BEV purchasing process, including charger install.

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I’m going to keep track of all that goes on in the processes after deciding what car I’m going for and include the timescales, just in case they help anyone.  I am very aware that everyone gets different responses and mine may well be a straight forward charger install.

So, the car.  I’ve opted for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Namsan Edition RWD.  The reason for this one over a better priced Ultimate plus Tech Pack was simple availability, this one was in the showroom, looking at what was docked, there were a few Ultimates with Tech Pack but they all included the Heat Pump (an additional £950 that I’d not see again) Once you’ve added the heat pump price, it’s not a huge jump to get to the Namsan Edition and with the Pano roof  it is more than worth the extra money.  That’s booked for delivery 1st Feb. Car ordered 16th January.

Day after ordering everything was approved by Motability.

Same day I had an email from Ohme asking me to complete a survey.  It’s a simple task, for someone.  There’s a mass of questions about your house, where you want the install, your electricity supply and usage, ownership/landlord, permissions.  Then they ask you for a bunch of photos, to give them credit, they give you pictures of what you’re aiming the camera (phone) at, so you should be able to get the pictures they want.  Then you’re asked to draw your house, with measurements of where the cable will go (yes, you’re making that decision, not an expert).  So, I’ve done all this and sent it off.  Within an hour I get a phone call, and they leave a voice mail, a silent one.  I get that notification after they’ve closed, so I’ll see if they try again the following day.  Nope.

I phone them the following week, to see what they wanted, turns out it was permission from the landlord, no problem, this was anticipated and I already had written permission, so I forwarded that email to them.

Next day they decline my install, I don’t have a drive, despite my picture showing a drive and the photographs showing said concreted driveway.  Next morning I’m taking daylight photos of the drive (with a car in it) from the house perspective and from across the street, showing both the open gates and the dropped curb.

Later that day they agree all is in order and they’ve forwarded the install details to my local installer, who will contact me.  I’m now less than one week from collecting the new car, so I’m guessing there’s going to be a period of no charger at home but I can live with that.

So far, it’s not been particularly painful but also not been a great process.  I’m an intelligent person with experience in electrical installation (I trained as an electrician briefly when younger and at least know one end of a screwdriver from the other), I’ve the technical capability to take these pictures and can understand what’s going on.  However, I still needed several follow up calls and messages to get everything they wanted.  Given this is for disabled people, including those with limited mental capacity, there’s going to be conversations with carers/family members, people trying to work out what they’re doing and I can see a lot of problems.

I’ll add in future developments as we progress, including pictures of the car next week.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 182 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kj35
      Participant

Well that’s fun. I’ve ordered the car, had it confirmed, done the ohme survey and had an appointment to actually fit the home charger only to just receive an email from motability TODAY acknowledging that I’ve ordered an EV and to expect ohme to contact me to start the above. Thanks for being so ahead of yourselves!! ( I knew what to do and what to expect because of this excellent forum and thread and @kezo ‘s technical advice. Good job really !! @kezo you should be on motability payroll.

MFillingham
        Participant

Well that’s fun. I’ve ordered the car, had it confirmed, done the ohme survey and had an appointment to actually fit the home charger only to just receive an email from motability TODAY acknowledging that I’ve ordered an EV and to expect ohme to contact me to start the above. Thanks for being so ahead of yourselves!! ( I knew what to do and what to expect because of this excellent forum and thread and @kezo ‘s technical advice. Good job really !! @kezo you should be on motability payroll.

Isn’t it great when Motability tell you you’re about to have what happened last month?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

kj35
          Participant

Isn’t it great when Motability tell you you’re about to have what happened last month?[/quote]

That just made me 😆 loudly !! Completely right @mfillingham ! Just unbelievable really. I’d have had no idea what was going on without this forum.

MFillingham
            Participant

Soooo,

Had the phone call this morning, install date 18th March.  Then had an email from Ohme, 20th March install date.  You can’t make this up. 🤦🏻

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by MFillingham.

Mark

kezo
              Participant

Pot luck then on which date they turn up!

kj35
                Participant

Does anyone know if the wiring for these chargers goes externally or internally? Would look a bit of a mess externally at my house, internally would be in a garage wall so not so bad.

kj35
                  Participant

Soooo, Had the phone call this morning, install date 18th March. Then had an email from Ohme, 20th March install date. You can’t make this up. 🤦🏻

mine’s just changed from 29th feb to 4th March

Carmad
                    Participant

@kj35 , for this reason I asked if they’d fit internally going into the loft from the utility cupboard where the consumer unit is fitted and along to the outside wall and out into my carport.  The installer was more than happy to do so.

kezo
                      Participant

Does anyone know if the wiring for these chargers goes externally or internally? Would look a bit of a mess externally at my house, internally would be in a garage wall so not so bad.

In relation to your garage, where is your meter/consumer unit

kj35
                        Participant

incoming and main fuse box are in the utility room / outside the main utility room which is immediately behind the garage. The garage is integral.

kezo
                          Participant

incoming and main fuse box are in the utility room / outside the main utility room which is immediately behind the garage. The garage is integral.

I see no reason why they can’t drill from the uitilty room near the meter, into the garage and out to wherever you want the charger. FWIW this would probably the route I would take if carrying out the instalation.

kj35
                            Participant

@kezo that’s brilliant thank you. Now I’ve got to persuade Mr KJ35 to clear all his rubbish out of the garage so they can access it 🙂

Adrian_H
                              Participant

Had Charge dev here  to fit our Ohme Pro yesterday. Took about 5 and a half hours, a relatively simple install but we have thick old walls which gave their drills a workout.  Installer was new to the company this week so also had regional manager along to supervise. Both very pleasant and  helpful, even hoovered up after themselves. There’s rather more gubbins than I was expecting and the consumer unit doesn’t fit in the cupboard with our main 1 so is fitted low down in the porch on ther other side of the wall to the incoming supply. The cable runs up inside the porch, inside trunking which charge dev supplied and fitted, across the ceiling, through the exterior wall, down then across  below a bay window to a box low down on the wall, then the charger above then the bable hook above that. A lot of unattractive chunky black cable and black plastic but fitted neatly enough. Now just need the car which isn’t due for a couple of months. Installer said we may as well keep the device switched off, at the consumer unit until we have the vehicle, is there any reason why that wouldn’t be a good idea, such as for getting recognised on the Ohme system and connected to the app for example?

kezo
                                Participant

Had Charge dev here to fit our Ohme Pro yesterday. Took about 5 and a half hours, a relatively simple install but we have thick old walls which gave their drills a workout. Installer was new to the company this week so also had regional manager along to supervise. Both very pleasant and helpful, even hoovered up after themselves. There’s rather more gubbins than I was expecting and the consumer unit doesn’t fit in the cupboard with our main 1 so is fitted low down in the porch on ther other side of the wall to the incoming supply. The cable runs up inside the porch, inside trunking which charge dev supplied and fitted, across the ceiling, through the exterior wall, down then across below a bay window to a box low down on the wall, then the charger above then the bable hook above that. A lot of unattractive chunky black cable and black plastic but fitted neatly enough. Now just need the car which isn’t due for a couple of months. Installer said we may as well keep the device switched off, at the consumer unit until we have the vehicle, is there any reason why that wouldn’t be a good idea, such as for getting recognised on the Ohme system and connected to the app for example?

And sticking out from the “black” jungle there is a white plug with a hint of chrome!

It will do no harm leaving it switch on, At least you can get to know the app, ready for when your car comes 🙂

PeterF
                                  Participant

Mine is being fitted on Monday.

Had an update yesterday that the car will be June most probably. 3 months of warranty gone for the charger by the time the car comes. Ah well.

I still haven’t decided how I want them to install it to look as neat as possible as it’s on the front of the house.

I’m also not that happy the app doesn’t have settings to just charge between certain times. Guess I’ll just have to do that on the car.

Also, no lockable feature on the unit. Anyone can change settings, see you’re account name and imei. Bit of an oversight that.

MFillingham
                                    Participant

Had a bit of an incident yesterday which is an excellent reminder as to why the scheme is fantastic for disabled users.

m Went out to the car to find it dead, kaput, nothing happening.  Mrs F had a scan in 45 minutes time.  Phoned RAC and booked in a visit ASAP, they then offered a fully funded taxi to get her to her appointment.  So, longer story short, taxi came and got her to her appointment only slightly late but they rescheduled as soon as they were told she’d be late, so she was still seen.  RAC man arrived, tested the battery to find it was dead, no charge then test just replace battery!  A quick switch later and I’m back on the road to catch up with the Mrs and bring her back.

Battery must have had a fault as the tested draw when locked was within normal limits.  New, better, battery installed and I got to see the size of the Froot (still not sure on that word).  There’s enough space there for dirty wellies or towels and stuff for the dog after a walk.

Mark

Phaedra
                                      Participant

@PeterF

Which charger are you having fitted?  I have the Ohme e-Pod, the Ohme App lets you disable the charger buttons and turn off the display etc, you can also set it to approve any plug-in before it will charge the car.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
                                        Participant

Had a bit of an incident yesterday which is an excellent reminder as to why the scheme is fantastic for disabled users. m Went out to the car to find it dead, kaput, nothing happening. Mrs F had a scan in 45 minutes time. Phoned RAC and booked in a visit ASAP, they then offered a fully funded taxi to get her to her appointment. So, longer story short, taxi came and got her to her appointment only slightly late but they rescheduled as soon as they were told she’d be late, so she was still seen. RAC man arrived, tested the battery to find it was dead, no charge then test just replace battery! A quick switch later and I’m back on the road to catch up with the Mrs and bring her back. Battery must have had a fault as the tested draw when locked was within normal limits. New, better, battery installed and I got to see the size of the Froot (still not sure on that word). There’s enough space there for dirty wellies or towels and stuff for the dog after a walk.

12v battery is quite common issue with BEV’s. Cant remember exactly why at this mo unfortunately.

Glad you wife was able to make it to her appointment.

PeterF
                                          Participant

@Phaedra

It’s the home pro with a 5m cable.

Looked at a few reviews on YouTube and they must be out of date. Thanks for that

Ioniq
                                            Participant

Mine is being fitted on Monday. Had an update yesterday that the car will be June most probably. 3 months of warranty gone for the charger by the time the car comes. Ah well. I still haven’t decided how I want them to install it to look as neat as possible as it’s on the front of the house. I’m also not that happy the app doesn’t have settings to just charge between certain times. Guess I’ll just have to do that on the car. Also, no lockable feature on the unit. Anyone can change settings, see you’re account name and imei. Bit of an oversight that.

Yup, you can set it to shut off the screen as well.

But to link your phone with the Ohme, there is a QR code under the charger. I thought that wasnt a good idea. I couldnt remove the QR sticker. so i printed a new QR code that said A-hole and put that code over the ohme one. The plastic cable tidy will be the first thing to get replaced.

kj35
                                              Participant

Had an email this morning confirming my installation is going ahead on Monday. Apparently it’s being fitted by a company called Ascent Energy Services. Anyone had any dealings with them ? Good/bad? @kezo

Participant

Yes, Ascent Energy Services were contracted to do mine but they sub contracted it out to a local company called Power & Data  Networks. They made a good job & Ascent were good in keeping me informed!

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

kj35
                                                  Participant

Yes, Ascent Energy Services were contracted to do mine but they sub contracted it out to a local company called Power & Data Networks. They made a good job & Ascent were good in keeping me informed!

thank you xx

Participant

The electrical test & compliance certificates will be sent to you a week or so after install from Ascent Energy with their company info on it. They are based in Preston so makes sense to use local approved companies nearer to where you live.

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June)

kezo
                                                      Participant

Hopefully all goes well for you on Monday 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 101 through 125 (of 182 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.