BBC News – Chip Shortage

• Creator
    Topic
  • #142795 Reply
    Kevin

“The semiconductor manufacturers are working hard to fill the gaps in supply,” Counterpoint Research partner Peter Richardson said.”But it will take time before investment translates to more supply.
    “This means that shortages for some products may continue for several months – possibly even in to 2022.

However, most consumers were unlikely to feel the impact, unless buying a new car, he added.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #142796 Reply
    Kevin

The semiconductor shortage began last year, as the pandemic hit.
    Suffering from poor sales, car manufacturers cut their orders from the Chinese factories making computer chips.
    In response, the chip supply from factories was transferred to other sectors that had high demands.
    Chip-shortage ‘crisis’ halts car production and unable to retrieve cancelled orders when demand for cars grew, Volkswagen, Honda, Toyota,Audi,Mercedes and General Motors all had to reduce production.

#142798 Reply
    Harry

Could Motability allow us to buy pre reg cars at discounts?

#142801 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

When I saw the headline I thought of cod and mushy peas !

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#142829 Reply
    Markymate

Mines been stuck at the port for….. OH, you said chip, not ship shortage, sorry!!

#142840 Reply
    Tardelli

Like Menorca Mike , I thought this year has been testing enough!đź‘Ž

#142846 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

No chip shortage here got loads in the freezer

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#142869 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I always have bread and butter and curry sauce with cod and chips

#142893 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I always have bread and butter and curry sauce with cod and chips

Top man

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#142894 Reply
    Kevin

Due to the shortage of these semiconductor, or COMPUTER CHIPS, these could push prices up on new cars as the makers are using the usual way ,supply and demand, pushing  up the prices  could affect the AP in Q2 .So enjoy your cod,chips and mushy peas etc,you may not enjoy them if they push up the AP, or affect your new car delivery by a few months, as expected     Motability statement on website.

The length of time it takes for your car to be delivered could vary considerably due to the disruption experienced by car manufacturers during this time. It is worth checking with the dealership if the car you are interested in is in stock or whether it will need to be ordered from the manufacturer, which may well mean a delay. There may well be a comparable car from a different manufacturer, so it is worth considering this before you place your order.

#142895 Reply
    Kevin

Social distancing and disrupted supply chains for manufacturers mean factories are producing fewer cars than usual which may result in a shortfall of new car supply in the near future. It’s possible that deliveries of some new cars will be delayed, others may be temporarily unavailable and in some cases, prices may sadly have to rise.    —    Motability home page left hand side box regarding covid 19 FAQ’s 17 th March 2021 statement

#142906 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I understand Kevin let’s all enjoy for now 

#142907 Reply
    Kevin

Thanks Mike,if you go out today remember less on road than normal so can have little stones fly up at the car and give your paintwork a stone mmmmmmmmm I remember now a stone CHIP  . Take care everybody

#142911 Reply
    sif

That’s just that kind of silly and dangerous headline that causes people problems. I was planning chips and duck breast tomorrow and suddenly see that and panic. Please be more responsible, some of us love our chips.

#142913 Reply
    ajn

Wash down the fish and chips đź‘€

#142915 Reply
    Kevin

Not my headline BBc check it out  Dont panic,dont panic Mr Manwaring

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56433082

#142933 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

A nice bit of Tatar sauce 

#143104 Reply
    Dave W

These are the Ford models that are delayed:

Focus
    1.0l EcoBoost MHEV, 2.3 ST, EcoBlue190PS
    Technology and Park Packs with automatic transmission

Kuga
    2.0l EcoBlue MHEV, 2.5 FHEV (Hybrid)
    Driver Assistance Pack on EcoBlue 120PS and 190PS with automatic transmission

Mondeo
    Adaptive Cruise Control (included in Driver Assistance Pack) with automatic transmission

S-MAX / Galaxy
    2.5 FHEV (Hybrid)
    Adaptive Cruise Control (included in Driver Assistance Pack) with automatic transmission on 150PS and 190PS 2.0 EcoBlue

#143178 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Just when you thought it couldn’t get much worst…

https://www.ft.com/content/51762983-00bc-4017-aeab-12be802c3cc5

#143183 Reply
    Kevin

Yes ChrisK

Car factories will be hit again,they are saying yet another month to get daily output back to normal ,after the fire at the semiconducter factory which is behind anyway,real car shortage coming up i think,

#147771 Reply
    Appleman

Looks like this guy got it right , all this time ago and we all found it funny,not any more ,long wait ahead

#147782 Reply
    Richard

Roflmao who wrote that garbage? Most consumers aren’t likely to notice? Are they nuts?

Try buying a next gen games console, try buying an AMD CPU, AMD video card, Nvidia video card & if things don’t start to improve we will see shortages the only reason other sectors haven’t been is because they have large volume contracts the car industry typically uses relatively small contracts then tops them up in reaction to demand, due to many factors there is no spare capacity to operate that way.

Sooner or later you’ll see fabs decide to dedicate their production to more profitable lines so unless motor cos are careful they might yet get priced out. The motor Co will need to change here & move to same regular large volume inflexible contracts like washing machine companies do.

I see thus last until 2023 personally, hopefully I’m wrong (and many others) but we’ve just got this perfect storm going on & curing the pandemic isn’t really going to make any difference to production

#147784 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

It would be good to know which manufacturers aren’t affected.

#147809 Reply
    Richard

I would guess none of them, they all use just in time line management so any that are maybe less affected it’s because they’ve had a smaller increase in sales? Maybe they had larger contracts for chips or its possible some just use standard chips rather than bespoke.

I suspect we’ll never kniw as its commercially sensitive info.

The price of raw iron ore hit a new high today so it’s not just silicon its a whole host of things, some of which could be selfish investors, people who buy huge quantities of copper then sit on it to drive the price up before selling. We now have “clever” investment types pulling stunts like this to make a fortune at the expense of the world economy.

Trading in raw materials for gain should be banned

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: BBC News – Chip Shortage
Your information: