Best Affordable Electric Cars 2019

This topic contains 69 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #78254 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Not on this list yet

Honda e type

Mini Cooper SE

Peugeot e-208

Tesla Model 3

Seat el-Born

VW’s electric ID.3

Electric cars are more popular today than they have ever been. And why wouldn’t they be? An electric vehicle (EV) lets you travel in silence and produces zero emissions. You don’t have to pay road tax, London dwellers don’t need to worry about the Congestion Charge, and the government will even give you a grant to buy one.

As the range between top-ups increases and the charging infrastructure improves, an EV is already a viable alternative to petrol- or diesel-fuelled models for a significant portion of British drivers. However, the EV market is still very much in its infancy, and choice is proving slow to grow.

Having first appeared around ten years ago, the market’s first EVs were cars with around 80 miles of usable range, priced at a 50 per cent premium over their petrol-fuelled counterparts. Today, in many cases, real-world range has more than doubled and that price premium has almost disappeared.

This is a list of our top ten affordable electric cars compiled considering factors such as range and usability, driving dynamics and value for money. Some are still subject to relatively high prices compared to combustion-engined cars, but their premiums can be offset against lower running costs.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-electric-cars

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 19 replies - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #80668 Reply

AngelaW
    Participant

Phil I’m in your camp mate, need to be more large/family/disabled useable electric vehicles before I get my knickers in a twist!

Thinking the same, and would like to be able to buy one family-friendly soon 🙂

#80670 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

I think that will be the MG E-ZS due out in September,said to be unlimited supply unlike the Nero or Kona which are wait-list. Said to be £25k with 148hp and 200mile range.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#80672 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Angela welcome to the thread, are you a first time poster?

What size of suv type ev would you need? As Shawn has said the MG is coming out this year but if you are wanting something bigger I think your would be looking at a hybrid.

The Kia e Nero is out but is a small suv as is the Hyundai Kona, both have well over 200 miles range but neither are on the scheme.

We can talk about what’s coming out until the cows come home but if motability don’t put them on the scheme there’s not much we can do.

#80737 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Just had an MG Dealership open up here in Wakefield, be good to go see what’s on offer.

#80820 Reply

Paul

I had a 2 hour road test in a BMW i3 last Friday, and I was amazed. Not really looking for a small car but it has nearly won me. Absolutely loved the one pedal driving. Accelerated on the bypass and I think I passed Lewis Hamilton!

Did about 30 miles I think, town and other. Showed 165 miles range when I started and 159 when I stopped??? That regeneration certainly works. What about brake lights though, when you don’t use the brakes?Paul

#80835 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

That regeneration certainly works. What about brake lights though, when you don’t use the brakes?Paul

It does show brake lights I had my daughter check that.?

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#81043 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Electric MG ZS EV makes UK debut

The pure-electric MG ZS EV has made its UK debut, with sales set to start on 1 September

Last Updated: 26 Jun 2019 tweet

An orderbank for the MG ZS EV – an electric version of the ZS compact SUV – has been opened ahead of sales starting on 1 September.

The Chinese-owned brand has confirmed that the ZS EV will feature a 44.5kWh, water-cooled battery, with a 0-80% rapid charge said to take just 43 minutes.

Meanwhile, a full charge from a 7kW home wallbox is expected to take six-and-a-half hours.

Official range will be confirmed later in the year, but it’s thought the ZS EV will return around 170 miles on a single charge.

The car uses a single 148bhp electric motor to power the front wheels, with a claimed 0-31mph figure of 3.1 seconds.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/mg/zs

#81059 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

I was all set to go and have a look at an MG ZS yesterday at my local dealer some 40 miles away. Just so I could have a sit in it and see how big the boot was. I showed my wife a picture of it online and she said how much is it? I said the electric one will be about £25000 but this one is only £12500.

As quick as a wink she said how much fuel would £12500 buy?

With the mileage that we do a quick calculation at today’s prices suggested it would last us 30 years.

3 years ago you could buy a Nissan Leaf brand new for £15,000. That almost same car with a different body on it is now £38,000. Battery technology has moved on and they have got cheaper but the price of a new car has more than doubled. I am very pro electric vehicles but there is something wrong here!

East Yorkshire.

#81062 Reply

Stav

Shawn , I,m sure  that it’s price was said to be 4000  more than the non ev model. So about 16000.

#81063 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

Shawn , I,m sure that it’s price was said to be 4000 more than the non ev model. So about 16000.

Just asked Google and:-

Official pricing information has yet to be announced. However, when quizzed about the issue, MG’s UKhead of sales and marketing, Daniel Gregorious, stated the firm’s aim to pitch its EV below the Kona and the e-Niro, giving a baseline figure of around £24,000 once the £3,500 Government grant has been applied.

East Yorkshire.

#81066 Reply

Stav

Never trust the GOOG. But point taken it’s seems to be extortionate compared to petrol engine. Maybe the EV will be the top spec only , meaning its starting price would be higher anyway. Just food for thought.

#81193 Reply

AngelaW
    Participant

Good point

#81395 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Prices announced for electric DS 3 Crossback

DS has announced pricing and opened the order books for its DS 3 Crossback E-Tense pure-electric crossover. The premium compact SUV will start at £32,350 (inc Plug-in Car Grant), when launched early next year.

Trim levels will largely mirror the non-electric models, and the new platform on which the DS 3 Crossback is built has been designed so that there isn’t compromise in terms of interior space with the addition of a large battery.

That battery is a 50 kWh pack, powering a 100 kW (136hp) electric motor, good for a WLTP range of 200 miles on a single charge. Thanks to 260 Nm of torque, in Sport mode, the DS will complete the 0-62mph time in 8.7 seconds.

The DS 3 Crossback E-Tense will be a around 300kg heavier than the conventional petrol and diesel models, because around 50 kg has been saved from the battery’s 350kg weight by trimming other components to compensate for some of this.

There will be a choice of three driving modes – Eco, Normal, and Sport – which combine with two brake energy recuperation modes, brought over from the brand’s Formula E team, Normal & Brake.

Other common EV features are included in the DS 3 Crossback E-Tense, with pre-conditioning possible, made more efficient thanks to the fitted heat pump, and there is a MyDS app to control this function, plus check on battery charge and receive notifications about the car.

Charging will be carried out through the Type 2 CCS inlet, which can accept 7 kW fast charge, and 100 kW on rapid units. The DS 3 Crossback E-Tense has the capacity to accept up to 11 kW three-phase, but since much of the UK’s infrastructure is single-phase, the 7 kW on-board charger will be the standard offering. Whether UK buyers can upgrade or not, is not made clear.

Additional services will be offered by DS to customers, including a choice of home charger solutions, access to public charging infrastructure, and DS Mobility – access to rent other DS models, such as a petrol or diesel model for long journeys.

A £500 deposit can be put down now, ahead of formal ordering later this year. Deliveries are expected to start in January 2020.

#81995 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Article

Facelifted Volkswagen e-up! could deliver 160-mile range
    New Volkswagen e-up! city car could deliver almost twice as much range as the previous model, it has been suggested
    The forthcoming Volkswagen e-up! – set to be unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September after a significant hiatus – could deliver around 160 miles of range.

Registrations for the facelifted model have already opened in the Netherlands, with online materials suggesting a WLTP-rated range of 260 kilometres.

The figure correlates with the range set to be offered by the Skoda Citigoᵉ iV – a sister vehicle to the e-up! – which will deliver 165 miles from a 36.8kWh battery when production begins later this year.

Meanwhile, VW’s Dutch website suggests an 80% charge will be possible in four hours via a 7.2kW AC home wallbox charger, up from the previous model’s AC maximum of 3.6kW.
    Speaking to our sister title Auto Express earlier this year, VW’s sales and marketing boss Jurgen Stackmann confirmed that “everything we have worked on for almost three years” would be unveiled at the annual autumn show.

The launch of the long-awaited, electric ID. hatchback will be the headline act, with a “hint” towards the forthcoming ID. Crozz SUV set to feature as well.

Stackmann added: “The market below will be captured by a fabulous e-up! with an extended range.”

In March, Volkswagen announced that a Polo-sized electric car was in the pipeline to act as an entry-level model for the ID. range, but it’s unlikely to arrive before 2023.

As a result, the company is aiming to bridge the gap with a facelifted e-up!, which will boast more than the 83 miles of range achieved by the current model under WLTP tests.

Back in January, the e-up! was “closed for ordering” in the UK due to long delivery lead times.

At the time it was one of the cheapest electric cars on sale, having seen its price drop by £3,000 to £19,615 as recently as last November.

“A significant surge in demand for the e-up! across the markets has resulted in our factories hitting their maximum production capacity,” a spokesperson for the company said at the time. “Build times for new customers would therefore be too long so, to avoid disappointment, we have taken the decision to close ordering of the car.

“It is, for the time being, no longer possible to order a new e-up!. However, e-Golf remains available to order. We will re-open the ordering process as soon as is practicable.”

Only 27 e-up! models were sold in the UK 2018, suggesting that the city car – which was originally launched in 2014 – has been struggling to compete with more advanced, longer-range models.

#81996 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Orders open for electric Uniti One Founders Series
    Swedish manufacturer opens order books for 2020 Uniti One, with limited-run Founders Series offered to early buyers
    Order books have opened for the forthcoming Uniti One, with the Swedish start-up company requesting full deposits for a limited-edition Founders Series model set to arrive in 2020.

Prices of around £20,000 were expected, and while final figures have still not been confirmed, customers who pay the full, undisclosed sum in 2019 will secure their cars before sales officially begin.

Alternatively, customers can join the waiting list with a deposit of €149 (around £134), which includes global membership with access to limited test-drive events and other perks.

Last year, the Swedish car company announced it would build its electric cars in the UK.

The firm will open a pilot factory at Silverstone Technology Park, which will create at least 150 jobs within Uniti itself, and more still in partner companies including Danneka, Siemens, Unipart and KW Special Projects.

The Uniti One – a city car that’ll use a 26kWh battery and 120kW electric motor to achieve a range of around 124 miles – will be the brand’s first car. It’ll be capable of DC fast charging and will charge from 20-80% in 25 minutes from a 50kW charger.

An expected base price of around £20,000 will include the battery pack, although Uniti is keen to promote car-sharing, whether privately or in funded schemes. For that reason, the Uniti One will come with a key card that can be programmed to allow as many people as you wish to use the car.

Larger models, including a 2+2, will follow soon after, with pre-production versions of these expected to be revealed next year. Uniti says that it’s intent on rethinking car production and transport from the ground up. The company’s manufacturing process is arguably the most significant aspect of its current plans.

It aims to be the first company to fully utilise ‘digital twinning’, which allows remote, localised production facilities anywhere in the world to make Uniti cars from the ground up, without the need to ship large parts – as is the traditional method.

Each Uniti model is also designed to maximise parts re-use for others in the range, in order to minimise the need for separate tooling and production, therefore reducing the company’s carbon footprint. It’s even hoped that the necessary crash tests can be carried out digitally, to save waste.

In 2018, CEO Lewis Horne went as far as saying that “our ultimate goal is to not sell any cars at all. There has to be a moment in time when we switch from one way of thinking to another… It’s time to get the world to where it needs to be.”

#82031 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

A few years ago there was a really cheap 3 wheeler car doing the rounds on YouTube and at shows and they were taking deposits for years. It was petrol but it was cheap something like $5k but it never came off and the company went bust only ever making two cars. Just saying?

East Yorkshire.

#82147 Reply

solent60
    Participant

The Honda e…

#82218 Reply

michellepena
    Participant

Not on this list yet Honda e type Mini Cooper SE Peugeot e-208 Tesla Model 3 Seat el-Born VW’s electric ID.3 Electric cars are more popular today than they have ever been. And why wouldn’t they be? An electric vehicle (EV) lets you travel in silence and produces zero emissions. You don’t have to pay road tax, London dwellers don’t need to worry about the Congestion Charge, and the government will even give you a grant to buy one. As the range between top-ups increases and the charging infrastructure improves, an EV is already a viable alternative to petrol- or diesel-fuelled models for a significant portion of British drivers. However, the EV market is still very much in its infancy, and choice is proving slow to grow. Having first appeared around ten years ago, the market’s first EVs were cars with around 80 miles of usable range, priced at a 50 per cent premium over their petrol-fuelled counterparts. Today, in many cases, real-world range has more than doubled and that price premium has almost disappeared. This is a list of our top ten affordable electric cars compiled considering factors such as range and usability, driving dynamics and value for money. Some are still subject to relatively high prices compared to combustion-engined cars, but their premiums can be offset against lower running costs. https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-electric-cars

Just heard of the latest Porsche, model of Taycan EV 2020 just got caught in Chinese street. Have you heard of this? It’s kind a new to me though, in a shocking way!

#82220 Reply

Philjb

Just read this again.

I know it’s copied and pasted from autocar or somesuch?

But we don’t pay road tax and  scheme car drivers (Euro 6.2 cars petrol and diesel inc) get the low emissions zone for free anyway.

Plus all scheme cars get the London congestion and dartford crossing on the M25 free.

you can check by trying to pay and enter your reg number, it will tell you your car is exempt.

Just thought I’d put that info out  there…..

Viewing 19 replies - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
Reply To: Best Affordable Electric Cars 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: