BMW i3 Hidden Features and tricks

This topic contains 70 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Ian 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #90403 Reply
    Brydo

The BMW i3 120ah car has lots of HIDDEN features, theirs a secret idrive menu, a secret console menu also talked about a lot on forms is a hidden cigar socket. I also show some useful features like finding the emergency boot pull and charge flap release. Oh almost forgot i show you how to preheat the bmw i3 by the KEY!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90411 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Boris could hide things in there !,

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#90438 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Has it got a hidden boot that could fit a wheelchair in by any chance?

#90450 Reply
    Philjb

So do the rear windows not open and close with the key?

#90464 Reply
    Teddy

You can get a wheelchair in if you fold the rear seats, I know because I have done it, and the back windows are fixed.

I’m now up to about 300 miles with mine and so far I have spent £2.40 on electricity, which must be about 700 mpg equivalent in cost terms vs petrol.

That admittedly does include some free charging but it is out there. One car park in my town has free fast charging whilst parked, and from 8pm onwards no parking charges so that’ll come in useful for a free top up at some point.

If anyone has any questions, about the i3 / i3S or electric cars in general then fire away.

#90473 Reply
    Brydo

Teddy the biggest negative we get on the forum with regard to EVs is range anxiety. How have your experiences been and have you got a home charger.

Is there anything you particularly like|dont like about it.

#90474 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

So it’s a 2 seater, seems a lot of money for the chance to save on fuel costs and not be able to use the rear seats, if you’re single with no friends then I guess it’s the car for you unless you need to travel any kind of distance,,, hmmm, not getting the mass appeal here?

I understand the electric argument and the cost savings but the initial cost over a small car that you could fit 4 and a wheelchair in and do 5-7 hundred miles without having to stop a few times for a few hours each time it needs charging.

#90480 Reply
    brydo

Vinalspin why do you need to try and make someone feel bad for the choice they have made?

Teddy is clearly happy with his car but for some reason you feel the need to belittle the choice he has made.

I don’t get it.

#90481 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Well said Brydo teddy is saving money and the car looks fab we don’t all want a smelly diesel electric is the future

#90483 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

we don’t all want a smelly diesel electric is the future

If you live in a town/city with charging points everywhere, only do a small mileage and need a small car, then I am sure an electric car is fine (as is Teddy’s choice).

However please don’t knock those of us who live in very rural areas, do large mileages, tow and for various reasons need a large car, so are mainly tied to your ‘smelly diesel’

In congratulating Brydo for his stance on Teddy’s car choice, you then go and spoil it by castigating those who have very little choice but to use your so called ‘smelly diesel’.

Just because YOU don’t want a ‘smelly diesel’ doesn’t mean than other people don’t want one – mainly as there is currently no suitable alternative.

Eact to their own (and all that).

Dave

#90485 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Point taken Dave you say there is no alternative what about a hybrid petrol electric that charges as it goes along ?

#90486 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Won’t a RAV 4 hybrid tow a caravan ?

#90487 Reply
    Brydo

As with everything BigDave it’s all about choice and needs. I want everybody reading the forum to feel they can come on and say what they want to say, ask any question they want to ask. If they think they will be shot down in flames 🔥 they won’t post.

Some of the advice given here is OUTSTANDING, given by people with experience they are willing to share, but that advice is only given if someone asks a question.

So let’s agree when we agree and disagree when we disagree but don’t make anyone feel bad for the choices they make, it serves no purpose.

#90488 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Totally agree my words smelly diesel implied that electric is clean air that’s all we all have different views

#90489 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

In no way did I suggest he had made a bad choice, I’m sure he made the choice that best suited his needs, I was talking about the vehicle not the person and as far as I am aware the vehicles on here are for the benefit of the disabled so suggesting that the car only has 2 seats if you want to take mobility equipment with you doesn’t seem like a slagging off but a statement of facts about the practicality being considerably diminished for the gains of electric power.

Now if any offence was taken then I do apologise whole heartedly as none of what I wrote was aimed in a particular direction but as a general questioning statement, good to know though that any misconstrued comments will be stamped on in a flash and followed up with other boots, nice to feel safe in making your comments and opinions heard.

#90492 Reply
    Teddy

Brydo,

To answer your questions about range and charging, it’s a bit of an educated guess as I haven’t done a full battery to empty battery test yet, but I would estimate 150-160 miles. When I ‘filled up’ on Saturday it said a range of 200 miles but I think that was on the optimistic side.

I haven’t got a home charger yet but plan to have one fitted when it can be arranged.

I can use most chargers in my town for less than £8 per month using the Polar network so I don’t envisage using the home charger that often but it will be useful as a backup.

I know EVs aren’t going to be for everyone but those that are wondering about them should definitely consider one if your driving needs are suitable.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I will be using the car more for leisure as I don’t have to consider the cost of fuel, and that has to be a good thing.</p>

#90493 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

As with everything BigDave it’s all about choice and needs. I want everybody reading the forum to feel they can come on and say what they want to say, ask any question they want to ask. If they think they will be shot down in flames 🔥 they won’t post. Some of the advice given here is OUTSTANDING, given by people with experience they are willing to share, but that advice is only given if someone asks a question. So let’s agree when we agree and disagree when we disagree but don’t make anyone feel bad for the choices they make, it serves no purpose.

I was actually agreeing with you Brydo. I wasn’t criticising Teddy’s choice of vehicle what-so-ever.

Each to their own choice etc.

It was Menorca Mike’s inference that just because he didn’t want a quote a ‘smelly diesel’, no-one should  (why the need to describe it as ‘smelly’ diesel as opposed to just ‘diesel)?  No need for any adjective!

I was simply pointing out, it should be each to their own choice of what suits best.

Dave

#90495 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Won’t a RAV 4 hybrid tow a caravan ?

It’s not a caravan that I tow.

The RAV won’t tow the stock trailer or cattle crush around the family farm when needed. Or when I help out with lambing on the hills etc.

My own simple requirements – large 4×4, automatic,  high clearance, big engine, diesel, with tow hitch and associated electrics. It suits perfectly for my ‘day job’ as well.

Dave

#90496 Reply
    Brydo

Thanks for clearing that up vinalspin, i know from my own experience how the written word can me misinterpreted.

#90497 Reply
    Brydo

I didnt think you were criticising Teddy’s choice of vehicle bigdave, i have no problem with your post.

#90503 Reply
    Philjb

And relax!

Not a criticisms I’m sure folks love there EV’s as we all defend our cars up to a point.

No rear window opening, seems a bit of bad design and I’m sure not one that would go down well for young families with kids.
    My Daughter would be car sick without fresh air on her face.

Ive said many times the range and practicality rule an EV out for me right now, but I wouldn’t deter anyone from ordering one.

un affordable for me and pointless.

I can brim the beast and not have to do anything other then drive it for around 600 miles, that suits me thanks.

#90518 Reply
    Ian

I’m the conundrum here I’m getting rid of big diesel, live very rural and I3S has just arrived in the dealers for collection.

Clearly don’t need a car to tow sheep trailers but I still do fancy a toyota landcruiser tho……

The small boot worries me, the fuel saving top trumps it though.

#90519 Reply
    Philjb

I had to pop out before I finished my last post.

The unaffordable bit for me would mean at the moment we’d need to run two cars hardly saving the planet and I couldn’t afford the high EV up front costs, for anything large enough for a big family and large dog.

The fuel saving will be attractive one day I’m sure, for me I currently get a fuel card from the company I do loss adjusting for, so I have zero to pay for fuel.

I could see the first step for us would be a large hybrid if one I like hits the scheme. Until then I’ll enjoy the freedoms of our TDI, with its opening windows and large practical boot and lots of rear leg room.

#90524 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Well said Ian

#90525 Reply
    brydo

Phil I expect to see a couple more hybrid on the scheme next year but how big do you need. Do you need Mitsubishi Outlander size or would something smaller do.

#90527 Reply
    brydo

Ian if I remember correctly you have solar panels, I think for six months of the year you will travelling free of charge.

Remember if it turns out that the car isn’t for you motability will let you change it as long as you are not an habitual early returner.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
Reply To: BMW i3 Hidden Features and tricks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: