BMW 3 series

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143782 Reply
    George

I have just looked on the price list and have seen that the BMW 3 series has been removed.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143784 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It was removed some time ago George.

#143796 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Our local BMW garage motability guy told me it has been removed as the Sport and SE variants are no longer going to be  offered on the 3 series.

#143949 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have just looked on the price list and have seen that the BMW 3 series has been removed.

Hi George. I just looked back and it was actually 5th March that the last remaining 3 Series (the 318i Sport Touring) was removed from the scheme. Unusually, we have only seen advance sight of one manufacturer price list for Q2 so far, and that’s MG. Hopefully we will have a busy day on the forum tomorrow as one or two posters usually get a good number of them the day before the quarter change. We rarely used to see the BMW list in advance but last quarter someone found it the evening before. The way the scheme is going, I wouldn’t hold your breath for the 3 Series to return though. I ordered an X1 xLine20i xDrive yesterday as it’s one of the most expensive / powerful BMW’s left on the scheme and I can see that particular variant also being removed before too long. Cars with 2.0 engines and a bit of poke, in decent trim levels and especially with 4WD are considered the stuff of the devil these days by the ‘Motability choice Police’ and must be removed!

#143958 Reply
    machoco

The choices are still very good and the value is better than any deal as a whole package so whats up with the constant moaning as majority on dla wont have good enough credit to even think about a private lease.

#143969 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The choices are still very good and the value is better than any deal as a whole package so whats up with the constant moaning as majority on dla wont have good enough credit to even think about a private lease.

Choice is less than half what it was ten years ago machoco, so people have a right to express disappointment with that, especially when they have had their heart set on a car and then it suddenly disappears for no obvious reason. Also, many peoples disabilities rule out an awful lot of the cars, especially if you need a higher car for access and a big boot for a wheelchair. An independent review has also identified that the current choice within Motability is too restricted for those with more severe levels of disability and a better choice of larger cars should be made available

I agree that for many Motability drivers they would have no other option if they want to run a new car, but it isn’t always as good a deal as people think. I bought a brand new BMW 5 Series privately at the same time as my wife got a new Tiguan through Motability. When I sold the BMW I calculated how much it had cost me to run in depreciation, insurance, running costs, tax, maintenance etc and it was actually less per year than my wife’s Tiguan had cost, once you factor in the AP, cost of any extras and near £10k in sacrificed benefits. As those same benefits are sacrificed even for those running a cheap runabout at zero AP, the case for Motability is even weaker at that end of the market.

Motability is indeed a lifeline for many and does provide worry free motoring, albeit at a cost. However, we are right to question when some of the decisions don’t seem to serve those who they exist to support.

#144100 Reply
    Richard Hewett

Even six years ago we had the choice of around 16 different 1 series up to and including the 2.0m xdrive

what is there now a manual and auto 118 which is a 1.5,there are only 3 x x1 left on the scheme there was around 10 this time last year.

just because I am disabled does not mean I cannot drive a 2.0 litre vehicle with more than 200bhp you could say it’s to powerful but so is any car that does go over 80mph being disabled has made my life choice less I get up take my medication have my breakfast I cannot even go to work as the government says iam to unwell to do so so I watch telly with my 500 channels or look out side at the birds. Or I go on the internet and enjoy reading the same old stories how can I get a suv under 3k AP with a reversing camera and a stereo with a CD player init,most of all we should have choice to spend our benafit on the car we desire not one we are spoon fed.

#144102 Reply
    Alan Clark

I took delivery of a BMW 3 series touring – 320i Sport at the end of December 2020.

Although it’s hardly been driven because of lockdown restrictions – it’s a lovely car. It has a lot of safety features, it’s comfortable, it’s relatively economical , the handling is excellent, the brakes are amazing , the boot is a good size to take my scooter,but now I see that it has been removed from the Motability scheme. Why ? It’s BMW’s best selling car. It’s 187 bhp – nothing special these days when a lot of electric / hybrid cars are very much higher in the bhp stakes.

I would be interested in hearing from Motability how cars are selected to be included on the Scheme. Just because I’m disabled doesn’t stop me from enjoying my motoring – in actual fact my motoring is one area that I’m still able to enjoy when my disability means that a lot of  my previous interests are now impossible for me to partake in.

#144506 Reply
    Dave G
    Participant

Unfortunately it has been removed George, they removed the 320i first and now the 318i. I’m glad I ordered it last July and took collection of it November 2020. I also ordered the 320i Touring and I have to say I agree with Alan, it is amazing.

Is a saloon something you’re interested in George or is it just higher bhp? They’ve just released the GTD onto the scheme and to be fair it is something you rarely get like the 320i depending if it meets your needs as the boot of a GTD is quite small and the rear passengers etc.

#144508 Reply
    George

I already have a BMW X1 Xline l would have gone for the 3 series this time just for a change but have now decided to get another X1 because as Glos Guy says it’s about the best on the scheme at the moment

#144509 Reply
    Richard

Impuning people on PIP/DLA as likely to have poor credit is pretty disgusting tbh. You can’t lump everyone together like that it’s like saying all Irish are thick. You might not have meant as such by it but I really don’t think you should be making claims like that it’s pretty insulting, like saying all council tenants drink, smoke, scam welfare & pop dozens of babies out.

David Cameron was in receipt of high rate mobility DLA for his son, do you think he can get credit OK? It’s not means tested it recipient coukd be a homeowner, working on £40k a year with a mortgage.

It might be true that recipients might not get a new car otherwise but that’s not necessarily solely down to credit scores could be hassle, having to organise etc. When I was working I certainly couldve bought new but never did as never wanted to go into a dealer, deal with all that, hassle when things break etc. I’ve had loads of new cars as company cars & had plenty of hassle with dealers not doing work or not caring give me my local mobile mech any day.

#144514 Reply
    Paul

If someone has the funds to afford a certain AP and certain car, then they have the right to pick and choose.If you had cash to be able to buy an 8o inch tv then told you can only have upto 65 inch because you are on dla/pip .Im sure the reply would end with “off”.

If that’s the view towards someone disappointed the 3 series has gone,i can guess the attitude towards those who actually got one before it was removed.

#144520 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I already have a BMW X1 Xline l would have gone for the 3 series this time just for a change but have now decided to get another X1 because as Glos Guy says it’s about the best on the scheme at the moment

To add some balance George, as everyone’s views are always subjective and tinged with some bias towards brands we like (or away from brands we don’t like or yearn for), I would say that the X1 isn’t in the same league as the 3 series. For that matter, the 3 series isn’t in the same league as the 5 Series. I’ve had quite a few 3’s and 5’s, so can speak from experience!

The consensus of the motoring press would probably be that the X1 is beaten overall by the Volvo XC40. The Volvo is a newer generation car with more up to date tech, is quieter and whereas the X1 is looking a bit dated now, the Volvo is a bit more modern. However, the same consensus view is that the X1 is the better drivers car and BMW’s iDrive is far superior to the ‘touch screen for everything’ approach taken by Volvo. XC40 owners on this forum seem to report poor mpg and seat comfort issues on the Inscription Pro. Having read and watched dozens of reviews on the X1 (stand alone and group tests) I made a list of the positives and negatives to help me decide. Listed below;

Negatives
    – Excessive tyre noise over 70mph (worse with largest wheel sizes)
    – Suspension quite stiff
    – Seats are small and lack under thigh support

Positives
    – Good to drive
    – Handles more like a hatchback than an SUV
    – “Most driver focussed car in the small premium SUV class”
    – Smooth auto gearbox
    – “xDrive offers immense grip when cornering”
    – “2.0i is a quick car”
    – Surprisingly spacious and practical
    – “As classy inside as family SUV’s get”
    – Standard seats have good side support
    – Dashboard controls laid out in logical manner
    – Good forward visibility
    – “Infotainment system best in family SUV class”
    – Flush boot lip helps loading

As a current owner George, how close to the mark would you say this summary is?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
    #144522 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I have to disagree about the 5 series being better than the 3 and I’ve had both,

#144524 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have to disagree about the 5 series being better than the 3 and I’ve had both,

Interesting. Maybe different cars suit different people better, or newer generation cars move the game on significantly. I’ve had 3 or 4 of each and I certainly couldn’t knock any of the 3 Series but the 5’s were a definite step up for me. In fact I had a 7 Series once and actually went back to a 5 Series afterwards as I preferred it, so I guess it figures that some people will prefer a 3 over a 5 series! My last 5 Series was as close to a perfect car as I have ever had. I say close, because I once got stuck in snow in it. Rear wheel drive cars are a joy in most weathers, but snow is a nightmare 😂

#144544 Reply
    DaveW

I’ve owned a 3 series tourer and driven both the 5 saloon and tourer to their limit (140 plus) whilst working.

Both are excellent and I would say the 5 is more stable on fast roads but the 3 better in urban areas.

A 5 would suit my needs more now as I still do a lot of motorway driving, albeit a tad more sedately!!

#144545 Reply
    George

I would have preferred a larger car than the X1 but there is nothing else on the scheme bar the Xc40 which doesn’t suit me that has a decent boot space and also is quick off the mark. The boot space on the car is deceiving because if you remove the false boot floor you have a fairly deep space.l was looking at the Tiguan as it states it now has a larger boot but all l can see they have done is remove the false floor thus making it a bit deeper. Previous to my present X1 l did have the older style Tiguan the X1 is a better car.

#144568 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I would have preferred a larger car than the X1 but there is nothing else on the scheme bar the Xc40 which doesn’t suit me that has a decent boot space and also is quick off the mark. The boot space on the car is deceiving because if you remove the false boot floor you have a fairly deep space.l was looking at the Tiguan as it states it now has a larger boot but all l can see they have done is remove the false floor thus making it a bit deeper. Previous to my present X1 l did have the older style Tiguan the X1 is a better car.

Hi George. That’s really interesting feedback as we are also moving to an X1 from a Tiguan. In fact we have had four of them and I’m ready for a change as I find the Tiguan to be quite a boring car to drive, even though we have the 190PS version. The Motability car is my wife’s entitlement and I have run private BMW’s  alongside them, but we are retired now so only need one car. I have enjoyed all the BMW’s I have had over the years (although a 3 Series Touring has been the smallest so far) and find them to be superb drivers cars. BMW also seem to manage to find the perfect balance between performance and economy.

The Tiguan Elegance is far better equipped than the X1 xLine (excluding leather, which is a big omission and a very expensive option) but like for like systems (such as Adaptive Headlights and Sat Nav) work far better in BMW’s. VW’s adaptive headlights are much slower to react and their Sat Nav is absolutely dire. I shall be very glad to get back to iDrive!

Like you, we would have preferred something bigger than the X1 but the only options through Motability are really the budget brands and whilst many swear by them (and they do have their strong points), they are what they are – and not for us. The XC40 was a very close second for us, especially the T5 Recharge. However, whilst many people say that the X1 is looking dated now, especially compared to the Volvo, I’m not a fan of the XC40’s looks whereas the latest facelift of the X1 has really improved it both outside and inside. The touchscreen  Multimedia, seats and brakes get less than positive reviews in the Volvo Recharge and it is also said to roll more through corners. These would be big issues for me as I prefer a ‘drivers car’ with an easy to use mix of buttons and technology.

I’ve noticed that the underfloor storage in the boot of the X1 is vast. I’ve never used under boot space in cars, but might do so with the X1 as it could be useful for coats, bags etc that usually live on the back seats or sides of the boot. We also need a flat load lip for the wheelchair, so the dropped floor in the facelifted Tiguan would have meant us adding a spare tyre to raise it. The Tiguan boot is deeper than the X1 (even from the raised base) due to the car being 3 inches taller, but the critical dimensions for us are the boot floor width and length. Thankfully the wheelchair fitted in fine in the X1 without needing to specify the sliding rear seats. We’ve added Harman/Kardon Sound System (to help drown out the road noise 😂), Sun Protection Glass (for looks) and the Technology Pack 1, as I would really miss Adaptive Headlights,  High Beam Assist and Reversing Camera. It also comes with enhanced Bluetooth and Wireless Charging which, whilst not essential, will be useful. We will still be short of some kit that we have in the Tiguan (such as Panoramic Sunroof and Keyless Access) but hopefully we will still feel that we have made a good move. Your feedback has reassured me!

#144590 Reply
    George

Yes l was on two minds whether to get the Tiguan Elegance but the engine choice was the deciding factor. The only thing l would have liked in the Tiguan is the sunroof but l can’t stand a car lacking in power. I had a diesel Nissan Qashqai is was diabolical never again.

#144592 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yes l was on two minds whether to get the Tiguan Elegance but the engine choice was the deciding factor. The only thing l would have liked in the Tiguan is the sunroof but l can’t stand a car lacking in power. I had a diesel Nissan Qashqai is was diabolical never again.

Same here. The fact that the 2.0TSi 4Motion Tiguan didn’t join the scheme finally confirmed the decision to move away from VW. The 1.5 gets decent reviews but is no firecracker and we would be losing 40PS and 4WD, whereas we retain both with the X1.

#144765 Reply
    whiteswan
    Participant

Just picked up my 320i series touring today – bit of a bonus it has the full digital dash and large 10 inch infotainment – apparently bmw were struggling for the standard dash etc so have put the next one up in – it is awesome !!

Dave

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: BMW 3 series
Your information: