences are that the HiFi uses a central dash woofer and has lower impedance in the door speakers.

Which begs the question, does AKX actually have HK in his car??

1961keightley
                          Participant

Marshall’s  honoured our 500 quid

head up display is a massive upgrade especially with navigation

my old xr iPhone charges with no problems which is a surprise

hk sound system is impressive

enjoy

Elliot
                            Participant

The ACC is already installed in all the cars, all it needs is switching on.

There are plenty of places on the internet that can do this for a fraction of what BMW charge.

72 dudes
                              Participant

The ACC is already installed in all the cars, all it needs is switching on. There are plenty of places on the internet that can do this for a fraction of what BMW charge.

Any links @Elliot, as I might look into this?

I have read that any “unauthorised” software upgrades are switched off at Service time though

Ayzee
                                Participant
                                  Ayzee
                                  Participant

Production is due July, my car is due to be built week commencing June, miss out by a week…

Mm7
                                    Participant

Does anyone know how to turn this off. My i4 keeps breaking before i have pressed the break. im not sure if its noticing a distance from the car in front and keeping a distance but Im not use to this takeover.

maybe i just have to learn to get use to it?

Participant

Does anyone know how to turn this off. My i4 keeps breaking before i have pressed the break. im not sure if its noticing a distance from the car in front and keeping a distance but Im not use to this takeover. maybe i just have to learn to get use to it?

@Mm7
                                        do you have it in B mode when driving? Sounds like you have. There are two drive modes on the ‘gear panel’. B is regeneration mode when the brakes are applied when not accelerating. It is supposed to regenerate a little charge. I actually prefer this mode myself.

Mm7
                                        Participant

@budest its on D mode, i dont uze the B mode. if i get close to the car in front it will break before i break, if im turning into a street and havent slowed down yet and there is a car at the junction it will slow me down and break before i have even attempted.

Participant

@budest its on D mode, i dont uze the B mode. if i get close to the car in front it will break before i break, if im turning into a street and havent slowed down yet and there is a car at the junction it will slow me down and break before i have even attempted.

Does this explain your issue @Mm7??

Mm7
                                            Participant

@budest yes! This is it, I will change the setting based on that video. Thank you!!

Glos Guy
                                              Participant

Sounds like it’s in ‘Adaptive’ mode. This also threw me when I had an iX1 on test for the day. I couldn’t understand why it would brake at certain times and not others, until I realised that it was ‘reading’ the road conditions (bends ahead etc). I found it really disconcerting. The iX1 has the newest iDrive OS9 system and I found it to be way too complicated. I had to Google how to adjust this as the menus weren’t intuitive. I don’t know if the i4 is the same, but even on the lowest setting the car still adopted a degree of regenerative braking. You couldn’t disable it completely so that it just coasted when you lifted off the accelerator. I appreciate that this is possibly a characteristic of many EVs  but it was a major reason why I decided not to get the car. It didn’t drive as I do and also it didn’t drive like a BMW normally does.

LordMuc
                                                Participant

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

https://youtu.be/jMrvEoaDIKI?si=ixNR27J67ebtucq8

Interesting that this clip labels it an ‘all new’ model, as I think I’d fail on a ‘spot the difference’ competition versus the previous version! I suspect that it has the latest iDrive operating system (OS9) if it doesn’t already. The door mirrors that stand proud of the bodywork are standard BMW M model features (as opposed to M-Sport, which is a trim level), so won’t necessarily feature on the regular i4, unless it’s already a standard feature. It’s a good thing that it looks the same though, as I think the i4 is probably the nicest looking car on Motability at present. Sadly it wasn’t at all practical for us so we had to discount it, but the green one that we saw in the showroom looked gorgeous. I like the look of the deep rich blue one in the video. I was wondering if that was Carbon Black but being an M Model I suspect it’s an individual colour.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
                                                    AKX
                                                    Participant

@LordMuc The facelift turned out as expected, it’s identical to the current model apart from front/tail lights, and the steering wheel. I do like this new M grille tho, I may change it over via bmw parts when it actually releases, and the side mirrors are specific for M models only, but you can also buy them if you wanted. Overall, if you’ve chosen a high spec i4 there’s nothing else this facelift could offer to feel like you’re missing something.

It would be nice for them to put bigger batteries in the car with less weight than the smaller batteries currently do for more range like Porsche have done to the Taycan, and because of the big battery they estimate 500+ miles range on the car. Range would be the only ‘downside’ to the i4.

Ryan
                                                      Participant

Just to give an update – I decided to make a completely brand new order with my dealer due to the wrong specification being built. At least I get the LCI i guess, but it will be around a whole years wait now including the 7months already gone. Also, @Ayzee , this is very cheeky but if you’re missing out on the LCI by a week, making a last minute change to the specification MIGHT be able to delay its production just enough for an LCI. I have no clue if it’ll work though

Viewing 25 replies - 576 through 600 (of 619 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.