- This topic has 133 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 days, 14 hours ago by Iain.
October 18, 2020 at 1:15 am #127285Richard hewett
I drove to marshalls in kent to order my bmw x1 this was in June the last day of period 2 i did not order any out of the ordinary extras i was told car will be ready end of september. I then received a phone call stating the vehicle will be ready around a week before Christmas i then received another call yesterday to tell me the car will be defiantly ready at the end of February and i may get a 2021 model ( yeh Right).
I was not expecting to wait this long but i understand there are issues with covid 19 and Brexit just thought that i would give any one that has ordered a bmw a heads up on waiting times.
May 2, 2021 at 12:16 pm #147224Lou
Glos guy I was told 24 weeks back at the end of Oct and the delivery was still pushed back twice! I have a feeling you may have got my order 🙂 (I was a cancellation)May 2, 2021 at 12:29 pm #147226
Glos guy I was told 24 weeks back at the end of Oct and the delivery was still pushed back twice! I have a feeling you may have got my order 🙂 (I was a cancellation)
Thanks for donating your order to me Lou 😂 When we ordered we were told that X1 orders had been taking 5-6 months, which surprised me given that it’s a near end of life model but demand is still extremely high. With the semiconductor and other car component supply issues becoming more and more widespread and with mainland Europe being a long way behind the UK in covid vaccinations etc I am not holding my breath. Glad it’s not our first Motability car as we at least have a car to tie us over until we eventually get it!May 2, 2021 at 12:50 pm #147227Lou
Your welcome 😂 i do hope your dealer service is perfect, I’m still waiting for a refund of the AP and I have a feeling they are going to keep over 1k of option money I paid. That was my very first order 👎 When I first placed it they said 4-6 months but after my expected delivery date kept coming and going with no correspondence from the dealer I decided I wanted and needed better service with actual communication inbetween. I ordered a diff car of similar size with most of the extras I had paid for included in the trim. I think the delivery times are going to vary quite a lot with most cars at the moment, especially given the new threat of the Indian variant 😐May 2, 2021 at 1:34 pm #147232
I haven’t paid the dealer a penny deposit Lou, not for the AP or for all the options I have added, so I could technically cancel at any time up to the date that we take delivery and wouldn’t have any money to claim back. I was due to test drive the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge last week but the dealer cancelled the day before claiming that they had been told by Volvo UK that they couldn’t take any new Motability orders due to semiconductor shortages, but I think that was BS. Think I will stick with the BMW as I’ve had loads of them and know that I really like them. I’d rather wait for what is best for me. I also agree with you that regardless of what we all order, I think we are all set for delays for one reason or another!May 2, 2021 at 2:51 pm #147242Lou
I agree bmw are well built and drive well (coming from a privately owned one). It’s crazy how there’s shortages for quite a few diff components now. I think your right about Volvo and being dishonest if that’s the best word. My dealer wouldn’t accept my application without half the AP and the options paid for and with it being my first ever time I didn’t know how it all worked so just paid. Feel really stupid now and will be concerned if it’s not all refunded as I can’t afford to lose that amount of money, I also think it would be unfair given the fact they kept changing the delivery dates and made no attempt to provide communication 👎May 2, 2021 at 3:02 pm #147245WigwamParticipant
No, Glos Guy, my concern is that an XC40 might arrive too soon to get the September registration!May 2, 2021 at 3:07 pm #147246
I do hope that you get it all resolved Lou and I’m sure that you will get all your money back. If the dealer plays silly buggers I would call Motability and if that doesn’t work I would initiate a chargeback dispute with your credit or debit card provider (assuming that you paid using a card). If you have been clear with the dealer that you have cancelled the order due to their poor communication and unacceptable delays then there is no reason why they shouldn’t refund you in full. Some dealers chance their arms but a complaint via Motability can penalise their incentives and a refund generated via chargeback will result in charges for them, both of which they will be keen to avoid. It shouldn’t have to be the case, but assertiveness pays in these circumstances.May 2, 2021 at 3:12 pm #147248
No, Glos Guy, my concern is that an XC40 might arrive too soon to get the September registration!
Oh, I see. Well you can always ask them to sit on it until 1st September. Our BMW dealer said that if our X1 came in during July or August they would be happy to sit on it until the new reg, but unless it’s the second half of August I’m not bothered about whether it’s a 70 or 71 plate so would be happy to take delivery immediately. If it was a private car I would hold on, as it affects resale values, but with a lease car the sooner I take delivery the sooner I can order the next one 😂May 2, 2021 at 4:04 pm #147249Lou
Wow Thankyou glos guy! That’s really helpful information, I spoke with notability and they said it’s all down to the dealer so I’m unsure if they will help with it. I did use a card purely for the protection, notability have told me to wait and see if I hear back by tues (3rd week waiting) and if still no communication to contact them again. I said I wouldn’t mind paying an admin fee but over £1000 in optional extras is a lot of money to lose. Notability also informed me that I would need to raise a complaint directly with the dealer rather than thru them but all of my complaints in regard to the matter have been logged with motability. Does all this seem correct? I’m unsure as Iv never been with motability before. Thankyou very much for any help/tips!May 2, 2021 at 4:47 pm #147253
Lou – the payment of a deposit is discretionary between the dealer and the customer, which is probably why Motability aren’t being too helpful. The dealer will not incur any financial loss whatsoever as a result of you cancelling. They will have already put another customer into your order slot or, if not, can pass it off to another dealer who will bite their hand off. There are long delays on the X1 at present and BMW are not allocating any new build slots at the moment, so already allocated build slots will be in very high demand. If it were me, I would tell the sales rep that you want a 100% refund by the end of the week or will be instigating a chargeback via your card provider and will register a formal complaint with both BMW UK and Motability. Let them know that you are serious or they will keep messing you around. Don’t offer to pay even an admin fee. There is no need. As I say, the dealer will incur no financial loss and you have only cancelled because you have had poor service from them. Good luck.May 2, 2021 at 6:15 pm #147259Lou
Thankyou Glos guy, do you have any idea of what I should write up in an email to them? I’m usually pretty good with that sort of thing but I haven’t been doing too great recentlyMay 2, 2021 at 6:48 pm #147264
Thankyou Glos guy, do you have any idea of what I should write up in an email to them? I’m usually pretty good with that sort of thing but I haven’t been doing too great recently
Difficult to advise Lou without knowing the whole story, or your circumstances, but perhaps something along the lines of;
As you know, I have cancelled my order with you for a BMW X1. I ordered the car in good faith, but the constantly slipping delivery dates and lack of communication caused me to lose confidence in your ability to deliver the car in an acceptable timescale and I have therefore ordered a different make of car from another dealership.
At the time of ordering I paid a deposit and contribution towards the optional extras of £x. As of today, I have yet to receive a refund for this deposit. As you will know, deposits are not required as a condition of a Motability order and are discretionary. As the vehicle order was for Motability Operations, rather than myself, I have not entered into a legally binding contract with you. You will also be able to easily re-assign this factory order slot to another customer, either within your own dealership or elsewhere. I am advised that there are delays on X1 orders at present and you will have no difficulty whatsoever in re-assigning this order. Consequently, your dealership will incur no financial loss as a result of my cancellation and, coupled with the fact that this was not a legally binding contract, I therefore request an immediate refund of £x.
I regret that if I have not received this refund by close of play on Friday 7th May, I shall be left with no option but to raise a chargeback claim through my card provider. This will cause your dealership to incur additional charges that could be avoided. Furthermore, I shall also be forced to raise a formal complaint with BMW UK and Motability. As a Motability customer I have many challenges to deal with and having to battle with an authorised BMW main dealership over a deposit for a car that you were unable to provide in a timely manner is not one that I expected, nor deserve. If you are unable to provide this refund by Friday 7th May, I would appreciate a written explanation from your Dealer Principal in order to inform my formal complaints. Yours sincerely x”
You will obviously want to add or delete elements based upon your specific case. I wrote a very similar letter for another member recently and they got a positive outcome, so good luck.May 2, 2021 at 7:05 pm #147265Lou
Glos guy that is amazing! I cannot thank you enough, I will type it up and make the appropriate changes before sending it off & shall let you know how I get on. 🙂👍🌻May 3, 2021 at 9:50 am #147271Lou
Glos guy I have an update, the dealer has sent me a very long and apologetic email this morning admitting he has been at fault especially with communication. He has said he will be chasing up the refund tomorrow but did not state if it would be the full amount as requested so it’s time to sit tight and wait for the outcome. I’m unsure of how to respond to his email this morning but want to say Thankyou very much for your help 👍May 3, 2021 at 10:16 am #147274
Glos guy I have an update, the dealer has sent me a very long and apologetic email this morning admitting he has been at fault especially with communication. He has said he will be chasing up the refund tomorrow but did not state if it would be the full amount as requested so it’s time to sit tight and wait for the outcome. I’m unsure of how to respond to his email this morning but want to say Thankyou very much for your help 👍
Hi Lou. Well done. I’m glad that it worked. I would do nothing now, just sit tight and don’t reply. They have now admitted that the issues were their fault and have agreed to process the refund. They haven’t mentioned any deductions (nor should they) so you should assume that it’s going to be a full refund. You now have the upper hand and the dealer is now going to try to resolve this quickly so as to avoid a formal complaint. Refunds to cards can take as long as a week and the dealer probably has to get a central accounts team to process it, which won’t even start until tomorrow. I think you can relax now. I suspect that you will have the full refund within a week, maybe sooner, so no need to go back to them. If you haven’t received the full refund by this time next week then it’s worth emailing them back and say that you are still waiting for it, but I suspect that they will alert you to the approximate timescale if it’s going to take a while, in order to discourage you from escalating the complaint. The email that you have received today will be invaluable if you eventually have to do a chargeback claim through your card provider, but I really don’t think that you will get to that stage now.May 3, 2021 at 10:35 am #147277Lou
I did wonder if I should leave it and wait which I will do. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and have learnt from my mistakes. Thankyou again Glos Guy very much, your help and advice has been invaluable & I’m so grateful 👍 I do hope you have a nice bank holiday MondayMay 5, 2021 at 8:33 am #147389Shellie
Have you heard any more on your x1 @glos guy
bmw have my order but nothing further it’s a week ago yesterday that I got new order number I’m not good at waiting lolMay 5, 2021 at 9:25 am #147395
Have you heard any more on your x1 @glos guy bmw have my order but nothing further it’s a week ago yesterday that I got new order number I’m not good at waiting lol
Nothing more since the update I posted a few days ago Shellie (end of June slipped to end of July). We ordered at the end of March and the dealer said then that their X1 orders had been taking 5-6 months, so my expectations were managed at the outset. Frankly, I don’t expect to get it before September, so anything sooner will be a bonus. I’m not good at waiting either, but the worldwide car component shortages seem to be worsening and, with mainland Europe being well behind us with their control of the pandemic, I fear that long wait times are going to be the norm for some time.May 5, 2021 at 9:36 am #147397Shellie
Yeah I agree it’s so annoying I can’t see anything easing with pandemic either if people did distance etc it might it annoys me as I have shielded since March last year only going to essential appointments yet all my neighbours have boy friends staying over go into each other’s houses etc my mums sister died in Scotland of it I just want to shout to the world to stop get this under control get our lives back let us see family sorry for that it’s one of them down days we just need good news if you know what I mean fingers crossed 🤞 things ease soonMay 5, 2021 at 3:55 pm #147430George
I ordered in February just today been told today that my X1 is leaving the factory so the dealer said delivery in about 2 weeksMay 5, 2021 at 4:14 pm #147436
I ordered in February just today been told today that my X1 is leaving the factory so the dealer said delivery in about 2 weeks
Fantastic news George. Yours obviously got through before the component issues started to bite. Please post some photos when you get it in order to keep the anticipation levels up for those of us who are further down the queue!May 5, 2021 at 6:00 pm #147449Lou
Good afternoon/evening Glos Guy, the dealer emailed myself further yesterday informing me they have processed the refund and I should see it today but nothings happened. Should I give it until next Tuesday? I have not responded to his emailMay 5, 2021 at 6:08 pm #147451
Good afternoon/evening Glos Guy, the dealer emailed myself further yesterday informing me they have processed the refund and I should see it today but nothings happened. Should I give it until next Tuesday? I have not responded to his email
Excellent news. It usually takes a few days for card refunds to appear on your account. In fact, some can take as long as a week to appear, although when they eventually do they will be credited as the day that the refund was processed. All part of how the card companies make their vast profits – all those delayed payments add up to an awful lot of interest! Nonsense really, as when I make a payment from either my bank or my credit card it shows up online immediately, yet refunds can take an age. Funny that! As they have told you it’s been processed, I would check your account daily and if it hasn’t appeared by, say, Monday, I would respond and say it hasn’t come through. I wouldn’t worry though. You’ve done all the hard work now and nothing is in dispute. It’s just a waiting game.May 5, 2021 at 6:30 pm #147453Lou
Thankyou Glos Guy. Have been a bit anxious about it as iv got a car on order and the sales man has never put a grant thru (hasn’t put mine thru yet either) I’m worried I may have to find the money for the AP of the new car if I’m not refunded or refunded short 😕May 5, 2021 at 6:34 pm #147454Iain
Great news today my GC is on transport to dealer,they expect I can collect on Tuesday,it’s been a long 28wks, I did manage to get a confession from salesman that as Glos guy stated earlier they didn’t have a build allocation at the time I ordered in November, I have been constantly in contact with BMW UK for updates which were often strange but I got there in the end, I found emails have been more accurate with information than actually speaking to someone for some reason,
One thing I did do daily was view the webcams at Bremerhaven port and boy are they producing a vast amount of car from the factory,you can see up to 3 ships a day loading up.it is well worth a look.
Good luck to you all on your deliveries and I hope you all get them soon,hang in there 😃 Iain