BEV purchasing process, including charger install.

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I’m going to keep track of all that goes on in the processes after deciding what car I’m going for and include the timescales, just in case they help anyone.  I am very aware that everyone gets different responses and mine may well be a straight forward charger install.

So, the car.  I’ve opted for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Namsan Edition RWD.  The reason for this one over a better priced Ultimate plus Tech Pack was simple availability, this one was in the showroom, looking at what was docked, there were a few Ultimates with Tech Pack but they all included the Heat Pump (an additional £950 that I’d not see again) Once you’ve added the heat pump price, it’s not a huge jump to get to the Namsan Edition and with the Pano roof  it is more than worth the extra money.  That’s booked for delivery 1st Feb. Car ordered 16th January.

Day after ordering everything was approved by Motability.

Same day I had an email from Ohme asking me to complete a survey.  It’s a simple task, for someone.  There’s a mass of questions about your house, where you want the install, your electricity supply and usage, ownership/landlord, permissions.  Then they ask you for a bunch of photos, to give them credit, they give you pictures of what you’re aiming the camera (phone) at, so you should be able to get the pictures they want.  Then you’re asked to draw your house, with measurements of where the cable will go (yes, you’re making that decision, not an expert).  So, I’ve done all this and sent it off.  Within an hour I get a phone call, and they leave a voice mail, a silent one.  I get that notification after they’ve closed, so I’ll see if they try again the following day.  Nope.

I phone them the following week, to see what they wanted, turns out it was permission from the landlord, no problem, this was anticipated and I already had written permission, so I forwarded that email to them.

Next day they decline my install, I don’t have a drive, despite my picture showing a drive and the photographs showing said concreted driveway.  Next morning I’m taking daylight photos of the drive (with a car in it) from the house perspective and from across the street, showing both the open gates and the dropped curb.

Later that day they agree all is in order and they’ve forwarded the install details to my local installer, who will contact me.  I’m now less than one week from collecting the new car, so I’m guessing there’s going to be a period of no charger at home but I can live with that.

So far, it’s not been particularly painful but also not been a great process.  I’m an intelligent person with experience in electrical installation (I trained as an electrician briefly when younger and at least know one end of a screwdriver from the other), I’ve the technical capability to take these pictures and can understand what’s going on.  However, I still needed several follow up calls and messages to get everything they wanted.  Given this is for disabled people, including those with limited mental capacity, there’s going to be conversations with carers/family members, people trying to work out what they’re doing and I can see a lot of problems.

I’ll add in future developments as we progress, including pictures of the car next week.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 182 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MickC
      Participant

Excellent Mark.

MickC
        Participant

First question from me is.

How did the contact with your landlord/property services manager go,were they positive in there response or did they want you to jump thru a few hoops.

I ask because yesterday i made first contact with my H/A about having an electric car wall charger installed and i am waiting for contact with their property services manager after having my request for permission passed onto him/her.

MFillingham
          Participant

First question from me is. How did the contact with your landlord/property services manager go,were they positive in there response or did they want you to jump thru a few hoops. I ask because yesterday i made first contact with my H/A about having an electric car wall charger installed and i am waiting for contact with their property services manager after having my request for permission passed onto him/her.

I’m lucky to have a good private landlord, he was more than happy as long as the install was professionally done.  I simply texted him asking for official permission and he sent an email the next day.

I hear stories about getting H/As onside and feel incredibly grateful not to have to deal with that nonsense.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

Phaedra
            Participant

My HA were pretty clueless, I don’t mean that in a derisory way, turned out I’m the first person that’d asked to fit a charger so they were pretty much having to make up policy as we went along.

Got there in the end with a lot of help fro Kezo of course!.  In fact it’s still ongoing even after the charger was fitted, they asked me today for all sorts of post-install information/documents.

Ohme originally refused to install as I don’t have a driveway and my cable runs over (well through!) a public footpath to get from my house to the car.  Luckily my local council were trialing a system called KerboCharge and agreed to add me to their trial, a couple of weeks and £300 later I now have a cable gully fitted to run my cable through which is fully approved by the highways agency.

After that was sorted and photos sent to Ohme the install went ahead.  Did my first home charge Wedmesday night and after a bit of panic about the car showing a red “I’m not charging” light all went to plan at 23:31 when the charger kicked in and started charging.  Also did a bit of washing and tumble drying to take advantage of the cheap electricity (doing some tumble drying tonight as well!).

One thing to look out for is not to panic the first morning after when you find your in home display is saying you’ve used £13.37 worth of electricity as mine did!.  Most if not all (not sure) IHD’s can’t detect dual tariffs and think all use is at the full daily rate.  The Ohme App I used to charge says £3.39 for 45kWh/155 miles of added range so 2.2p per mile compared to 17.6p for my previous Ateca (36mpg).

Of course in the summer when the battery warms up the range and amount of added miles per kWh increase it should be well under 2p per mile.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

MFillingham
              Participant

Yeah, a lot of HAs are required to work by policy but haven’t yet had the need to write a policy for charger installs.  So, not only do you have to go through the fun of getting a charger fitted but you will be the Guinea pig for all their policy making.

Upside is, Motability are paying. ?

Mark

Participant

Do motability/ ohme require a dropped kerb? My drive doesn’t have one despite having been in place 20+ years. Really don’t fancy shelling out for one on a rented house…

I’d ask ohme but yet to hear from them despite reading that they normally get in touch within a few days of your application. Approaching 4 weeks now since I ordered the enyaq

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar photoColin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Phaedra
                  Participant

Just checked my emails and I got my Ohme email 2 days after ordering.  I’d give Motability a ring on Monday.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
                    Participant

Do motability/ ohme require a dropped kerb? My drive doesn’t have one despite having been in place 20+ years. Really don’t fancy shelling out for one on a rented house… I’d ask ohme but yet to hear from them despite reading that they normally get in touch within a few days of your application. Approaching 4 weeks now since I ordered the enyaq

If there is a driveway in place, I’d would have been inclined to have just taken a photo of the driveway especially if its been there for that length of time. Asking questions can often complicate matters 🙂

Adding a set of kerb ramps prior to installation day, would have done the trick, if you had any concerns, either as a set of 2 or 4.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-2-Kerb-ramps-innovatus/dp/B08TLX56PD/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_3/261-2360036-5716150?pd_rd_w=0xt10&content-id=amzn1.sym.448aab69-6fff-42b9-9d7a-f6325052a6f6&pf_rd_p=448aab69-6fff-42b9-9d7a-f6325052a6f6&pf_rd_r=5HXE5620YNX1MWM6PXWR&pd_rd_wg=aRXnF&pd_rd_r=d73e1fb2-00ed-49ea-b583-ff2f43fc12e0&pd_rd_i=B08TLX56PD&psc=1

MFillingham
                      Participant

Do motability/ ohme require a dropped kerb? My drive doesn’t have one despite having been in place 20+ years. Really don’t fancy shelling out for one on a rented house… I’d ask ohme but yet to hear from them despite reading that they normally get in touch within a few days of your application. Approaching 4 weeks now since I ordered the enyaq

The only reason I took that photo was because they’d decided my drive didn’t exist.  Funnily enough, they agreed I have a drive with all those extra pictures of my car in a drive they didn’t think was there.

Now I have to wait for a mystery installer to contact me.

Im hopeful that there’s a satisfaction survey after it’s all up and running.  I’d love to add some steps to their processes that would positively impact their customers.

Mark

MickC
                        Participant

First question from me is. How did the contact with your landlord/property services manager go,were they positive in there response or did they want you to jump thru a few hoops. I ask because yesterday i made first contact with my H/A about having an electric car wall charger installed and i am waiting for contact with their property services manager after having my request for permission passed onto him/her.

This is my Housing Association looks like they are “pro” electrification.

https://www.greatplaces.org.uk/?news=great-places-installs-ev-charging-point-at-community-centre

MFillingham
                          Participant

@MickC that’s very promising.  Mind you it’s one thing putting some chargers outside of the office, something else for them to make alterations to their housing stock.

Mark

MFillingham
                            Participant

Update:

I have had my details forwarded to my local installer.  They are Virtus Energy and judging by the contact number are London based.

I’ll await their contact with bated breath?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by MFillingham.

Mark

MFillingham
                              Participant

Vertus Energy

Virtus? They are considered better than ProEV ?

Yeah, Virtus.  I’ve not looked into them yet, we’ll see what happens.

Mark

Tgreen
                                Spectator

Maybe a little bit but the questions and answers are as important to help others who may have questions about similar things.

Ive deleted one of mine and happy to delete others such as my post January 27, 2024 at 12:03 am? Will delete these posts also. about T greens ?

I don’t know what you mean, Pedantic is usually a trait of mine. But yes, his adds no value. @POPS if you could delete so we can have a relatively clean thread, I’d be grateful.

What are you talking about Mrs

kezo
                                  Participant

It would be nice to see a clean thread of the whole process of Mark’s experience having a charger installed start to finish followed by questions/comments after, rather than a bit here and there of the actual install.

Nothing personal 🙂

Tgreen
                                    Spectator

It would be nice to see a clean thread of the whole process of Mark’s experience having a charger installed start to finish followed by questions/comments after, rather than a bit here and there of the actual install. Nothing personal ?

Then the first thing that should be done is correct the title, as hs did not purchase anything!, also if we are going to tidy this thread up, we would need to do it with every thread or what’s the point in people contributing.

Keep it friendly and respectful please.

AKX
                                        Participant

After sending off the Ohme application will all the photos and details, how long does it take to get notified back about the installment? If anyone knows please @ me.

MFillingham
                                          Participant

After sending off the Ohme application will all the photos and details, how long does it take to get notified back about the installment? If anyone knows please @ me.

@AKX
                                            I had a phone call requesting landlord permission within an hour.  If you’ve not heard anything after a couple of days I’d phone them see where it’s at.  I’ve found they’ve communicated rather well.

@POPS
                                            thank you for the tidy up.

Mark

MFillingham
                                            Participant

I received an email from the national grid.  Apparently I’ve found a figure for the “maximum demand of premises” which is clever, considering I’d no idea how to calculate it.  What’s worse is that whoever dreamed it up has given it a figure of 184.5A @kezo any idea what I should be adding up to get that number?

Mark

Tgreen
                                              Spectator

I received an email from the national grid. Apparently I’ve found a figure for the “maximum demand of premises” which is clever, considering I’d no idea how to calculate it. What’s worse is that whoever dreamed it up has given it a figure of 184.5A @kezo any idea what I should be adding up to get that number?

sounds like you limited by the household demand, what fuse is on you incoming supply,

60, 80 or 100amp?

sounds like it must be a lower rated

Tgreen
                                                Spectator

You should here within a few days, week at most.

they will appoint a local authorised fitter, when they fitter makes contact for the install, you can request a pre install onsite inspection prior to install, if there is anything you want clarified

kezo
                                                  Participant

I received an email from the national grid. Apparently I’ve found a figure for the “maximum demand of premises” which is clever, considering I’d no idea how to calculate it. What’s worse is that whoever dreamed it up has given it a figure of 184.5A @kezo any idea what I should be adding up to get that number?

What do I keep saying about the customer doing the survey and Ohme putting it into their “guess 0 meter” to come out with a guestamate, without adding any diversity!

Lets do the easy bit first – Either take a photo of your conumer unit/s with the MCB’s and RCD visable or list the Amp ratings of each MCB (cooker socets etc) along with the RCD.

What else did they say on the letter?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by kezo.
                                                    kezo
                                                    Participant

What do I keep saying about the customer doing the survey and Ohme putting it into their “guess 0 meter” to come out with a guestamate, without adding any diversity! Lets do the easy bit first – Either take a photo of your conumer unit/s with the MCB’s and RCD visable or list the Amp ratings of each MCB (cooker socets etc) along with the RCD. What else did they say on the letter?

To calculate based on consumer unit having the folling MCB’s (yours maybe different but, the principle remains) As per BS7671

32A cooker

32A shower

32A sockets house

32A sockets kitchen

6A upstairs lights

6A upstairs lights

Total 140A

Calculation

(1) Take 100% of the largest circuit (MCB) if you have more the same Amps take one.

100% = 32A

(2) Add the rest together

32+32+32+6+6 = 108

(3) Calculate 40% of the total (2)  (108 in this case)

40*108/100 =  43.2

(4) Add (1) + (3) figures together

32+43.2 = 75.2A maximum demand.

Now we need to acertain the new maximum demand with 32A EV charger installed.

We have already set a side 32A as 100% of the largest circuit above (1)

we now follow on from (2) above, adding an extra 32A (EV charger) to the calculation…

(1) 32 = 100%

(2)  32+32+32+32(charger)+6+6 = 140

(3) Calculate 40% of the total (2)  140

40*140/100 = 56

(4) Add (1) + (3) figures together

32+56 = 88A New maximum demand with EV charger fitted (100A cut-0ut required)

The reason diversity is applied, is because not everthing in the house will be on using load current 24/365.

There are more complex calculation, calculating every kW of appliances/lights etc in the house but the figure will largely determine the cut-out required etc and the above calculations are widely used (inc me) for inspection & test, landlord certs etc.

Any issues mate I’ll catch up with you tomorrow  🙂

MFillingham
                                                      Participant

Thanks buddy.  I took the easy option and asked the DNO to arrange a visit so they can look for themselves.  I was busy trying to work it all out when Virtus called and they said the definitive solution was to get them to visit.

They have a rough idea of when they’re coming to install, w/c26th Feb.  So I have time to get that all organised.

Mark

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 182 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.