BHP cap

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Oscarmax 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Kev
    Participant

Why does motability have a bhp cap? Seems totally unfair.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Oscarmax
    Participant

Insurance reasons

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Oscarmax
    Participant

Kev it is a shame 200bhp and 225bhp for hybrids

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Gary

I got my Skoda Octavia vrs 230 just before The cap.

not looking forward to looking for the next car.

Donkey Oatie

Do you really need 230 BHP! especially with roads as they are. a lot of cars these days have high BHP figures but low torque which is great if you are on a race track but not so good in real life.

Winston

Wish mines had it ✋?

Andy
    Participant

My 184 Seat Alhambra is more than powerful enough, next car will probably be 148, and the one after that some electric thing.
    As we spend most of the time sitting at 40mph (if we’re lucky) in traffic or doing 70 on a motorway I can’t see much point in more hp than that.

Oscarmax
    Participant

Kev the Motability scheme has been design around the majority of it disabled customer, ideally they need to concentrate on vehicles suitable for wheelchair, mobility scooters etc, I accept they a limited list of sports and high performance cars.

Then you have to consider the user limited incomes, having a disabled member in the family takes up a lot of the financial resources. You are in the fortunate position of being able to afford more exotic vehicle, probably the Motability scheme is not suited to your needs.

The Motability scheme is an excellent business model as thousands of disabled customers will verify, were can you get a subsidised scooter/wheelchair hoist or disabled adaptations.

Oscarmax
    Participant

Kev you are right some disabled uses are blind (hopefully they will have a driver) or have family members with learning or various physical difficulties, but at the end of the day I get the impression you have already made you mind up the scheme doesn’t suit your needs.

Andy
    Participant

I suspect the scheme suits the majority of its customers just fine.

POPS

Kev, insurance is a limiting factor with Motability on cars over 200bhp.

If you’re genuinely unhappy with the lack of high powered cars available on the scheme, then as you say “private leases” may be a better option for you. Factor in a high rate personal insurance policy when you cost it though.

Dragonfly

Perhaps we should seek the arbitration of the Daily Mail readers to settle the point ?????????????????

Just joking……honest

SaintsMan

Kev the Gran tourer is a 2 series, it easily holds a power chair with ramps and 190ps is more than enough to cruise on the autobahn at 160+ KPH without having to tow a tanker behind.

Winston

I wish the Bhp threshold was increased or abolished tbh

but you cant use the Bhp of the Mercedes   A45 as example of a bang average car , it might be a hatchback but it’s a high performance model as you know

your average run of the mill car is going to sit between 100 to 150bhp tops which I’d guess is more than adequate for the majority of users

Im a car lover , enjoy driving and I wish my car had double the Bhp it currently has but I’m not gonna chuck my toys out the pram cos it doesn’t

if Bhp was at the top of my check list then I’d need to leave the scheme

Philjb

The cap will have to change when larger  EV’s arrive the Vauxhall’ grand land which isn’t exactly a massive vehicle is closer to 300 bhp.

I can’t ever see 400+bhp hot hatches on the scheme.

DBtruth

200bhp isn’t high powered if you’re going to use the highest powered hatchback available on market as the benchmark but 200bhp is still powerful for a car of that size.

Dragonfly
    Participant

I would imagine that the BHP cap is aligned with the cap on value of the vehicles. Motability reacted to the Daily Mail, a few years ago, which featured disabled people driving around in high end\ high powered cars.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Wigwam
    Participant

Brook, apart from insurance, a remap will invalidate any warranty claim on the power train and if found out, I suspect Motability would ban you.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Wigwam.

Oscarmax
    Participant

Brook, apart from insurance, a remap will invalidate any warranty claim on the power train and if found out, I suspect Motability would ban you.

Brook do you realise you have now formal alerted Motability in writing your intention ?

Wigwam
    Participant

Actually, I believe you serve no purpose here.

JS

Motability Do Not allow Remaps “Fact”

Rudeness to Other Users Will Not be Tolerated ‘Fact”

Brook Your Comments Have be Removed “Fact”

Stuart
    Participant

I have a Tiguan with 150bhp and believe me i could quite easily loose my licence if i wished to lol. It is more than powerful enough for anyone and its not a small light car either, not quite sure why anyone would want anything over 200bhp but each to his own i guess. I`m just happy to be a part of this fantastic scheme and to be lucky enough to have such a brilliant selection of new cars to choose from.

----------------------------
    Tiguan SEL Auto in Tungsten Silver
    Metal Detectorist & scale modeller
    in my spare time

Wigwam
    Participant

I’m sorry, Brook, that you thought I was being rude. You were adding nothing to the thread and were therefore in my opinion serving no purpose. Now go away.

Oscarmax
    Participant

I have a Tiguan with 150bhp and believe me i could quite easily loose my licence if i wished to lol. It is more than powerful enough for anyone and its not a small light car either, not quite sure why anyone would want anything over 200bhp but each to his own i guess. I`m just happy to be a part of this fantastic scheme and to be lucky enough to have such a brilliant selection of new cars to choose from.

Stuart I am incline to agree we tow a caravan with our Ford Kuga 150 bhp diesel powershift, we are more than happy, would we pay a higher AP for a 190bhp model, no.

Oscarmax
    Participant

Is Brook the new Kev

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘BHP cap’ is closed to new replies.