Ban on ICE brought Forward 2030

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129785 Reply
    Carl

129435REPLY

Thank you Julie for the comprehensive guide to eV home charging.  Food for thought.

Are you finding that most nights during the winter months there is a glut of free electric during the evenings /early hours when the wind is blowing.  Or is it more frequent in the summer time period when solar energy is producing excess electricity fir the grid??

#129786 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Is Johnson quite mad?

Is Johnson quite mad?

#129815 Reply
    Chrism74

@Brydo, re electric trucks by 2030.

The company i work for (a freight forwarding company) will be the first company in the UK to have an electric truck, i think its being delivered in January 2021.  In terms of practicalities and cost, there are issues.

The charging station which can charge upto 4 trucks at once costs in excess of £70k so if we were to replace our 32 trucks there would be a massive cost just to be able to charge them.

Also the range is an issue currently, i think our truck will have a 300km range.  As a normal charging station won’t be sufficient we are restricted to only travelling 80 miles from base with the truck so we can get it back to charge.

Obviously the infrastructure will improve but how long will it take?

#129816 Reply
    Brydo

@Chrism74 your company should be looking at V2G chargers, if possible, so they can make money from electricity going back into the grid when your trucks are not in use.

As the old saying goes “build it and they will come” the demand for truck, HGV specific chargers will be built soon as demand will be ramped up. The government has indicated they will be spending £millions on infrastructure so hopefully this will be on the list.

There could be scope for battery replacement in the case of trucks and HGV’s this would make the process much simpler and quicker but does come with a cost.

The Tesla Semi is on sale in the UK, I think, and gives a range, depending on battery package, of between 300 and 500 miles on a single charge.

#129818 Reply
    Chrism74

@Brydo,

We are currently looking at land for new premises, where the plans are for creating a charging park / cafe so people can have a coffee whilst charging car etc, with solar / wind farms to generate our own electric and send some back to the grid

#129821 Reply
    Brydo

Chris that sounds great.

There are new solar panels coming out this year/early next year that are a British design and build that give 27% efficiency. This efficiency is world beating at the moment so maybe they would be of interest, http://www.oxfordpv.com.

I often wonder why solar panelsvare not sited next to on land wind farms after all all the cabling infrastructure is already there.

#129822 Reply
    Chrism74

@Brydo,

I must admit, until a couple of months ago i knew very little about this.  Now it looks like i’m part of the management team to bring the owners vision to life.

Re the Tesla semi, think it goes into production next year but won;t be available here until 2024.

The rush to get our truck on the road early next year is to have the “we were first” tag.  We are lucky in that a large supermarket chain who are our customer really want use of the truck and one of their depots is close to us and they want the big song and dance about them going electric.

#129825 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Brydo I would imagine half the problem is people are frightened and do not understand new technology, just over 20 years ago diesel engines were very sluggish, petrol engines were far more responsive and refine, but now the table have turned.

As you know we tow a caravan, we listened to all the rubbish being spouted out on the internet about PHEV’s, it was very depressing we were really being put off, however we did dig a bit deeper and found the information we needed.

We then decided to take a test drive and was amazed and placed an order, we have towed our caravan with our PHEV all summer, we love it and would never change back, we cannot believe all rubbish disinformation being put out over internet by people who have never owned or even driven a PHEV or full EV.

My advice stop listening to all the negatives go and try it yourself, I have saved a fortune in the last 5 months

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#129833 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Interesting reading!</p>
    Ev owner reporting in. £4000 saved in diesel spend in 12 months.

Electricity provider changed last year to Octopus Agile for overnight cheap electricity 15p per Kw reduced to 9p a Kw.

For me the future is already here and available.

Solar panels during the summer supplement the car charging.

My experience absolutely proves it works and as technology continues to improve range/charging issues will disappear.

#129834 Reply
    Brydo

Chris have you asked to see if there any grants available from the government/local council.

Oscarmax/Man I know you guys have taken the EV plunge and I’m delighted its working for you.

#129862 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

129435REPLY Thank you Julie for the comprehensive guide to eV home charging. Food for thought. Are you finding that most nights during the winter months there is a glut of free electric during the evenings /early hours when the wind is blowing. Or is it more frequent in the summer time period when solar energy is producing excess electricity fir the grid??

Not really, Carl, looking through tonight the cheapest it gets is 03:30-04:00 at 6.91p/kWh, but tomorrow night is looking better with 22:30-23:00 already showing up as 5.10p/kWh (figures for most of tomorrow published around 4pm each day so you can plan).

There’s a cost curve throughout the day & night with the most expensive at 4-7pm and the cheapest is usually around 2-6am, then the excess wind & solar overlays that so if it’s a windy night it gets very cheap and a summer midday can also drop. It’s possible to download a year’s worth of 1/2 hour price data from Octopus and see for yourself how the prices vary and you’ll find it can go for weeks at expensive rates at night (above 6p/kWh!). The trick is to use the smart charger to try to get better than the 5p/kWh of Octopus Go, but it’s about filling up when it’s free or near free (or less!) & trying to get your average rate down, like Ian with his less than 9p/kWh average over a year for all domestic + home charging electricity use. Ian has now done a year on Octopus Agile so he’ll know the pitfalls well.

Saying that, my last charge cost £0.88p & the cost per mile calculated by OHME was 1p per mile, saving £3.39 vs a standard tariff.

Historical pricing data – https://www.energy-stats.uk/download-historical-pricing-data/

#129863 Reply
    Brydo

Julie I’m sure you told us before but which charger are you using?

#129865 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Julie I’m sure you told us before but which charger are you using?

I’m one of those bandits using the 32A commando version of the OHME charger (hint, you can get it at a discounted rate if you are with Octopus Energy although you can use a Zappi).

OHME – https://www.ohme-ev.com/

ZAPPI – https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

#129989 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Chrism74 not sure if this could help you but worth a look.

Major V2G trial seeks new fleet participants

Sorry Chris i had another look at that article and i dont think it would be any use to you.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Brydo.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#129992 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Thanks Julie, my daughter is getting a hybrid and i was telling her of your experiences and she wanted to know which charger you were using.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#129999 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Brydo, I think the EO Mini Pro 2 is also smart, it features on Octopus’s https://www.octopusev.com/charging

#130000 Reply
    Brydo

Cheers Julie I will send it to her thanks 👍

#130015 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #130016 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8971487/One-three-motorists-afford-cheapest-electric-car-warn-experts.html

So they can walk, evolve or go extinct.

As for the cars, look at the prices of electric cars in China.

#130017 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The price of anything in China cannot be compared with the rest of the world. The Yuan tracks the US dollar at a rate fixed by the Chinese government, not by the world’s money markets.  Which is why China has been able to sell its goods to the world at rock bottom prices and suck up the world’s wealth for itself.

#130018 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

The price of anything in China cannot be compared with the rest of the world. The Yuan tracks the US dollar at a rate fixed by the Chinese government, not by the world’s money markets. Which is why China has been able to sell its goods to the world at rock bottom prices and suck up the world’s wealth for itself.

So you’ll be going extinct then.

#130063 Reply
    rox
    Participant

extinct? that again.. yep when an asteroid hits

#130076 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Look at this from a different angle, in 15 years there will be no more fossil fuel cars sold in the UK.

15 years ago how many of us used a smartphone? And how many of us use a smartphone now (even though I deny having one.. which is kinda true as I have two)?

Answer to how many of us used a smartphone 15 years ago is easy, they didn’t exist, we had flip phones, banana phones, etc. Those phones pretty much went extinct as peoples main mobile phones.

The World moves on.

We also know that with electric cars the price of the batteries will drop substantially, so in 5 years electric & fossil cars will achieve price parity, & onward from that EVs will be cheaper than fossil cars & no-one will want to spend extra on a fossil car that has less range, less power, etc.

#130080 Reply
    rox
    Participant

So you are led to believe, just like a manifesto that is never fulfilled. The masses at the next election might surprise you alot, like they did with brexit and then what?.. plus also if other counties do not and carry on using Oil, Coal and gas to create energy, it will be good for whom and save what planet by when..

Cars create 10% of the gh gases, energy creation causes 25% and that is soon to rise alot more..

#130081 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Fluorinated Gases
    Emitted from a variety of manufacturing and industrial processes, fluorinated gases are man-made. There are four main categories: hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3).

Although fluorinated gases are emitted in smaller quantities than other greenhouse gases (they account for just 2 percent of man-made global greenhouse gas emissions), they trap substantially more heat. Indeed, the GWP for these gases can be in the thousands to tens of thousands, and they have long atmospheric lifetimes, in some cases lasting tens of thousands of years.

HFCs are used as a replacement for ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), usually in air conditioners and refrigerators, but some are being phased out because of their high GWP. Replacing these HFCs and properly disposing of them is considered to be one of the most important climate actions the world can take.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Ban on ICE brought Forward 2030
Your information: