Bmw delivery date extended again.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #127285 Reply
    Richard hewett

I drove to marshalls in kent to order my bmw x1 this was in June the last day of period 2 i did not order any out of the ordinary extras i was told car will be ready end of september. I then received a phone call stating the vehicle will be ready around a week before Christmas i then received another call yesterday to tell me the car will be defiantly ready  at the end of February and i may get a 2021 model ( yeh Right).

I was not expecting  to wait this long but i understand there are issues with covid 19 and  Brexit just thought that i would give any one that has ordered a bmw a heads up on waiting times.

Viewing 19 replies - 151 through 169 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164469 Reply
    Jif

X1 ordered 01/03/21, 20i xdrive. Pushed back repeatedly & now saying late October, possibly February.

#164471 Reply
    Shellie

@jif when was your last update we ordered early April up till now been told late October

#164472 Reply
    Shellie
    Participant

Have you been told estimated build date ?

#164476 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

Sdrive Xline 2.0i ordered middle of June.   Had a bmw message from dealership advising of delivery date of 20-26 sept…..will be interesting if this makes it across the line!

#164478 Reply
    Shellie
    Participant

We waiting for xline xdrive 20i ordered 6th April with lots of errors now expected 25th October got everything crossed it arrives this time

#164763 Reply
    Jif

Just been told it’s definitely going to be after 22/02/2022

#164765 Reply
    Jif

I’d suggest getting the order number checked & then going onto bmw live chat & asking them there. They seem to have no customer service filter they just tell you the dates.

my dealership has taken a deposit on ordering. according to genius the dealer ordered out of capacity which cancelled it and pushed it back. Then it’s been capacity checked repeatedly and pushed back to February from a March order.

I’d also keep an eye on the advanced payment. If delivery was in quarter 2 as on my paperwork mine would’ve been £100 cheaper than today’s price.

looking today – my alternative vehicle orders q3 or gla are no longer even on the list

#164796 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Reading all these posts about BMW delays (mine being one of them) I have arrived at the somewhat qualified conclusion to declare that the delays are purely due to the dealers sales practices.

During pre covid an X1 or pretty much all new car orders would take on average 3 months from order to delivery, give or take a few weeks dependent on which country the car was manufactured.

My X1 order was placed mid April with estimated delivery Aug/Sept. In august and with no communication from the dealer I enquired to a progress update on my order to be informed that my order was due to be built in the second week of December, which if true would represent a waiting time of approximately 8 months. Three weeks after I had placed my X1 order I introduced my niece to the same salesman/dealer and she subsequently privately ordered a new X2 M-Sport with a projected delivery for September which would be the same time as my X1 was anticipated. Both cars arriving at the or around the same time would appear correct as both the X1 and X2 are manufactured in the same manufacturing plant in Germany.

My nieces X2 arrived in Mid August! Further enquiries with my order with the BMW online Genius confirmed that my original order was cancelled and a new one submitted under a different order number which was news to me and something I was not aware of. I duly contacted the dealer and requested to speak to the sales manager. After a short period of being held on the phone I was met with the voice of the salesman with whom I purchased my X1 from. Clearly any contact with the sales manager was to be avoided?!. The salesman proceeded to express his apologies and blamed brexit, covid and anything else he could think of. He also confirmed that my X1 was now scheduled for wk49 build. Asking him why it was taking eight months for my X1 to be built and only 3 months for my nieces X2 he became lost for words, so to save him further embarrasment I finished my call and contacted BMW Genius to ascertain when my new X1 order was placed, which would indicate the true extent of the games these dealers are playing with Motability orders.

Unfortunately, the BMW Genius could not provide me with any details relating to when my revised X1 order was placed so I requested that my concerns be made a complaint as I believed that the dealer was being dishonest with my X1 order.

I exchanged my details with BMW CS and they confirmed that they would contact the dealer and contact myself within two working days. Five working days passed with no contact so I duly contacted BMW CS again only for them to confirm that the dealer had not responded to their requests for information on my order. They duly contacted the dealer whilst I was left waiting on the phone only to be given the old excuse that the sales manager was in a meeting and so I was advised that the BMW CS advisor would follow up his enquiries and report back to me as soon as he was in receipt of a reply from the dealer, a telephone call which I eagerly await.

To conclude, I believe that due to the minimal profits that salesmen make on Motability sales coupled with the unprecedented demand for new cars from all manufacturers, the dealers are shuffling Motability orders back in place of more lucrative private orders in order to fill their contractural obligations. If you know anything about how the sales business model works in a dealership then you would understand my thoughts and opinion on why so many Motability orders are still outstanding and subjected to lengthy delays. It is purely due to dealer and salesman profit margins and greed!

What are other forum members thoughts?

#164797 Reply
    Ianfca

Sadly I think this is true of a lot of dealers. They seem to think that motability order build slots are just a way for them to get build slots in the system that can be swapped    to a retail sale without any comeback from motability. It is a shame that motability don’t want to get involved with existing orders being swapped and just leave it to us to fight our corner with the dealer. In these instances we are always on the losing side as the dealers will blatantly lie to us and motability don’t really mind if the lead times change just as long as the order goes through eventually. We can take our business to another dealer but the dealer that swaps an order won’t care because he has his retail sale.

#164808 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – I agree that it’s down to individual dealers. My recent experience with our X1 order was excellent. Ordered 31st March, took delivery 23rd July. Whilst dealers do make more from a private sale, Motability orders still make a significant difference to their earnings. £230 fee from Motability plus the order counts towards their dealership, group and manufacturer targets, which can be significant. My dealer offered me almost £1,000 discount off the AP and optional extras and still made a health profit on the transaction. I’m afraid that the long delays that are reported daily on this forum (from many different manufacturers) are almost always the exact same issue – the dealership took a Motability order whilst having no available build allocation slots. All sorts of excuses are given, but the problem is always the same.

#164813 Reply
    Lev

I went to a BMW dealer in Stevenage today. Told me the X1 now has a lead time of April next year!

Also, he didn’t give a reduction in the AP price, but did offer 10-15% reduction in any options bought.

Also he was sure the 1 series would be in the October quarter but no guarantee the X1 would be…

Said that the only thing he could guarentee was that list prices on all cars and options would be going up.

#164834 Reply
    Shellie

@NosherN same happened to my order it got cancelled and I got new order number apparently they give what they call ghost numbers to put order in if the dealership doesn’t have any slots when a slot is available they cancel that and give you the correct number I ordered mine 6th April date I have at min is 25 th October week to be delivered I’m not holding breath but got everything crossed it stays that date

#164841 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

Sadly I think this is true of a lot of dealers. They seem to think that motability order build slots are just a way for them to get build slots in the system that can be swapped to a retail sale without any comeback from motability. It is a shame that motability don’t want to get involved with existing orders being swapped and just leave it to us to fight our corner with the dealer. In these instances we are always on the losing side as the dealers will blatantly lie to us and motability don’t really mind if the lead times change just as long as the order goes through eventually. We can take our business to another dealer but the dealer that swaps an order won’t care because he has his retail sale.

Ianfca we are both on the same wave length!

NosherN – I agree that it’s down to individual dealers. My recent experience with our X1 order was excellent. Ordered 31st March, took delivery 23rd July. Whilst dealers do make more from a private sale, Motability orders still make a significant difference to their earnings. £230 fee from Motability plus the order counts towards their dealership, group and manufacturer targets, which can be significant. My dealer offered me almost £1,000 discount off the AP and optional extras and still made a health profit on the transaction. I’m afraid that the long delays that are reported daily on this forum (from many different manufacturers) are almost always the exact same issue – the dealership took a Motability order whilst having no available build allocation slots. All sorts of excuses are given, but the problem is always the same.

Glos Guy – I totally accept that most dealers make there own commercial decisions and that your recent experience of sourcing your X1 was a stroke of luck given that your dealer had a build slot available. The point I made in my previous post was that dealers from most manufacturers do not need to discount their vehicles due to strong demand, and the fact that they can meet their quotas on the more lucrative retail sales realises that these sales will take priority over Motability sales, so their sales targets will be met without any input from Motatbility sales hence the reason why the experience of many Motability customers is similar to mine.

Historically, new car sales tend to drop off during the winter months which is why dealers are pushing Motability sales towards that period. However, the present car market will dictate that order books will continue to be healthy throughout this period and that Motability customers will likely be fobbed off again with excuses as to why their orders are being delayed time and time again.

@NosherN same happened to my order it got cancelled and I got new order number apparently they give what they call ghost numbers to put order in if the dealership doesn’t have any slots when a slot is available they cancel that and give you the correct number I ordered mine 6th April date I have at min is 25 th October week to be delivered I’m not holding breath but got everything crossed it stays that date

Shellie the ‘ghost order numbers’ you refer to are essentially the dealerships contractural sales targets with the manufacturer. Once a sale has been agreed the sale is entered into manufacturer order system which then reduces the sales target of that particular model. If the dealer manages to exceed its monthly sales target they will carry any additional sales of that model over into the following month. However, and this is my point, typically, if a dealer needs to sell five X1’s per month and they manage to sell six vehicles, if one of those six vehicles is a motability order which only provides a £230.00 fee when all the other retail sales orders provide £2-3,000.00 per car in profit and commission which sale do you think is going to be carried over to the following months quota? and if this scenario continues in the following 3, 4, 5 or 6 months you can see where I am coming from in relation as to why Motability sales are being deferred and delayed.

My niece ordered her X2 three weeks after my X1 and both are manufactured in the same facility, there is no feasible excuse why one vehicle derivative should take three months to manufacture and the other eight months. I hope this makes sense to you.

#164843 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

NosherN – Build slot allocations are by model, not factory, so the dealer may have had a slot for an X2 but not an X1.

#164845 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

NosherN – Build slot allocations are by model, not factory, so the dealer may have had a slot for an X2 but not an X1.

Glos Guy My post confirms that!…….and your reply is a hypothetical one at that.

The bottom line is dealers are shuffling Motability orders to the back of the order queue in favour of more lucrative retail customer orders.

#164847 Reply
    Richardw

I’m not too sure why anyone is particularly surprised at what is going on. It has been well publicised by manufacturers that priority is being given to private customers and fleet orders are being put back. It may seem unfair but it’s just something that has to be accepted.

#164848 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Glos Guy My post confirms that!…….and your reply is a hypothetical one at that. The bottom line is dealers are shuffling Motability orders to the back of the order queue in favour of more lucrative retail customer orders.

Not hypothetical. Fact. But I appreciate that you are frustrated and may see it differently. When we ordered the dealer warned us that they didn’t have an immediate build slot for an X1 and asked if the X2 was of interest to us (it wasn’t) as they had a build slot for that and could get it quicker. Luckily, within days they nabbed a cancelled X1 order from another dealership not even in their group. Strange that, given that either dealership could have given that slot to a private customer! Does  rather scupper some of the conspiracy theories!

#164852 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’m not too sure why anyone is particularly surprised at what is going on. It has been well publicised by manufacturers that priority is being given to private customers and fleet orders are being put back. It may seem unfair but it’s just something that has to be accepted.

We don’t have to accept it as we could block the Motorways with our pavement scooters in protest as that’s seem to be what every Tom, Dick and Harry does these days.

No folk don’t really block Motorways but if anyone in my area wants to have a demo at their local dealer I’m all for that.😁🤔😁

#165145 Reply
    AlanBang
    Participant

I think we’ve been very lucky, although our car was supposed to be here last week…it’s not, the dealership confirmed its built and on its’s way with hopefully a 2nd week October as pick up.    If that comes off we will have done well (ordered mid June).  It might have helped that its the same dealership that my parents use and they’ve recently purchases 2 new cars off them.

The dealer did mention than their new orders are facing massive delays and a number of options simply can’t be spec’d.   One buyer was told that his 90k motor wouldn’t have the wireless charging modules and when it is eventually available, price hikes means it will be £3.5k more..   Harman Kardon systems are non-existent.   X1 deliveries now stretching to Mar onwards.   Even the dealership struggles with some of the communications they are getting back from BMW as to delays.  I feel for anyone caught waiting as there seems no sign of improvement

Viewing 19 replies - 151 through 169 (of 169 total)
Reply To: Bmw delivery date extended again.
Your information: