Bird feeders in garden

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Zelda 2 days, 8 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #84409 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

I have 3 bird feeders in garden I can get through 15 fat balls a day have many birds as back on to farmers fields !could anyone tell me what other foods birds love apart from bread and nuts ! Mostly sparrows robins starlings robins thrush woodpecker blue tits etc and fox in the evening

I like Magnums....

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #84414 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Have you tried meal worms ? not sure how it is spelt. Also coconut.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar joss. Reason: added word

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#84422 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

Thanks joss will look in home bargains this week

I like Magnums....

#84423 Reply
    Magnum Mike
    Participant

How is the mpg on the BMW ?

I like Magnums....

#84435 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

We use the fat tablets/slabs that you put into a gage that the birds peck through along with one of those tube things full of various seeds and can’t believe how fast these things disappear and need refilling. Also Meal Worms are used in Winter as the Robins and Blackbirds take a shine to those.

All bird feeding is suspended at this moment in time and has been for about 6 weeks because unfortunately feeding the birds also leads to feeding unwelcome guest with the like of Rats. This years new crop of Sparrows were not too happy about that but their making there own way now.

I have a few IP Cameras dotted around the garden so I can monitor/recordings of Rat activity 24/7 if I suspect the blighter’s are about but have not seen any now for a few weeks so the poison pasta I feed them is working a treat but the birds are capable of feeding themselves at the moment so won’t start feeding again until Autumn. BTW we do use proper Rat boxes for dealing with the Rats and along with the camera monitoring can be sure no other animals are harmed in any way and not even the Hedgehogs will go anywhere near the baiting boxes while they sniff themselves around every corner of the garden looking for their meals.

Better programming on my IP cameras than what comes from the likes of  the BBC these days and all in Super HD at no extra charge. ?

#84459 Reply
    joss
    Participant

How is the mpg on the BMW ?

Getting there Mike. Currently getting 33mph on mainly local driving. Under Eco Pro mode there is a cruise option where an icon illuminates on the dash clocks

What does that actually mean? Imagine you’re approaching a roundabout but it’s over a blind hill. Eco Pro knows the roundabout is coming up and it knows how fast you’re going.

So it can calculate the best time to lift off the gas and coast up to the roundabout in the most efficient manner, rather than leaning on the anchors once you brow the hill. And so a little lift-off icon appears in that LCD instrument panel when the time is right.

In my car, BMW has also implemented a special coasting mode which fully decouples the engine from the transmission and makes for much, much more efficient coasting. In certain situations, it’s enough to improve fuel efficiency by a staggering 20 per cent over the official EU cycle numbers.

So it’s little things that are available to the driver to aid economy. It is just learning about them and how to use them. There are just so many things to play with like this.  The more you learn how the technology works the better the driving experience..

PS I will copy this on to my BMW X2 thread.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#85441 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i use http://www.gardenbird.co.uk, for most of my feeds and also information about specific feeds for particular birds.

they do a good range of fat with added seeds or meal worms etc.

#87626 Reply
    Zelda
    Participant

If you want to be extra generous, you could try putting some cat biscuits out for passing hedgehogs while you’re at it 🙂

I have 3 visiting hedgies and they love the biscuits, there’s always an empty bowl after they’ve finished. i generally put them out, along with a dish of water, just as it’s getting dark and as it won’t be long before they go into hibernation, they could do with a bit of help to fatten them up before they go to sleep for the winter. 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Bird feeders in garden

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: