Audi Q3 first impressions (v BMW x1)

• Creator
    Topic
  • #143348 Reply
    Donkey Oatie

Collected our Audi Q3 35tfsi Black edition on Saturday, swapping from BMW X1 1.8 s drive diesel.  We were a bit concerned that the performance of the 1.5 engine would be a disappointment after the 1.8 diesel. they both have similar BHP figures but the Audi is lower in torque being a petrol.

Initial impressions are all good. Interior space, the cabin feels wider and plenty of legroom front and rear. The boot with the rear seats fully back is about an inch longer that the BMW. There is no space under the boot floor which is taken up by the mild hybrid batteries and associated gubbins.

Seats are a massive improvement on the BMW much more comfortable and supportive, and the Audi has a sensible seat belt hanger which is adjustable so it is not permanently trying to throttle shorter drivers/passengers. The Audi dash and infotainment system is amazing, slightly too complex for me, it will take a bit of work to get to grips with it. In comparison the BMW did feel a bit dated, The car was a 2017 model so the newer ones are a bit more up to date. A lot of the controls are standard VAG so maybe the BMW feels a bit better quality but some functions like windscreen wipers work better in the Audi

Suspension is nice and supple, the Black edition is basically the S line which has lowered suspension and I worried that it may be too harsh on our local lanes. The BMW when new was very hard and only after nearly 40000 miles was beginning to soften. Handling is much better the BMW always feels a little fidgety the Audi is much more stable.

The Audi gearbox comes in for some criticism and while perfectly good its not as good as the BMW 8 speeder, one thing which is a bit disconcerting is on decelerating the engine cuts and the mild hybrid keeps everything turning over. This sometimes feels as if there is hesitancy coming back on the throttle. Performance wise the Audi is a match for the BMW and feels more sprightly, although neither are performance cars. Its too early to tell about fuel consumption but the read out says mid 30s The BMW was averaging 47 on mixed driving over the 4 years. A lot more on long runs which the Audi would struggle to match. But working it out the overall extra cost will not bee to bad as we are doing less long journeys and more local running about.

One thing which may be a good or bad point dependent on your point of view is that the Audi has an ignition key and the BMW has a keyless start. It suits me as I was always forgetting where I had the Ignition fob, at least when it is fixed to the dashboard you know where it is!

Overall very impressed ( at the moment) hope it is as reliable as the X1

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143351 Reply
    Lou

Thankyou for your review! Have been slightly worried about the engine too as il be going from a 2 litre diesel bmw (privately owned) to a 1.5 petrol (Audi q3) like yourself so that’s reassuring to read. Have you found you have needed to use the touch screen at all whilst driving? I’m so used to using the little round nob for changing the radio stations and checking tyre pressure/oil etc that I worry about changing from nobs to a big touchy feely screen, I don’t want any need to be using it unless parked. Did yours come with front electric seats as standard? Thanks

#143356 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Many thanks for posting your balanced initial feedback Donkey Oatie. Very interesting as I have both the Q3 1.5 S-Line and X1 20i X-Line on my shortlist. With the options that I would add (Comfort & Sound Pack, Full leather & Ambient Lighting) the Q3 would have most things that I want, other than Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Headlights, Full Beam Assist & Keyless entry. Specced to a similar level, the X1 would be £1,800 more but obviously has a much more powerful engine and 4WD. Difficult decision so your comments are helpful. I look forward to seeing both cars in the flesh in April.

#143376 Reply
    Richard Hewett

The x line x1 xdrive comes free with full leather and full extended lighting that includes the full ambient lighting.

having privately owned a q3 the bmw knocks spots off it the 2.0litre engine is so smooth plenty of power mine is the 8speed auto at 40mph it’s doing 1,200 rpm,0-62 7.3  the new seating introduced in the 2019 model is very supportive and comfortable and the heating is really hot good for my arthritis….

#143379 Reply
    Donkey Oatie

The X1 1.8 s drive is actually the 2 litre engine 148 bhp diesel. Nice engine and no problems apart from a DPF failure. The Q3 feels more responsive. I had a 2.0 xdrive X1 for a week or so when My car was getting the DPF sorted. It was a fair bit thirstier, ( from memory around 40mpg) and the sports leather seats were for me no better than the standard ones and  worse than the Q3. I agree the BMW gearbox is better.

We went for the sound and comfort pack which has pretty much all we need the seats are not electrically adjustable but are heated. Again electrically adjustable seats are of little use to me as I am the only one who drives the car.

The BMW rotating control is easier to manage than touch screen, although I think the new BMW’s have more touch screen s incorporated ( it is cheaper to make). So its something we will have to live with. Most people will find a level of interaction that they are happy with and not use maybe 70% of the features.

I did forget to say that the lane departure warning is bloody annoying in narrow country roads when you are trying to dodge the potholed edges! luckily you can turn it off.

#143383 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Donkey Oatie – It’s so refreshing to read your balanced reviews, warts and all, rather than the ‘my car is better than any other car in all respects’ reviews that I treat with a pinch of salt. As you have moved from an X1 to a Q3 I am keen to know your view on the criticisms that almost every review of these cars have highlighted. Both cars get good reviews overall, but the X1 is universally criticised as having excessive road noise. Equally, the Q3 is criticised for its poor auto box (lag when wanting to accelerate) and that the 1.5 petrol engine lacks oomph when overtaking. Given that I cannot seem to find a perfect car on the Motability scheme, which would you say is the least annoying to live with – the road noise of the X1 or the auto box / power delivery of the Q3? I can see that we are going to have to compromise somewhere!

#143384 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The x line x1 xdrive comes free with full leather and full extended lighting that includes the full ambient lighting. having privately owned a q3 the bmw knocks spots off it the 2.0litre engine is so smooth plenty of power mine is the 8speed auto at 40mph it’s doing 1,200 rpm,0-62 7.3 the new seating introduced in the 2019 model is very supportive and comfortable and the heating is really hot good for my arthritis….

Richard – does your X1 have the standard or sport seats? When we looked in 2018 the standard seats seemed too small and unsupportive, but the sport ones were too hard. As you say, they have changed since but I don’t know if they upgraded both seat types?

#143385 Reply
    Boosie

Good review Donkey. Did you opt for any additional ‘packs’? I’m wondering how the standard speakers are..

#143401 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Standard leather seats on the X1 were improved before we got ours and we’ve found them fine, although I was concerned at first the squab seemed hard and unforgiving but I think it was the thickness and stiffness of the leather covering which took a few weeks to relax.

Unless they’ve changed it, the standard sound system has big speakers under the front seats and for me gives very good and natural sound and plenty of it.

#143412 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Richard – does your X1 have the standard or sport seats? When we looked in 2018 the standard seats seemed too small and unsupportive, but the sport ones were too hard. As you say, they have changed since but I don’t know if they upgraded both seat types?

Just for the record our BMW Gran Tourer has the sports seats. I initially thought that the seats may be a little hard. It was only after a 300 mile trip to Glencoe that I realised just how comfortable and supportive they are. Never in 3 years have they been an issue

#145323 Reply
    Thomas harvey

don’t know if anyone else can help, but picked up a Audi q3 black edition 1.5l petrol 3 weeks ago and I’m getting between 20 and 30 mpg, I’ve got it in eco mode and don’t drive it anywhere near 2000rpm. Should I be worried or do I need to give in time to bed in?
    Anyone else having this issue? Thanks in advance 

#145330 Reply
    Richard

Hi my x1 has the new upgraded standard seats I remember testing the x1 in 2016 I thought they had put in mini seats by mistake it actually stoped me from getting the x1 going back to my x1 I’m 6ft 2 and 16 stone I have psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis I’m glad to say the suspension set up is much softer than my focus st3 irons out many pot holes and makes for a pleasant drive with not much if any leaning at roundabouts.I had to take 2 24 inch bikes to Halfords last week they went in with much room to spare with the rear seats down I could have got another in easy,as I’m taking it easy for the first 1000 miles I have not taken her over 4000 revs but you can tell it’s a fast vehicle although 192bhp is not quick by any means whilst trawling through the mind boggling information on the I drive I came across launch control I will have to give it a go at lest a few times after I have put a few miles on her.

#145342 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi my x1 has the new upgraded standard seats I remember testing the x1 in 2016 I thought they had put in mini seats by mistake it actually stoped me from getting the x1 going back to my x1 I’m 6ft 2 and 16 stone I have psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis I’m glad to say the suspension set up is much softer than my focus st3 irons out many pot holes and makes for a pleasant drive with not much if any leaning at roundabouts.I had to take 2 24 inch bikes to Halfords last week they went in with much room to spare with the rear seats down I could have got another in easy,as I’m taking it easy for the first 1000 miles I have not taken her over 4000 revs but you can tell it’s a fast vehicle although 192bhp is not quick by any means whilst trawling through the mind boggling information on the I drive I came across launch control I will have to give it a go at lest a few times after I have put a few miles on her.

Hi Richard. I am a similar height and build to you and, also like you, discounted the X1 in 2018 due to the poor seats (plus a few other things that have also now been addressed with the facelift). Do I take it that you are finding the standard seats to be comfortable and supportive enough in the under thigh area, as they are still a bit shorter than the seats we have in our Tiguan? We didn’t opt for sport seats as I find them too hard and also a bit ‘snug’ for my build!

Also, how are you finding the tyre noise on the motorway, particularly in the 70-80mph range (if you do that speed)? Having now ordered one, these are the two aspects that we are still slightly concerned about. We are having a 75 minute test drive next week and will be able to check out the motorway tyre noise, but it might have sport seats which won’t inform the other question. Final question, how many months from order to delivery? Thanks.

P.S. I’ve seen a few YouTube reviews of people trying out Launch Control on the X1 20i. Looks a bit scary but then when they did 0-62 without launch control it still made the same 7.3 seconds!

#145379 Reply
    72 dudes

@ Thomas Harvey

Is this mainly short journeys or have you done any longer distances yet?

No car will perform well economy wise on short journeys ( apart from electric powered ones!)

It will improve as it beds in, but there’s no need to keep the revs so low. In fact to get the best from the engine as it gets older, you should occasionally rev it to around 3500 and higher as the miles increase, once the oil is warm of course.

We had your car’s predecessor, the 1.4 TFSi S tronic and overall we only got 36.1 average over the 3 years, although it would often get over 40 on a long run.

Around town on a cold engine, 20 to 30 sounds about right.

Forget the EU official figure of 47 or whatever it is.

#145386 Reply
    Bren Mac

What was the time scale between ordering and taking delivery of your Q3? It’s on the list of cars I’m considering but I’m put off by some stories I’ve heard about delivery times,kind regards

#145397 Reply
    Richard

Hi glos guy

the only noise I hear on the motorway is a bit of wind noise around the wing mirrors and the different surfaces ie the concrete and shell grip but much quieter than my st3 the x1 is running Bridgestone tyres,the x1 only has run flats that they seem to attribute most of the tyre noise to if you spec the 19 inch wheels I was more than happy with the 18inch standard diamond cut 566 wheels. Regarding the seats they are well supportive around the thigh area I have 35inch legs so long and I’ve had no issues with a drive in excess of 110 miles  so far,the only issue was mine took 9 months from order to delivery but COVID had a massive hand in that.any further questions by all means ask I’m more than happy to help.

#145398 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi glos guy the only noise I hear on the motorway is a bit of wind noise around the wing mirrors and the different surfaces ie the concrete and shell grip but much quieter than my st3 the x1 is running Bridgestone tyres,the x1 only has run flats that they seem to attribute most of the tyre noise to if you spec the 19 inch wheels I was more than happy with the 18inch standard diamond cut 566 wheels. Regarding the seats they are well supportive around the thigh area I have 35inch legs so long and I’ve had no issues with a drive in excess of 110 miles so far,the only issue was mine took 9 months from order to delivery but COVID had a massive hand in that.any further questions by all means ask I’m more than happy to help.

Thanks Richard. I’m having the standard 18” xLine alloys (style 579) which the dealer tells me are not run-flats. Never had any noise issues at all with countless run flats on 3 and 5 Series BMW’s, but they seem to have been an issue on the X1 (which has less sound insulation) and my understanding was that they don’t fit run flats on the X1 any more due to this (although I’ve read that the upgraded 19” wheels may have them, but neither the spec list or configurator say one way or the other about run flats on any wheel options, which is less than helpful). Great to hear that you find the seats OK – thanks for reassuring me. I’m expecting 6 months to delivery but lead times seem to be very long on most cars at present, so I’m not holding my breath. I’m not too bothered about mpg but, out of interest, what are you getting in yours? Although it’s a powerful 2.0i it seems to be fairly good on fuel (mine will be the 4 wheel drive version). Anything above 30 mpg I would be quite pleased with, especially as it has a 61 litre fuel tank which should give a good range.

#145469 Reply
    Thomas harvey

<p style=”text-align: right;”>I mainly been doing short journeys when I did do a 2 hour drive the other day I got 32mpg I was told petrol would be better for short journeys but I’m being proved wrong and I am just getting worried,  it is not going to get any better and I just wished I had gone for the Diesel version but that only just got released last week, I wish I would have waited now, but apart from that brilliant car and would recommend to anyone</p>
    <p style=”text-align: right;”>if anyone ordered I would recommend getting the comfort pack as the heated seats are brilliant</p>

#145479 Reply
    72 dudes

Hi Thomas,

You were told Petrol is better for short journeys not because they are more frugal on fuel, but because diesels are totally unsuitable for short journeys, with the particle filters and exhaust gas recirculation valves fitted nowadays to comply with the latest emissions.

Before you know it, a diesel Q3 would be going into limp mode and requiring a trip back to the dealer.

32 on your 2 hour run does sound a bit low, but will depend on temperature, wind, traffic as well as your driving style. Did you reset the fuel computer before the 2 hour journey?

<p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

#145493 Reply
    Robert

My last 2 vehicles have been diesel and only do short journeys about town get high 40s on mpg and never had dpf issues have I just been lucky.

#145512 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

hi Robert,

What car do you have?

#145515 Reply
    Thomas harvey

The computer on the new q3 automatically resets every time I get in the car and I get a detailed view of how much mpg I’m using on the virtual cockpit it even shows me when I’m using to much fuel during acceleration

Am i the only q3 owner with this issue? I had the old one but with a Diesel engine and that was with a bigger engine and I was using way less fuel, and that was a Quattro

have I been scammed into taking this one?

#145517 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The computer on the new q3 automatically resets every time I get in the car and I get a detailed view of how much mpg I’m using on the virtual cockpit it even shows me when I’m using to much fuel during acceleration Am i the only q3 owner with this issue? I had the old one but with a Diesel engine and that was with a bigger engine and I was using way less fuel, and that was a Quattro have I been scammed into taking this one?

Not sure you’ve been scammed, just diesels give far better MPG than a petrol ever will!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#145551 Reply
    Robert

Hi muggy had renault kadjar 3and half years returned with 12k on the clock no dpf issues now have C5 Aircross only done 900 miles in 8 months because of lockdown still no dpf problems 🤞

#145561 Reply
    Donkey Oatie

A few weeks in and we are running at a steady 35.6 MPG there are two displays accessed by the thumbwheel on the left of the steering wheel. the short term mpg resets each trip but if you turn the wheel you get the long term mpg which you have to zero manually.

#145605 Reply
    Bob

The high fuel consumption on the q3 petrol, sounds like the uneconomical petrol xc40. My diesel Cla 190 averages 59mpg, I couldn’t afford the fuel at 35mpg.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Audi Q3 first impressions (v BMW x1)
Your information: