Best Affordable Electric Cars 2019

This topic contains 69 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #78254 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Not on this list yet

Honda e type

Mini Cooper SE

Peugeot e-208

Tesla Model 3

Seat el-Born

VW’s electric ID.3

Electric cars are more popular today than they have ever been. And why wouldn’t they be? An electric vehicle (EV) lets you travel in silence and produces zero emissions. You don’t have to pay road tax, London dwellers don’t need to worry about the Congestion Charge, and the government will even give you a grant to buy one.

As the range between top-ups increases and the charging infrastructure improves, an EV is already a viable alternative to petrol- or diesel-fuelled models for a significant portion of British drivers. However, the EV market is still very much in its infancy, and choice is proving slow to grow.

Having first appeared around ten years ago, the market’s first EVs were cars with around 80 miles of usable range, priced at a 50 per cent premium over their petrol-fuelled counterparts. Today, in many cases, real-world range has more than doubled and that price premium has almost disappeared.

This is a list of our top ten affordable electric cars compiled considering factors such as range and usability, driving dynamics and value for money. Some are still subject to relatively high prices compared to combustion-engined cars, but their premiums can be offset against lower running costs.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/top-10-best-electric-cars

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #78255 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

And the electric Corsa

#78257 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

And the DS 3 Crossback EV version

#78260 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I’ve got a funny feeling about the Kia Soul EV. The Scheme loves the Kia Soul.

#78261 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Its got a bit of a strange look to it but i`m sure it will sell really well.

#78262 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

It’s a great Motability car, easy to get into through wide opening doors, good driving position, good view out and easy access boot.

#78741 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New SEAT Mii electric launched in Oslo

The new SEAT Mii electric has a range of around 160 miles, and is expected to start from less than £18k
    The new SEAT Mii electric has been launched in Oslo, the Spanish brand’s first all-electric car. Prices will be announced in autumn this year, but are expected to start below £18,000.

In effect, the SEAT Mii electric is a re-skinned version of the recently-announced Skoda Citigo e iV. As such, it uses a 36.8kWh battery pack and electric motor, producing 81bhp and 212Nm of torque. Like the Skoda, the all-electric Mii has a range of around 160 miles, 0-62mph time of 7.6 seconds and a top speed of 81mph.

Charge times should match those of the Skoda Citigo e iV, with an 80 per cent charge from flat taking an hour when plugged into a CCS 40kW fast-charger. When plugged into a conventional 7.2kW household socket, the battery should be replenished in around four hours.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/seat/mii/97427/new-seat-mii-electric-launched-in-oslo

#78743 Reply

JS (justsaying)

perhaps the tide is changing and the uk is finally getting set for EV I’ve noticed in the last week a lot more Adverts on TV for EV cars and even Electricity companies advertising.

#78745 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

JS there is no stopping the rise of EVs and it’s great to see them being advertised. Looking at the response on this forum shows the tide is turning. There are far more positive posts now to when I started on the forum last January.

#78750 Reply

RomiosCyp
    Participant

Well electric cars are good bad you have to pay to get one with a good range (i.e Tesla). I had a Nissan Leaf for 3 years and while it was good around town is not for everyone. First the range was nowhere near the numbers Nissan quote at 110 to 130 miles. This only applies if the car do not move!! or use any heating/air conditioning  then you will see the range drastically reduce to 80 to 90 miles. Bad the biggest problem is the non existing charging station outside London areas. The is amount of different cables you have to buy and curry in the boot and also the different companies you have to subscribe (at a cost £££) to be able to use the different charging stations and when you start paying £3 to £6 an hour and have to wait for other users to finish charging there car it then becomes a nightmare. A small journey of 2 hours will become 5 or 6 hours. As a second car is perfect and if is just for A to B with fast charging at both ends again is perfect for any other uses i will only recommend a car with over 250 miles range.

#78751 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

If I were to interject a “Bah Humbug” into the thread would that even it up enough for you Brydo? 😁😁😁

#78758 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Obviously spoke to soon lol.

RomiosCyp I hear what you are saying, manufacturers have overestimated and overstated the distance their cars can travel on a single charge. This is of course similar to that done with stated mpg, I say similar, as, in the past, the number of charging points were fewer than fossil fuel filling stations. This is not the case any more, yes it takes far longer to charge an EV than an ICE car but this will change dramatically over the coming years.

With regard to range specifically, there are a small number of affordable cars that will travel 250 miles on a single charge and this will increase year by year as the price of batteries continue to fall.

Many people are predicting a fall below the price of an ICE car for EV’s in the near future. Add this to how much cheaper EV’s are to maintain and how much more reliable they are to run and we begin to see why EV’s are the way forward.

We know that TAX on EV’s is not far away and there is no getting away from that, so the introduction of the I3 at this point should allow three years of savings before any additional taxation is introduced.

Vinalspin its good to know some things don’t change lol.

#78786 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Electric Vauxhall Corsa-e priced from £270 per month
    Order books for the electric Vauxhall Corsa-e have opened, with prices starting from £26,490

Meanwhile, the full on-the-road figure includes the Government’s plug-in car grant of £3,500: in SE Nav trim, the Corsa-e sports a pre-discount price of £29,990.

The price is higher than expected, however the first 500 customers to place an order will at least benefit from a free home charging kit when taking delivery of the Corsa-e in 2020.

Vauxhall is asking for deposits of £500, which are fully refundable at purchase. The car’s 50kWh battery comes with a warranty guaranteeing that it maintains 70% of its capacity for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The Corsa-e has a quoted range of 205 miles, however, Vauxhall claims this will be “extendable by 40%” in Eco mode, suggesting a maximum theoretical range of around 287 miles.

The company also claims a 0-80% rapid-charge time of just 30 minutes, but hasn’t yet specified the charging rate required.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/vauxhall/corsa

#78787 Reply

Philjb

More small cars mate. Where’s the electric suv or people carriers for us that need to carry more than a fold up chair or a walking stick.

I cant order again for 3 years anyway, but it would be great to test a car i could get in and out of and test drive in comfort.

£30k for a corsa 😱

#78794 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Phil I’m in your camp mate, need to be more large/family/disabled useable electric vehicles before I get my knickers in a twist!

#78797 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Bigger cars = bigger batteries = more expense = unfortunately very few affordable large suv type vehicles…………………. for now.

#78874 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@brydo I have been consuming information on electric cars at an alarming rate, I have been reading constantly for days to understand the market and decipher the numbers in order to understand my KW from my KWh.

The problem seems to be as the batteries get bigger, which is necessary to increase the driving range which the public demands, but does not really need or to make the cars bigger, the charging time becomes longer. The charging time of a 37.9 kwh battery (as in the BMW i3) from a 7.4kw power source, which is a good homecharger or standard public charger will take 4 hrs 15 mins, the Kia Niro with a 64kwh battery increases the charging time to 10 hours 30 minutes.

For the present and near future it seems that the sweetspot for an electric car is 40kwh sized batteries that offer a realistic range of 100-150 (winter summer) and acceptable charging times. Should we go bigger,  rapid charging will become in higher demand and with higher demand comes higher prices.

#78876 Reply

JS (justsaying)

With so many companies ploughing so much money into it someone is going to make a break through soon, it’s not just car companies either as Hoover/tool and even Drone companies are all looking for that extra bit to make a difference it will happen, it took years for the Can Opener to make a break through way after the tin was in use. Sorry no help but point is there’s a light bulb moment just waiting for that one idea.

#78882 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Range is THE topic for many WMC we have been used to hundreds of miles from an ICE car so people expect the same. As you say hundreds of miles, for most, is not required but is and will be available very very soon. We have 150-200 miles in most new  bevs and 250 miles in one or two affordable Bevs.

In my opinion battery technology will move forward breathtakingly fast making a lot of our chat obsolete.

On another thread I spoke about Tesla’s purchase of Maxwell super capacitors. One of the benefits of this tie up is being able to go much farther on a single charge or make the cars cheaper but go less far. That has yet to be decided but both may well be available.

#79332 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

2019 Peugeot E208 All electric UK debut at Fully Charged Live 2019

#79658 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New 2020 Honda e: platform and battery details announced

The forthcoming Honda e will feature a 35.5kWh battery and deliver over 125 miles of range, it has been confirmed

Last Updated: 13 Jun 2019 tweet

The new, all-electric Honda e will return over 125 miles of range from a 35.5kWh battery pack, the Japanese manufacturer has said.

The city car is compatible with Type 2 and CCS chargers, so an 80% top-up will take around 30 minutes, while a 7kW home wallbox will fully replenish the battery in five hours.

Honda says LED lights indicating the car’s state of charge will be visible through a glass panel, with graphics also displaying information via screens inside the vehicle.

Meanwhile, the brand has also confirmed that the e will use four-wheel independent suspension, with 50:50 weight distribution and a low centre of gravity designed to make the car agile on urban roads.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/honda/762/honda-e-prototype-revealed-previewing-2019-production-model

#79659 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Byton M-Byte SUV: range, performance and release date

The new M-Byte electric SUV from Chinese start-up Byton will feature a radical, hi-tech interior and should make its European debut in 2020

The new Byton M-Byte electric SUV has concluded its cold-weather testing programme in Inner Mongolia, China, ahead of its debut later this year.

Prototypes have covered thousands of miles over the last few months, encountering temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees Celsius. Engineers have been working to ensure the battery, electric motor and other components are reliable in extreme conditions.

Official images (gallery below) show the car wearing heavy camouflage, disguising the design for now.

Byton M-Byte performance
    Although performance figures have yet to be finalised, Byton has revealed that it’s planning two variants of the M-Byte SUV. The entry-level car will feature a 71kWh battery with a range of almost 250 miles, as well as 268bhp and 400Nm or torque.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/796/byton-m-byte-suv-details-revealed-ces-show

#79661 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

Passed my bedtime! There is a lot of hope that the creator of the Lithium ion battery (Professor John Goodenough) has done it again with a glass and salt battery. It will be cheap and not catch fire.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#79671 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Just waiting for the testing to end on the Aluminium battery, primary development towards mobile devices but would lead on to larger things!

#79676 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant
    #80003 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New 2019 Renault ZOE arrives with longer range and extra tech

The updated all-electric Renault ZOE may look similar on the outside, but it can now travel 242 miles on a single charge
    This is the new Renault ZOE, the latest version of Europe’s best selling electric car. Redesigned inside and out, Renault says the new electric supermini is capable of 242 miles on a single charge thanks to its larger 52kWh battery.

Despite being the biggest update applied to the ZOE since its seven years on sale little has changed on the outside. The ZOE remains exactly the same size as it was before. Instead of changing the recipe too much Renault has opted for a small redesign, adding a new front bumper, C-shaped LED headlamps and additional chrome detailing.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/zoe/107083/new-2019-renault-zoe-arrives-with-longer-range-and-extra-tech

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
Reply To: Best Affordable Electric Cars 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: