Bird feeder rat spotted 😳

• Creator
    Topic
  • #160550 Reply
    ajn

So Mrs ajn working from home at the mo, spotted a rat under the bird feeder..

Shoot or not too shoot, usually the feeders are away from the house, however with her working from home she enjoys watching the feeding birds, so I brought the feeder closer,  but this rat in the daytime hhmmm, can’t see it lasting much longer tbh..

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160555 Reply
    ajn

Just googled rat at bird feeder, look at this one 🤣🤣

#160556 Reply
    ajn

#160557 Reply
    Georgie

I hate to say this, but rats are around pretty much everywhere and they’re perfectly happy to eat birdseed and fat-balls.  Sometimes spot mice around the bird-table, too.  Not as bad as the “You’re never more than 10 ft from a rat” myth, but they often live under sheds.  We had rats under out shed that tunnelled under the composting bin and lived quite healthily on the potato peelings, carrot tops, lettuce stumps, cabbage leaves, egg shells . . .  Sometimes see rat scat along the side path along with hedgehog droppings, but they’ve never tried to get into the house any more than the squirrels have.  It’s just ‘wildlife’.

If it bothers you/your wife, just let the dog out the next time you spot one. 🙂

#160558 Reply
    ajn

I might just move the feeders back where they were, they obviously stayed out of sight down there..

#160561 Reply
    Georgie

Might be judicious – it won’t prevent them from exploring the garden, but it might stop them from associating ‘the house’ with ‘easy food’.

#160562 Reply
    ajn

Well if it’s up here again Georgie, head shot springs to mind..

#160571 Reply
    joss

What are you going to head shot it with ajn? 🪓🔨⛏🔭🛡🏹🗡🔫⚰⚱

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160574 Reply
    ajn

One of these will do the job joss

#160577 Reply
    ajn

My eyes aren’t what they used to be though 🤣

#160579 Reply
    joss

Nice collection there ajn. I have not had a pellet gun since erm 1978. when I applied for a shot gun license. Became a member of the Austerfield shotgun club. Which was really good. Held all sorts events.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160580 Reply
    ajn

#160583 Reply
    ajn

Great stuff Joss, I used to buy airguns, strip them down, polish the internals change a few bits and pieces, sell them on, however the site I used stopped selling any sort of guns.(understandably)

These are sort of just hanging around, got shotguns in Scotland though, used when I visit..

#160594 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

Sadly we gave up with bird feeders in the garden, they are a magnet at dusk for mice and rats !
    Rats are lazy creatures and will set up a nest close to a food source…….that being under my shed !

So took the feeders away and with a day or two the rats had moved on .

have a large bag of seed, will maybe put the feeders back up  in the winter when the birds really need the help.

#160597 Reply
    ajn

Yeah UBob, we’ve decided to move the feeders back, lay off the seed for a while, there’s suet pellets in the seed mix too I guess they love that stuff too..

We have had mice down under the shed at the bottom end of the garden, however not seen any for a while.

We would watch it dart out back and forth when sat out..

would the rat take over possibly killing the mice off..

Thing is my Son will fill the feeder then scatter some around for the ground feeding birds😳 that won’t help..

It will all stop now hopefully it will move on..

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Bird feeder rat spotted 😳
Your information: