BMW I-3 ON SCHEME NOW

• Creator
    Topic
    jamesg

BMW   I-3   on scheme   now  one for Brydo  and Ian ?  whats happening  and  Shawn

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ian
        Anonymous

That space in front of the screen looks ideal to take a 4g LTE 10″ tablet loaded with the good stuff?

Anonymous

This looks like I have a replacement for my X60 at last. Do you think they will fit the BMW i Wallbox connect to houses without fast chargers? I wouldn’t want to rely on a plug socket all the time, in case of emergencies or forgetfulness.

Thanks for any info and thanks inparticular to Brydo and others who have helped mve this issue forward. It doesn’t go un-noticed and is appreciated by most here. We are aware that there are some here who fight more than others on our behalf. Cheers!

Brydo
            Participant

Thanks for your kind words Matt, i had a look at the BMW website and there appears to be a number of charging options https://charging.bmwgroup.com/web/wbdoc/bmw-i-wallbox. It would be worth a call to your loval BMW dealer to see what they are offering. I would assume it will be their base model but you never know.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
              Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Brydo
              Participant

Some info off the BMW web page

What does ConnectedDrive offer for BMW i?
                The BMW i3, with its BMW i ConnectedDrive solutions designed especially for electric cars, is the first car to come with full connectivity as standard. BMW i Navigation with Range Assistant includes a dynamic range map and charging station display to help you find the most efficient way to your destination. The BMW i Remote App lets you keep an eye on your car when you are away from it. For example, you can remotely control and monitor and adjust the temperature of your car before unplugging.

How long does an i3 take to charge?
                In the UK the BMW i Wallbox Plus has a charging time of 0% to 80% in 4 hours

3 pin plug charging time at home can take 11-12 hours.
                Wallbox Plus charging can take 4 hours.
                DC charging at service stations can take from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on connection type.

You won`t need to worry about installation but here are the instructions, they may help you decide where to put the charger.

https://charging.bmwgroup.com/documents/20722/163619/Installation+Instruction/f2f1eec4-c37b-421a-bc0c-cba84bbe103f

Brydo
                Participant

How to choose a home wallbox charger

If you’re going electric, a wallbox charger is a must-have item. We give you the lowdown.

Last Updated: 28 May 2019 tweet

If you are thinking of buying an electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), one of the things you need to consider is where to charge it. Both electric vehicles and PHEVs need to be regularly topped up via a charging cable to ensure their batteries have enough energy to power the car.

For those with a driveway, garage or any other form of off-street parking, the obvious answer is that you will charge your car at home. This is what the majority of electric vehicle owners currently do.

While the UK’s public charging network is growing at a rapid pace, with over 6,500 charging points nationwide, most people still decide to charge their car at home – often overnight, so it’s ready for use the next morning.

But then there is the question of exactly how to charge your electric vehicle. A regular three-pin plug will draw a maximum charge of 3kW, but that’s if you’ve got one nearby. A better option will be to install a home wallbox charger near your car so that you don’t have to run extension cords through the house, leaving windows and doors open. A wallbox will also help charge your car quicker.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/your-questions-answered/102/how-choose-home-wallbox-charger

To find out how to choose the right one, read on.

Pirots
                  Participant

I am amazed BMW didn’t utilise the available space in the boot.

Anonymous

That must be classed as a modification though. I cringed when he dropped a metal box in near all those cables.?

mitch
                      Participant

rang motability to try and find out what the variations are for the various aps for the i3 but they dont know and refferred me to bmw. so i will try them shortly but i am not holding breath as local dealer didnt even know it was on the scheme lol.

mitch
                        Participant

and round and round we go lol, bmw cust services simply transferred me to motability operations. so no further forward.

Pirots
                          Participant

That must be classed as a modification though. I cringed when he dropped a metal box in near all those cables.?

Yes, I would think it would be classed as a modification. It’s just a shame BMW didn’t utilise it. Apparently it’s the empty space where the engine/generator goes for other markets.

Anonymous

When I rang for a test drive the salesman did not know that it was on the scheme then in the next breath he asked me what the registration was of the car I was interested in??????? I said its probably still in the factory? Oh sorry yer!

Wait until I am asking if I can run the pre-heat if it is on a 240v granny charger and not a dedicated charger.?

Pirots
                              Participant

It’s great to see another electric car come on Motability. Keep up the good work, but can we have one that’s suv size please?

It would be a benefit if Motability let us know what vehicles they are trying to get on the scheme. I know I wouldn’t be best pleased if I compromised on a car, and then another car appeared that was more suitable for my needs.

Unfortunately, It’s too small for my needs, and those seats look like they could have been used in the Spanish inquisition as a means of getting a quick confession. hopefully, they are more comfortable than they look.

wmcforum
                                Which Mobility Car

@mitch,

There are 4 different worlds (Interiors) to choose, Atelier, Lodge, Loft and Suite, these are the four prices associated to the standard cars. The three ‘S’ cars are Atelier, Lodge, Loft (in that pricing order) as the Suite is too expensive to be on the Scheme.

wmcforum
                                  Which Mobility Car

Further info:

‘With the BMW i3, the dealership will manage installing a wallbox charger and there’s no additional cost to you for this. They can also provide an AC fast charge cable at no additional cost.’

mitch
                                    Participant

thanks wmcforum that now makes sense, it was throwing me that there was only 3 options for the i3s.

whist i like leather (not like that) not sure the extra is worth it, the atelier is good and the extra ap doesnt get you any extra toys and the s version is a bit quicker and has lower suspension and bigger tyres so i reckon the basic i3 is the one i will go for.

wmcforum
                                      Which Mobility Car

@mitch

I totally agree with you the entry car is the one i would go for too. £1999 AP is more than enough to spend, it’s also a car that you probably won’t extend the lease on as in 3 years time the Electric options (should) be endless and the technology will make our eyes water*.

*maybe.

mitch
                                        Participant

the higher ap’s dont get you any extra kit just plusher interiours, the basic atelier still has heated front seats so my back will be happy, the seats could be better with a bit more adjustment esp lumbar they are fairly basic compared to some available now but just trying them in the showroom they werent uncomfortable, i would want a decent test drive but they were ok for me. the upgrade to the i3s just gets you a bit better performance,lower suspension and bigger tyres and the better performance reduces the range though.

as wmcforum says in 3 yrs you will prob get more bang for your buck. so at the moment as i may be changing early so wont have the benefit of a gcb chq i will keep the ap as low as poss. but if they cant fix my back i reckon the i3 is my best bet.

Brydo
                                          Participant

Should always remember guys, at this point in time, if you do 8000 miles per year you will save approximately £600 per year in fuel. Add that to your £500  good condition bonus.

You do the math, a car for free?

vinalspin
                                            Participant

A car for free, except the 9.5k over 3 years, need to not give the daily fail plebs any excuse!

Adam

Just got back from BMW dealers. They weren’t aware it was on the scheme!

Sales guy said he personally would go for the entry level model unless you liked one of the higher trim levels but he doesn’t think that it is necessary as all the trim levels have the same equipment.

The S version gives you bigger wheels, sportier body kit, 6mph extra top speed, a sports mode and some different dampers.

Factory order is currently August

Loads of options can be added for extra cost

So after being 100% ready to order this week, we now have a spanner in the works!

adam

Brydo
                                                Participant

Adam what’s the spanner? Is it the choice between the two models?

Brydo
                                                  Participant

Have a look at the list below to see if you are getting the best deal for charging your EV. The list below is current to February this year so please check for the deal for you.

EV energy tariffs

Ian

Thanks for the information on charging so a combination of a smart charger which can choose when to charge with solar or draw from the grid and also a cheap overnight tarrif looks like further savings again aswell as maximising the use of the excess electricity I am able to generate. Use of solar only available on the enhanced wall charger which is more expensive than the standard I wall.

Moving away from the charging discussion I see that BMW offer a larger car for 14 days a year should you need it, would we be eligible?

Adam

Brydo,

The spanner is the boot size, it’s flat and small unlike the Leaf or Niro.

We need to work out will the wheel chair fit or are there better alternatives to our current wheel chair. The salesman suggested standing it up and use the tethering points rather than lying it down.

Having had a golf gte before, I’m comfortable about not having the facility to charge at home as the expansion of charging points over the last 3 Year’s is amazing it’s just the boot.

Adam

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 108 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.