BEV purchasing process, including charger install.

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I’m going to keep track of all that goes on in the processes after deciding what car I’m going for and include the timescales, just in case they help anyone.  I am very aware that everyone gets different responses and mine may well be a straight forward charger install.

So, the car.  I’ve opted for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Namsan Edition RWD.  The reason for this one over a better priced Ultimate plus Tech Pack was simple availability, this one was in the showroom, looking at what was docked, there were a few Ultimates with Tech Pack but they all included the Heat Pump (an additional £950 that I’d not see again) Once you’ve added the heat pump price, it’s not a huge jump to get to the Namsan Edition and with the Pano roof  it is more than worth the extra money.  That’s booked for delivery 1st Feb. Car ordered 16th January.

Day after ordering everything was approved by Motability.

Same day I had an email from Ohme asking me to complete a survey.  It’s a simple task, for someone.  There’s a mass of questions about your house, where you want the install, your electricity supply and usage, ownership/landlord, permissions.  Then they ask you for a bunch of photos, to give them credit, they give you pictures of what you’re aiming the camera (phone) at, so you should be able to get the pictures they want.  Then you’re asked to draw your house, with measurements of where the cable will go (yes, you’re making that decision, not an expert).  So, I’ve done all this and sent it off.  Within an hour I get a phone call, and they leave a voice mail, a silent one.  I get that notification after they’ve closed, so I’ll see if they try again the following day.  Nope.

I phone them the following week, to see what they wanted, turns out it was permission from the landlord, no problem, this was anticipated and I already had written permission, so I forwarded that email to them.

Next day they decline my install, I don’t have a drive, despite my picture showing a drive and the photographs showing said concreted driveway.  Next morning I’m taking daylight photos of the drive (with a car in it) from the house perspective and from across the street, showing both the open gates and the dropped curb.

Later that day they agree all is in order and they’ve forwarded the install details to my local installer, who will contact me.  I’m now less than one week from collecting the new car, so I’m guessing there’s going to be a period of no charger at home but I can live with that.

So far, it’s not been particularly painful but also not been a great process.  I’m an intelligent person with experience in electrical installation (I trained as an electrician briefly when younger and at least know one end of a screwdriver from the other), I’ve the technical capability to take these pictures and can understand what’s going on.  However, I still needed several follow up calls and messages to get everything they wanted.  Given this is for disabled people, including those with limited mental capacity, there’s going to be conversations with carers/family members, people trying to work out what they’re doing and I can see a lot of problems.

I’ll add in future developments as we progress, including pictures of the car next week.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 182 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kj35
      Participant

They absolutely should have given you a time slot though . And they needed to leave 4 hours and mine took 4 hours and mine was straight forward

MFillingham
        Participant

You sceptical bunch😜

He’s here.  Mind you, an electrician in his own 2008 wasn’t quite what I was expecting, could have just as easily contracted an electrician down here.

His plan was exactly what I would have done, cable tucked away and fed up into the charger.  I’ll post some pics later.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

kj35
          Participant

Fantastic news !!

kezo
            Participant

I just new they would turn up 😂

kj35
              Participant

I just new they would turn up 😂

im literally sat on the edge of my seat with a big bucket of popcorn waiting for the final piece of the story !!! 🙂

MFillingham
                Participant

It took him a little over 2.5 hours.

I couldn’t get  pic of the electric cupboard but there’s a dedicated circuit breaker in there.

Mark

MFillingham
                  Participant

On further discussion he is a ‘local’ electrician, as in he nearly lives in the same county.  Only takes him 90 minutes to drive down with the current roadworks on the main road down.

Everything is very neat, he drilled straight into the cupboard so everything looks exactly as before indoors and neat enough outdoors.  I’m just a little curious as to how long the sealant lasts on the cable into the wall.

Mark

kezo
                    Participant

Looks ok from the pic’s! Main thing is you can charge your car using something more substantial than a 3 pin plug 🙂

Did he pump silicon into the wall around the cable or just meared it around the pebble dash.

MFillingham
                      Participant

It was a forceful smearing.

Ohme emailed me with a customer satisfaction survey.  I only told them 4 times doing the survey myself caused everyone more stress and work, costing both them and Virtus money.  😁 It’s safe to say I enjoyed the opportunity to suggest many ways to make the process more inclusive.

Mark

Collie
                        Participant

So we ordered our Enyaq on Saturday. Received an email from Ohme today. Followed their instructions for pictures,, video etc and submitted. I called them as my landlord wanted to know if an email was good enough for permission and the woman said she would just mark it as verbal permission received. Received an email 10 minutes later saying that was it done to put my feet up. It seemed too straight forward to be honest after some of the nightmares I’ve read on this forum. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

MFillingham
                          Participant

So we ordered our Enyaq on Saturday. Received an email from Ohme today. Followed their instructions for pictures,, video etc and submitted. I called them as my landlord wanted to know if an email was good enough for permission and the woman said she would just mark it as verbal permission received. Received an email 10 minutes later saying that was it done to put my feet up. It seemed too straight forward to be honest after some of the nightmares I’ve read on this forum. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

I’m glad it went so simply for you.  Maybe they’ve listened and are being more sympathetic, maybe your was a very easy install to plan.

I had an email from the DNO 3 days after install was completed saying they could confirm an 80A fuse was in place and that they would find the install acceptable.  Good job there…

It really does seem like pot luck whether you’re going to have an absolute nightmare or not.

Mark

tvs
                            Participant

Our Ohme charger install went well last Nov. The installer came out and did the survey and fitted the unit the following week. No problems at all.

2024 - KIA EV6 GT Line AWD
                              2019 - 2024 BMW X1 2.0d X Drive Sport Auto
                              2017 -2019 Audi Q3 2.0d Quattro Sport Line Plus
                              2005 - 2017 Honda CRV Exec 2.0d

MFillingham
                              Participant

Our Ohme charger install went well last Nov. The installer came out and did the survey and fitted the unit the following week. No problems at all.

It would be nice if all installs had the installer come out and do the survey, just to remove the risk of us getting stuff wrong (or not quite right) and then the process becoming much more complex.

Mark

ScotT
                                Spectator

It would be nice if all installs had the installer come out and do the survey, just to remove the risk of us getting stuff wrong (or not quite right) and then the process becoming much more complex.

Anyone can request an onsite survey. if you let them know they will just arrange it, a local installer will be sent and a good opportunity to cover any questions, they just ask of the remote survey as its easier for them, but happy to on site for any customer

Collie
                                  Participant

One thing I did note was that when choosing the home pro charger there was a £96 additional cost for the 8m tethered cable. I wasn’t aware of that.

kezo
                                    Participant

One thing I did note was that when choosing the home pro charger there was a £96 additional cost for the 8m tethered cable. I wasn’t aware of that.

Alot have had the 8m cable included in the standard install by just ticking the appropiate box on the survey.

There is no structure with the pricing and know one knows from the next day to the next of what should and should not be included along with a set price.

MFillingham
                                      Participant

Nearly 2 weeks after the charger was installed, I’m still waiting for the cable to be delivered.  It’s a good job I have my own 10m cable.

Mark

kezo
                                        Participant

As I said on another new Ohme thread earlier, it is really sh!t customer service and Motabilty advisors don’t care and will sugest changing cars, rather than standing up for its customers.  Only when complaining to the CEO do things seem to get done, which is stupid!

The quicker Motability get their act together and bring another charger company onboard to offer competition, it will not get any better.

Have you rang them, to chase it up?

MFillingham
                                          Participant

Not phoned them yet, I’m not a fan of phoning people.  Emails have been ignored.

Mark

kezo
                                            Participant

Not phoned them yet, I’m not a fan of phoning people. Emails have been ignored.

Email Mota CEO and leave them to sort it, especially if Ohme have ignored your emails.

MFillingham
                                              Participant

I got an email this morning from customer service effectively passing the buck to ‘logistics’ and someone will get back to me.  I’ll email Andrew in the morning if I’ve not heard anything.

Mark

MFillingham
                                                Participant

Cable arrived today, sent Royal Mail 24 hour delivery, which means someone posted it in a hurry yesterday.  Anyhow, it’s here and I can charge and keep my 10m cable for public chargers.

Mark

kezo
                                                  Participant

Good to hear 🙂

MickC
                                                    Participant

I am interested as to what folks think i should do regarding the Ohme charger installation.

After ordering the Enyak on Good Friday and today having the lower AP confimred in my Motability Acc,i the last few days i have had a few emails and a phone call asking me to start the process of installation,i told the lady on the phone i was’nt ready to go ahead and i would call them when i am.

The Enyak wont be here for several months,so what is the point of getting the Ohme installed now,i would not be able to test it or use it,and say if something happens in the next few months that wants to make me change my mind on having an EV.

Should i just wait until i have been given  a build date and then proceed with the installation ? i have already got Landlords permission for the install.

MFillingham
                                                      Participant

You definitely want it in before the car arrives.  The difference in cost between public and home charging is huge.

If you’re lucky install can take a few weeks to get organised and done, if you’re less lucky it may take months.  Then there’s that trick where Ohme decide they can’t install it or it’s a non-standard installation.  Either way, I’d want to know before putting my pin in.

I’d get it started now, it hurts nobody just sat there and, if there’s any issues you have time to get them sorted without any time pressure.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 182 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.