BMW i3 Hidden Features and tricks

This topic contains 70 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ian 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #90403 Reply
    Brydo

The BMW i3 120ah car has lots of HIDDEN features, theirs a secret idrive menu, a secret console menu also talked about a lot on forms is a hidden cigar socket. I also show some useful features like finding the emergency boot pull and charge flap release. Oh almost forgot i show you how to preheat the bmw i3 by the KEY!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90529 Reply
    Mike
    Participant

Well said Ian

Mike,

What was the need for that?

Obviously you believe anyone who wants/needs/likes a diesel powered vehicle is the devil incarnate. To be shot down with snidey asides from yourself. Then big up anyone who has gone electric.

It is probably why I hardly post on here anymore. I find I cannot speak openly about my choice of vehicle or fuel without being shot down by the likes of yourself – the Electric Mafia!

Mike

#90530 Reply
    Philjb

Bri i could live with the hybrid Tiguan, kodiac or similar, nothing smaller. I don’t like the Mitsubishi the interior is horrid and plastic, the tech is old and slow, the seats uncomfortable.

My disability means I’m not very mobile, can’t bend or stretch  very well, would find it difficult retrieving and putting away charging leads, if they were stored under my boot floor, then excessing charge points in my chair, I also need orthopaedic car seats which very few cars have.
    Im sure in years to come something will suit me.

At the moment it would be a step back in my independence as I’d need assistance for one thing and I don’t feel happy as a disabled person, worrying about range, trying to find accessible working charge points and having to wait for long periods on route to charge my vehicle especially if I’m on my own or with my young grand children.

#90538 Reply
    Ian

Oh what an interesting bunch we are, all different , all with different needs and so lucky to have a scheme that caters for us all! Not sure criticism of others choices is needed but heyho.

Yes I’ve got solar panels so if the sun’s up, cars available for charging then I’m going to save even more money….further savings are going to be made with a change in energy supplier meaning charging using grid electricity will be minimised aswell (use my voucher below if you ready to change gas electricity supplier to Octopus we will both get £50 free electricity).

https://share.octopus.energy/warm-snow-738

Mods hope this ok?

I set off on this journey complaining about a £5k fuel spend per year, I really feel it’s going to be in the low £100s this year. Enough for a Landcruiser…..

#90540 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Well said Ian

Mike, What was the need for that? Obviously you believe anyone who wants/needs/likes a diesel powered vehicle is the devil incarnate. To be shot down with snidey asides from yourself. Then big up anyone who has gone electric. It is probably why I hardly post on here anymore. I find I cannot speak openly about my choice of vehicle or fuel without being shot down by the likes of yourself – the Electric Mafia! Mike

Mike (I hope I have got the right one here). Are you the WP with the Tucson?

If so, I thought a while ago that you hadn’t been around for ages.

No-one should feel that they cannot post openly on the forum. And no one should shoot anyone down either for vehicle choice either– no matter how it is powered. If they do that, then report them to the mods.  (I must admit I was tempted to do that with one of Menorca Mikes previous postings but then thought why bother).

I wouldn’t say there is an Electric Mafia here – just people moving with the times I suppose. Perhaps we all ought to respect each other choices regardless though, which is what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.

I have noticed some of the posters from a year or so back seem to have disappeared which is a real shame, particularly if they felt they could no longer post here. I must admit I feel like that myself at times, but why let anyone get under my skin!

#90541 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

For gods sake Ian lives in the countryside and I’m just pleased he is going electric ! I wish Trev was still on here

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#90542 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Big Dave a previous post I called a lady Zelda young you objected to that my partner has just reminded me when in fact Zelda didn’t mind at all she said on here

#90543 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Everyone is free to post their opinions It’s an open forum

#90544 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

For gods sake Ian lives in the countryside and I’m just pleased he is going electric ! I wish Trev was still on here

Being of a very religious disposition, may I suggest you do not bring the Lord into this?

Perhaps you may wish amend your post.

Thank you.

Dave.

#90545 Reply
    Philjb

Which part of the county are you in Ian, where do you park the car overnight, I read you don’t yet have a home charger?

The last two weekend we did 465 miles each way to see our grandchildren, In one journey, only stopping for a sandwich and loo break, I did notice all the charge bays were full on the M6 services and my wife commented  good job we don’t need to recharge.
    Both trips we made the return at night or early hours of the morning with main beam on unlit roads, I’d be forever thinking we’d run out of juice.

#90546 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

we Can’t believe it are you for real ? Brydo pops best I say goodbye on this post

#90547 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Big Dave a previous post I called a lady Zelda young you objected to that my partner has just reminded me when in fact Zelda didn’t mind at all she said on here

Menorca Mike,

You may find it humourous or whatever to refer to everyone as ‘young so and so’ but not everyone may like to be so addressed. Please respect that fact.

I am getting to the point that I will go and never cross this forum again, as Mike (not you Menorca) and others seem to have done.

I really do have much better things to do with my time.

#90548 Reply
    Philjb

I wouldn’t take offence to being called young, I’ve been called old by my kids for the past 45 years. 😂

My old Audi Rs6 had solar panels in the sunroof that kept the interior cool on hot days, but I cant say it would have powered  the 700ps V8 very far.

#90549 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

we Can’t believe it are you for real ? Brydo pops best I say goodbye on this post

Sorry?

Yes I am real.

I just cannot keep up with your postings, beofre you slot another one or two in there.

And what does ‘Brydo pops best’ mean? I have never heard Brydo pop?

Goodbye as well.

Dave

#90550 Reply
    Ian

Philjb thanks for asking I’m in the South Lakes looking over Morecambe Bay and 15mins from Windermere. I love it here, no traffic, pollution and actually it’s a little bubble that doesn’t see what goes on around it!
    Sincep posts I now have a BMW iwall charger and I intend to charge 99% at home.
    465miles each way could prove challenging in an I3s at least 2 40 min stops. Thankfully doing 465miles in a day is not something I do very often. Would probably hire a car for that

#90552 Reply
    Ian

Interesting lights don’t consume much electricity in an ev it’s Aircon, heating and the cold that reduce range.

930 miles £120 in diesel…..

#90568 Reply
    Mike
    Participant

@bigdave

In answer to your question yes I am a WP with a Tucson.

Are you the pilot who flew over to France?

Mike

#90570 Reply
    Brydo

Ian sounds like a great place to live.

Phil 465 miles with one short break that sounds a lot are you safe doing that. I have no health problems and i would find that difficult.

BigDave and Menorca Mike don’t leave there will always be threads that gets peoples backs up but lets not fall out life is far too short.

The other Mike i’m sorry you feel there is too much EV talk but the Forum is big enough to avoid any subject you dont want to discuss. There are many threads i dont even open as the titles dont interest me or i feel i have nothing constructive to add. So please don’t be a stranger.

If i am one of the EV mafia i apologise i am only trying to help and inform

#90604 Reply
    Philjb

Ian yes it was about £100 in diesel in our Tiguan, that does sound like a nice part of the country never been to Morecambe. That would be an issue too as my daughters also insist on Aircon on the whole journey.
    Yes I can see I’d hire a car too with that little range and 40 min stops for charging. Two days hire of a top spec tiguan would be around £200 with the VAT here in London.

Bri perfectly safe thanks buddy, Long distanced are eaten up with all the tech on the Tiguan, but Im usually (not always) sat in the back being driven with my slippers on.

I have driven the same journey though many times, with just. Loo and quick coffee break.

#90608 Reply
    Philjb

That was my point I’d need two cars at present one Burning oil that’s suited to being loaded up long trips munching miles and one saving the planet and running on power station juice.
    Which i would only use for very short trips between charges.

I’m not really concerned about the fuel costs, I’ve never had a car that was able to do anything like the mpg the Tiguan gets and having a fuel card through my business helps too.

I like cars with new technology, but I can’t see anything new that EV’s have that the millions of fuel burning cars have.
    So I can’t see us changing for a long while yet.
    but I never say never.

#90609 Reply
    Ian

PhilJb with respect if you want to capture the benefits of an Ev you have to recognise the shortcomings (size, stops to charge for the exceptionally long journeys). For me 465 miles in a single drive sounds awful. At 70 mph thats 6.5hrs I don’t care what car you are in thats not fun and actually without a proper stop, dangerous. Why don’t you move a bit closer lol!

If you can overcome these you are set to save bucketloads…..

How often do you do more than 160miles in one go (apart from visiting your family)? I would suggest in London nearly never…..I can do 160miles park up outside my house, charge up for £2.50 and then go again the following day.  Never have to visit a petrol station either…when was the last time you filled your car up for £2.50?

I can put the aircon on and l will lose 15miles of range and cost me 20p.

Ps I don’t live in Morecambe but have a view over Morecambe Bay from the South Lake District!

ian

#90614 Reply
    SaintsMan

EV’s like the i3 are a bit of a conundrum, they are the perfect city car, small easy to park and obviously don’t clog the dense city streets with fumes and smells. However the way cities have been built means it’s difficult to charge them outside your house. So then we have the rural situation with lots of houses in small towns and villages with drives where you can happily charge your car, but if you want to go for a “big” shop/night out/sports event etc then it means travelling a longer distance and range anxiety kicks in.

It’s going to get better, the XC40 is about to hit the motor shows this month I assume with a range above 250 miles. It’s still not 465 miles (and Phil’s not the only one to drive those distances with only a short toilet break) but I can see 400+ in the near future.

#90616 Reply
    Ian

Good post

#90634 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

@bigdave In answer to your question yes I am a WP with a Tucson. Are you the pilot who flew over to France? Mike

Er, yes – last year.

#90643 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Brydo yes life is too short I have made many friends on here I’m not leaving

#90644 Reply
    Mike
    Participant

@bigdave In answer to your question yes I am a WP with a Tucson. Are you the pilot who flew over to France? Mike

Er, yes – last year.

Great. I thought it was your good self who posted on here about your trip. I also read your TR on Pprune and put two and two together.

I know it maybe off topic here, but I really need to pick your brains about disability adaptions for PA28/30 as I understand your aircraft is so adapted.

Who designed and installed the adaptions and who did the certification? We have a LAA Inspector in our FC but he has no experience of adaptions.

Sorry to contact you via this means, but I couldn’t think of any other way to contact as you are no longer active on Pprune GA forum.

Mike

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
Reply To: BMW i3 Hidden Features and tricks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: