Best rain repellent screen wash 2019

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #73299 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Which rain repellent screen wash should you put in your reservoir?
    Screen wash is motoring essential, shifting bugs and keeping the washer nozzles flowing when the temperature drops. But a growing number of products are adding a rain repellent to help keep screens clear.

Drivers tend to love or loathe rain repellents. Fans revel in the way water beads away without the need for wipers, while critics dislike the mist-like smear that follows the sweep of the blades.

If you’re a fan, a rain-repellent screenwash adds beading as you clean the glass, cutting the time it takes to apply a standalone rain repellent. But which screenwash is best? We mixed eight to find out.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106406/best-rain-repellent-screen-wash-2019

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #73313 Reply

thomas
    Participant

Hi Brydo,

Re: “Drivers tend to love or loathe rain repellents. Fans revel in the way water beads away without the need for wipers, while critics dislike the mist-like smear that follows the sweep of the blades.”

On a personal level I really dislike the smearing which many screen washes leave after a blade sweep, but currently trialling a donated measure of BMW’s product in the bottle at present. This one is good for cleaning bugs etc but still smears the screen even though my son pre-cleaned it and graphited the blades before adding.

As I cannot wash my car personally I take it to a local hand wash garage every two weeks but find the screen smear is  worse after they’ve sprayed on the ‘after-wash’ stuff. That product does cause the rain to bead on the bodywork like the screen wash, so maybe that also has a similar rain repellent added to it.  However nice the car looks post-wash, it’s a real nightmare to even partially remove the residue from the screen thereafter. On the latter issue we’ve carefully tried Acetone, UPVC cleaner, Fairy liquid, washing powder, dish wash detergent, plus many, many others, none very effective though.😒😒

Any good suggestion from members would be appreciated on proven cost effective screen cleaning methods / products as I’ve spent lots already.

Regards,

Thomas

#73315 Reply

joss
    Participant

I tend to use Rain X to treat my auto glass. Usually reapply after a good wash and its good for another 2 weeks or so. You apply it direct onto the glass. As for screen wash I use Halfords pre mixed 5 litre screen wash. Black current smell. It does a good job for me.

But you could spend a small fortune on such stuff. They all basiscally do the same thing.

Joss
    Current car Ford Focus Titianium 1.5 TDCI
    Next car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#73323 Reply

Chris
    Participant

Depends on how deep in the process you can/want to go? I don’t use rain X or any wash that claims to have water repellent properties as I find they just smear the screen. I personally use and all purpose cleaner with distilled water at a 50:50 mix which gets rid of bugs, dirt and anything else in a single pass of the blades! Firstly o treat the glass with auto finesse aqua coat, it is pricey at £12 or so but it’s 3-4 squirts and the bottle is 1 litre so it last a long time. It’s a wax based sealant that repels water and everything sits on top of it then the APC does the rest, it’s about £20 all in and it’s lasted over a year so it’s 3-4 bottles of decent screen wash in price

#73387 Reply

Philjb

I just use the Aldi supermarket make, it works fine.

Has a nice smell too I tend to just use it neat and top up inbetween with water.

Ive got rain x in the garage. Tried it once and wasn’t impressed with it and the bottle has sat in a cabinet ever since.

#73389 Reply

Trev

Never used it, I see it as an unnecessary expense, wiper blades are free and do the job fine.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#73391 Reply

Chris
    Participant

Free wiper blades? Can you get me some lol. I’ve just got some new ones about November last year and qashqai have ones where you replace the rubber not the entire unit, you would think it would make them cheaper but it was £27 for a 2m length that you cut to size yourself

#73392 Reply

Mike

My local VW dealer changes my wiper blades free of charge usually after 2 years I don’t buy a screenwash as the VW screenwash they put in lasts the 3 years even when topped up with water I can smell it and see it foaming ( steady)

#73395 Reply

Trev

Chris, if you need replacement blades in the future, a dealer will replace these free of charge as part of the motability package.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#73396 Reply

Mike

Yes Trev I’ve had them free for years and full valet when has service

#73400 Reply

Philjb

How often do owners take there cars into the dealers to check levels?

#73418 Reply

joss
    Participant

How often do owners take there cars into the dealers to check levels?

Only when due a service or if the car needs something done. But I am quite able to check oil and fluids myself. if screen was needs topping up I do it. if oil needs topping up or any other essential fluid they do it.

Joss
    Current car Ford Focus Titianium 1.5 TDCI
    Next car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#73422 Reply

Philjb

I can’t check the levels myself, I thought we could just pop in from time to time for checking levels?

Before I became so effected by my disability, I used to check our old non motability car before a long run or once a month.

I thought motability would advise checking the levels more then once in two years? At service time.

#73439 Reply

Chris

I’ll have to remember that next time, wipers only last about a year at best in bonnie Newcastle

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Best rain repellent screen wash 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: