Available vehicles

This topic contains 45 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wwishes 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #10047 Reply

Participant

I thought I would get the ball rolling on here and follow on from some comments which I have read on the previous comments section regarding the vehicles available on the scheme.
    I have a VW Tiguan through the scheme and have thoroughly enjoyed driving it over the last three years. So much so that the lease is currently extended in the hope that the, now not so, New Tiguan will be introduced shortly. For me the frustrating thing with the New Tiguan situation is the lack of information coming from either VW or Motability. I believe, or would hope, that the majority of us will understand that negotiations have to take place but surely these were going on before the range was updated or am I being naive? Ford have managed an update on the KUGA relatively painlessly it would appear. The same can be said of Suzuki, Honda and others. I have asked questions of both organisations and received very little back. Motability would only say that they were optimistic about the vehicle appearing soon but VW, reading between the lines, are taking no responsibility for the delay and blame the whole fiasco on Motability. The vast majority of people on the scheme I would assume, may be incorrectly, are similar to myself and have to plan long term in order to afford the advance payments on the vehicles we drive. So a little information would be of help even if it was to say for example definitely not Q1 2017 but definitely on scheme for Q2 2017. I fail to believe that the negotiations have not reached some common ground yet we as clients of both organisations are non the wiser.
    I am not sitting here kicking Motability because without this scheme I would be housebound and believe they do a terrific job at keeping us mobile but communication is everything in this digital World and some would be nice.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  wmcforum.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  JS (justsaying).
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #10061 Reply

Participant

Interesting post FB (I can’t bring myself to call you Fatboy lol).
    I think the lack of notice that we have on Motability changes does cause stress and anxiety when you enter the last six months of your contract. As you pointed out, a car like a VW Tiguan requires a larger advance payment which takes some planning for.
    I think motability have to recognise that their customers may be more vunerable and need to be kept in the loop far more openly than is currently the case.
    In conclusion FB, I hope the new Tiguan is included on the scheme because with the right level of trim it is a nice compact SUV.

#10064 Reply

Participant

Pops, I do not mind either FB or Fatboy, but try it once and see how it fits!! Just seen your conversation regarding price caps. If this is the case it will make the SEL and the R-Line Tiguan unobtainable on motability.
    I can understand why it would be done because of the price of some of the vehicles and that is because of all the technology put into them. The thing that does annoy me though is that some of us have no option than to go for an automatic which puts us at a disadvantage, price wise, before we even start.
    Can’t complain though as the SE Nav is also a very well equipped vehicle.

#10066 Reply

Participant

I’ve often wondered about the fact that the scheme financially penalises those of us who can only drive automatics. I understand that a number of customers (especially those who care for a disabled relative) would choose manual, but I’m surprised that the majority of disabled drivers don’t drive autos as it vastly reduces the physical stresses and strains involved in driving. New dual clutch boxes are so efficient that the old chestnut of fuel consumption hardly applies now.

#10067 Reply

Participant

Hi FB, I also live a little in the wilds of Scotland, so want FWD and need an auto. I don’t need room for a wheelchair though, just a dog. It’s the interior of the XC60 that I think is dated, but saying that – there IS a new model due next year, which will look more like the XC90, but the car wont be on the scheme next year… sigh…

I think I was seduced by the outward sexiness and sporty interior of the CLA, but now I’m questioning my thoughts. I know the driving reviews aren’t too good. I’ve test driven both and they are just so different it’s difficult to compare.

I’ve been trying to decide since September.

I don’t know what models will be available, but have you considered the Skoda Kodiaq? It looks really impressive!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  wmcforum.
    #10069 Reply

Participant

Hi Karen, the CLA is a beautiful car but has very little ground clearance or traction for those wild winters, it may well turn out to be a bit of a pain to live with over the next three years. The XC60 is a solid work horse and an expensive piece of kit with a really nice level of trim and would seem to fit the bill for both the wilds of Scotland and a growing dog.
    Have you considered the BMW X1 XDRIVE 25D. It is about 36 grand retail, so will certainly disappear off the scheme in a month’s time if not sooner (so you need to get an order in now). It’s surprisingly spacious inside and probably drives as well if not better than anything else on the scheme at the moment. Winter driving and taking your dog places would be sorted.

#10071 Reply

Participant

Actually just had a look on the Skoda web site. There will definitely be some options there and it did look rather good on a review that I saw. As with the Seat Ateca based on the Tiguan chasis I believe. The difference being that is is a longer chasis so that it can cope with being a 7 seater as well. The SEL and Edition models will probably not make it to scheme due to the price which is a shame. Like a lot of these vehicles the toys arrive at the higher end. I do give myself a talking to sometimes though because all I need is a vehicle of suitable height, automatic and 4wd to get me around with room for the chair. I shouldn’t so picky.

#10072 Reply

Participant

I did strongly consider the X1, but found the seats a little narrow and u comfortable around the thighs/hips (where my problems are)

I may do some more digging on the Kodiaq. They are solid pieces of kit.

#10073 Reply

Participant

Pops, I remember driving my old ford 2.3 Granada automatic in my early twenties. That damn gearbox really did like holding a gear. I had a test drive in a 190Bhp R-Line a few weeks back and, as should be expected for a car just out of its wrapper, very very smooth. I didn’t even realise it had changed gear. No snatching or sudden jolts really very impressive.

#10074 Reply

Participant

You’ve every right to be picky FB. The Skoda Kodiaq is a seriously good new SUV, but I wouldn’t consider it in anything below SEL spec and 4×4, the reason for that is I currently have a Skoda Superb Elegance Estate 170bhp auto DSG diesel 4×4. It’s an excellent car with full leather, top sat nav etc, etc. The Kodiaq SE (which is the only spec below £29,500, will make do with much cheaper equipment.
    I do not wish to settle for less than I currently have when I decide on my next car. I may be prepared to pay a higher AP if that was reintroduced to the scheme, but at the moment I’m starting to look outside Motability. We should be picky FB …. It’s our money and our choice!

#10076 Reply

Participant

Exactly Pops – there’s nothing wrong with being picky! If we’re paying around £3k deposit and £330 per month then that’s compatible with many leases.
    FB – I was wondering if the ‘alleged’ £30k cap is exclusive of VAT?

#10080 Reply

Participant

If the Kodiaq does appear I can’t see why the SEl wouldn’t appear the price difference between that and the SEl Supurb is not that much, I really do believe that Skodaoffers so much for your money and is overlooked which is sad, my next car will hopefully be a Skoda Supurb 2.0 petrol we are switching from diesel back to petrol not because of the recent bad press of diesel but because petrol is more refined and smoother no matter what people may say about modern diesel’s, unless you have a big 6 cylinder like you get in a BMW, Jag, Merc you won’t really get a smooth refined diesel and last time i looked you can’t get a V6 on notability sadly

#10083 Reply

Participant

Hi there guy’s I’m currently in skoda the same as pops and likewise I’ve loved every minute of it, I’m due to hand back next September and am hoping to get golf gtd as I don’t need the space and I’m hoping to get 50mpg from the golf but I’m now worried it won’t be available due to face-lift or cap and it concerns me that this may be happening due to petty jealousy or bad press, I know this is a little off topic but I just wanted to get this off my chest, thx.

#10085 Reply

Danny

I can’t find any news about caps or high end cars being removed by the dozen in January. The only place I have found it is on this site and they just seem to be rumours. Where is the evidence? I’m not saying it won’t happen, I just want to know where this information is coming from. If Motability is not announcing anything and the manufacturers aren’t either then please quote your sources.
    Oh and please, none of that I know someone who knows someone whose hairdresser is married to someone who knows someone… Let’s see some links eh?

#10087 Reply

Participant

Danny,
    This came from a motability customer after a conversation with motability. I have noticed that some information on this web site and its comments section have been very accurate but will also admit that until motability actually release the information directly then it really is a case of wait and see. If you read the first post in this thread I have said that there is a lack of communication between motability and us as their customers. There is also a lack of information released to dealers from their respective head offices and we as clients are stuck in the middle and this really does need to change.
    There must be so much that goes on during the negotiation stage of getting vehicles on the scheme and the deals that motability are able put together with manufacturers are impressive when the spec on the vehicles are considered. But if the cap on price of vehicles does come in on 1st of January we are basically being told that the cars that are priced over the cap are to good for disabled people to drive. That is discrimination and in this supposedly inclusive society is out of order.
    I personally believe the scheme is a good thing for disabled drivers as it can be very difficult getting credit if like myself you are unable to work not because you do not want to but purely down to a condition or conditions that prevents you.
    In conclusion the cap may or may not happen. If it does I think it will be a sad day and will create a two tier system of vehicle purchasing. A system of them and us which I disagree with but will have no other option than to comply.

#10095 Reply

Paul

Hi there Danny, unfortunately it was myself who found this information.i simply went on mobility main website.clicked on live chat and asked the question?i also inquired if ap payments would be increased?but was told it was to early to say at his stage?but not aware of any increases planned.

#10105 Reply

Pogba k

Can anybody shed any light on why this cap maybe introduced?.

#10107 Reply

Danny

Hi Paul
    Sorry mate, I didn’t mean to be snotty about it. I was just getting a bit worried that I wouldn’t get the car I wanted and we’d all be forced into the cheapest 0.9 litre city car they could find. Or one of those pale blue things they used to have.

#10108 Reply

Danny

Hi Fatboy,
    Unfortunately it seems the disabled are now a prime target for the ignorant and spiteful, egged on by the baying right wing gutter press.
    I was just getting a bit wound up because although I don’t change my car until October, I’m already looking (can’t help myself). I was worried that the scheme might get tighter and tighter until we’re offered the cheapest cars on the market.
    I want something a bit special because my condition is progressive and in 3 or 4 years who knows? I might not be able to drive anymore.
    At the moment I’m burning up the B roads in a Mini Cooper S. It’s brilliant to drive but the suspension is overly firm and it’s a bugger to get in and out of.

#10109 Reply

Participant

None of the last three cars that I’ve had through Motability would be available on the scheme if this cap is introduced. That really is a step backwards.

#10110 Reply

Danny

I’ve spoken to Motability and sure enough the cap comes into effect from Q1 2017. £28,ooo Manual and £29,500 Automatic. We’ll see 150 cars removed from the list.

#10111 Reply

Participant

I’m already scrolling through the pages of Autotrader.

#10112 Reply

Paul

Did you not believe me Danny boy 😜 I don’t think you are being snotty in the slightest pal.motability has gone down in my estimation..(losing my trust)they know they have you backed into a corner!!! no no claims bonus, no bank loans if you don’t work etc etc bar blar blar…

#10113 Reply

Pogback

Wonder where they get these figures from, seems a bit discriminate to me!

#10115 Reply

Danny

Ah well Paul, what’s the point of worrying about it? Soon be xmas and all that.
    I’m not due to change cars until October so fingers crossed they’ll be something decent left to choose. If I could stay on my feet I’d get a skateboard!

#10116 Reply

Participant

I’ve just opened a thread on “best cars under the new price cap’. If we use it positively just for info on those good cars that qualify, and keep our general complaints and discussions about the scheme changes on here, we could compile a useful list to assist those of us who are currently thinking about our next vehicle.

I have to say that a quick flick through manufacturers price lists is very worrying …. BMW and Mercedes diesels will disappear apart from their smallest offerings. It looks like even manufacturers like Skoda may not be able to offer a combination of a decent engine and trim on it’s better cars.
    We need to do our research on what we’re left with at the (so called) top end of the scheme.
    I realise that the vast majority of Motability customers may not be affected by these upcoming changes as the lower end and middle market cars remain, but for those of us who really enjoy our cars with a passion, it looks like we’re going to have to search really hard to find something to fire our imagination.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
Reply To: Available vehicles

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: