Ban on ICE brought Forward 2030

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #129400 Reply
    file28
    Participant

10 years to sort out the infrastructure of chargers and how to recoup all the taxes the government will be missing from the fossil burners

Could be fun

Prices will need to change as anything of a decent size is way overpriced atm

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#129406 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

15 year lead time on new nuclear power stations…  Where’s the electricity to come from?

#129409 Reply
    Tim

Wind I guess. Borris was banging on about the UK becoming the largest wind farm in his conservative address.

#129410 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s all nonsense of course and Johnson won’t be around to answer for it.

#129414 Reply
    RICHARD WAITES

Yeah good luck with that one. Lets try and concentrate on making the cars affordable and practical first, then we can worry about charging them.

#129416 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I watched this video the other day. Chris Harris from Top Gear talking with a guy from the National Grid about EV’s, wind farms, power usage etc. Quite an interesting video and worth a watch if you’ve got a spare half an hour

#129421 Reply
    Brydo

To achieve this I think we would need to be making a huge number of EV’s here in the UK. I don’t see the available capacity to ensure there are enough EV’s available to make this work.

Some manufacturer’s are really making a concerted effort to change from ICE to BEV cars such as Tesla, Volvo and BMW but others like Toyota are lagging way behind.

#129428 Reply
    Carl

I’m a huge fan of electric vehicles since driving a few recently and when you look at the possible environment benefits of cleaner air then it seems like a no brainer to transition to Ev in the coming years.

But I have just read a report that concerned me, it’s now more expensive to use the super fast  chargers than to fill up an ice car at petrol stations.   This is disappointing and will definitely put people off in my opinion.

#129430 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Yet it’s currently costing me 2.64p/kWh for electricity, and the price will fall further into the night, yet my gas is 2.90p/kWh (fully carbon offset).

Perhaps that’s why my gas central heating is off & my electric fan heaters are keeping the place warm.

I’ll be charging the car when the price goes below 0.01p/kWh from 03:30-05:30 and from 06:00-06:30 which will easily charge to 100%.

It would appear that because it’s windy there’s a glut of wind power available, and at zero cost it’d be rude not to charge the car with it

Please don’t all rush to get an EV, after all, I’m quite happy with trying to use up the glut of free electricity…

Carl, you’re right to be concerned about some ultra rapids costing a lot (Ionity charges 69p/kWh in the UK, although you can use ChargeCard to get it for 58p/kWh or pick up a car with a discounted rate), but, you can look at this in a different way….

… Imagine 90% of the electric you use for charging the car coming from your domestic supply, either on a special cheap night rate (5p/kWh is possible) or an agile rate such as I use, it costs very little to charge your car for most of your journeys. Then, you want to go away on holiday & you’ll have to pay for the rapid chargers, but over a year that’s a fraction of your costs remember. There’s the alternative of 50kW rapids at cheaper prices if you must attempt to spend less, but it may cost you more time, it depends on what’s important for you.

And here i am at the end of this message & electricity is now at 2.01p/kWh… I’m nice & toasty.

#129434 Reply
    Carl

That is a fantastic price for your home electricity usage as I’ve just checked my online statement and my electricity cost is over 15p kwh.

Which provider and tarrif are you on?? … Because I’m due a switch soon and that deal sounds excellent.

#129435 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Carl, I’m on Octopus Agile (Blame that Brydo fella & the other EV enthusiasts on here, if you decide to make the switch please use one of our codes).

Now, Octopus Go is the tariff for 4 hours of 5p/kWh overnight 00:30 to 04:30 I think, although there are other tariffs that run at different times of the night such as Octopus Go Faster etc.

Using Octopus Go you could set up a timer system on the car to charge at the specific time, or possible at the charger end depending how much control you get with the charger.

The normal rate of Octopus Go will be around 14p/kWh for the rest of the time which is reasonable.

Then there’s the other beta product that they do, Octopus Agile, the price varies continuously depending upon the spot rate for electricity on the open market, the only protection being that it is capped at 35p/kWh which often happens between 4pm & 7pm in the evening when the grid is very dirty. If you can cease using electricity between these times then Octopus Agile may work out for you. Rates very occasionally even dip into the negative for a half hour slot in the middle of the night so you’d be paid to use electricity but don’t count on this happening often, just like my rates dipping to zero tonight, it’s a weekend night & it’s windy, there’s a lot of cheap electricity around from the turbines.

With Octopus Agile you’ll need a very smart charger & a SMETS2 electric meter to record usage in 1/2 hour slots. I use the OHME smart charger which you can get at a discounted rate as an Octopus customer. What this smart charger does is take the amount of charge you need (I have to type that in as it doesn’t currently pick up the Peugeot’s data) and you tell it the maximum price you’re willing to pay, hence mine is set to not pay more than 0.01p/kW hour for tonight… then it will only charge in the half hour slots tonight where the cost is zero, hence a free charge, but I only need 50 miles worth to top it to full.

You can also set the OHME charger to use the greenest electricity if you so wish, so it picks up the data from Octopus as to the 1/2 hour slots when it’s all wind power for instance & uses that.

If you use Octopus Agile during 4pm-7pm you’ll be paying a lot for electricity, this tariff isn’t for people who use lots of electricity at that time, it’s for those who can be more flexible & use electricity when it’s not needed elsewhere.

Also, you can find overnight electricity costing around 12p/kWh when there’s no wind and power in the afternoon can be around that during winter afternoons when there’s not much solar being produced.

There’s no leaving penalty with Octopus so if it doesn’t work for you you can leave for another supplier at any time, or, change your tariff within Octopus (many use Octopus Go in Winter & Octopus Agile in Summer).

#129438 Reply
    Azzy

Seems we all need to get up to date with how much we will be paying for electricity, I for one don’t have a clue about kWh.
    I just pay my bill as it comes quarterly, I never check the meter to make sure it even correct, it’s not good I do that. I’m quite lazy with stuff like that, I just get bills and pay because I can’t be bothered with all the faff of it all, which is why I think I prefer petrol because I understand the costing of it to an extent.

As in a previous post saying I will be a last adopter I still stand by this unless my housing situation changes which I hope it does.
    As with all new developments it just takes time getting use to.

I had to make an essential journey from London to Milton Keynes today unexpectedly and the thought of not having enough battery power in my car at that given time in my mind is enough to sort of put me off electric cars. It’s not the fact I hate them, I think they are great but circumstances won’t allow at present

#129466 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Azzy, do you know just how many chargers Milton Keynes has?

Milton Keynes has made use of every possible grant & then some to have by far the largest number of chargers in the UK. In total there are around 400 chargers in the area.

Even I’ve charged at Milton Keynes Coachway where there’s a bank of 8 rapid Polar chargers & 4 Ionity ultrarapid chargers.

https://www.zap-map.com/uploads/202008/img-1635060647.jpg

A short drive from there is Chargemaster’s head office where there are two ultra rapid chargers, free of course.

Have a look at ZapMap which shows you what chargers are around – https://www.zap-map.com/live/

#129468 Reply
    RICHARD WAITES

Just had a look on Zap map. Mmmm, an awful long way off working for us. No plug in for me in Q1 by the looks of it.

#129470 Reply
    Lord Muc

It’s all part of the global economic reset, the clues are being drip fed to us.

https://www.sustainable-markets.org/

#129556 Reply
    Martinod

If I’m not dead I’ll be 64

#129750 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

At the moment the major problem would be the range for me. As it is approx 150 mile round trip to Hospital.

#129765 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Even with a ban on new ICE cars in 2030 (which won’t happen) there’ll be plenty of petrol and diesel cars around for many years.  As HGVs aren’t going to ever go electric, my money is on keeping a diesel car, there’ll always be fuel…

#129766 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Even with a ban on new ICE cars in 2030 (which won’t happen) there’ll be plenty of petrol and diesel cars around for many years. As HGVs aren’t going to ever go electric, my money is on keeping a diesel car, there’ll always be fuel…

But the big hitters like BP and Shell are putting their money into EV chargers plus a lot of the petrol station are installing EV charging points?

As the demand for EV increase the demand for petrol will drop

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#129767 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes, the demand for petrol will drop.  Are you suggesting the oil companies won’t satisfy the demand, whatever it is?

#129768 Reply
    Brydo

Every discussion is a matter of opinion, in my opinion the ban will happen 2030 and HGV’s will go electric.

#129769 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Of course, Brydo your opinion is as valid as mine, but you’re wrong!

#129770 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #129771 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Yes, the demand for petrol will drop. Are you suggesting the oil companies won’t satisfy the demand, whatever it is?

The problem being will it be viable for  smaller petrol station operators, we will start to less and less convenient petrol stations.

My energy cost to run my Motability car this month £2.94, my previous Motability Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift fuel consumption 40mpg in the autumn would cost me just over £26.00, its probably going to increase to £4.00 or £5.00 by the end of the month.

On average I am saving around £40.00 plus a month, I am just one individual that £40.00 less for the local fuel stations

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#129773 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s interesting that EVs have opened up the opportunity to recharge away from conventional fuel stations.  Problem with petrol forecourts is that are not designed for cars sitting around charging and of course as you say Oscarmax they are losing revenue.

The hotchpotch of charging places and competing systems will probably improve over time. They will need to.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
Reply To: Ban on ICE brought Forward 2030
Your information: