Ask Motability when the Tesla 3 is coming on the scheme.

This topic contains 91 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Tomas (Tomas) 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #75609 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Tesla model 3 is coming to the UK in early May, exact costs have not yet been released but will be within Motabilities guidlines for an auto.

By all accounts it is a very very good car so why shouldn`t we be able to get one?

If interested why not contact Motability and ask the question, i will be.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85712 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Forgot to add that all of this is easier said than done but I believe that motability, if they wanted too, could easily change the cap rules for electric cars (like they have for 200bhp limit)

#85719 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Tesla are about to open another gigafactory, this time in China, so by the end of the year they will be making about double the numbers they are now. Obviously the number of batteries will be doubled making the price of batteries Tesla make much cheaper.

Tesla bought a  company called Maxwell Technologies which they hope will increase battery range by using The Maxwell dry battery electrode technology to nearly double the range of new Tesla BEVs.

#85720 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Suvguy I think your right and they could use saving the environment as a reason.

#85820 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

can we have the upcoming all electric porsche on the scheme please with its 434 mile range? 😛 😛

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar Rico.
    #86019 Reply
    JMTesla

£1051.68 From Churchill, all the same conditions as previously used, the area I live in has had a particularly high rate of car theft.

#86070 Reply
    ian

I want one.

#86075 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

I can see them being made in china mass produced crap nothing special about tesla just the name which goes back in history to a failed mad professor of electricity im not sure what people are raving about on here about them going onto motability there’s far better cars with engines that can recharge themselves out there.

#86078 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Dave what are the far better cars with “engines that can recharge themselves”.

#86079 Reply
    Ian

Dave have you driven a Tesla or is it the usual uneducated rhetoric you are spouting?

#86084 Reply
    Philjb

I’ve never seen an engine that recharged itself? Surely you mean a battery.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>If you watch Chris harris’s review on the Tesla 3 he said the only thing it didn’t do better then the benchmark BMW M3 was drifting.</p>
    But it was faster in every way and more fun to drive on a track.

But driffting as in smoking the rear tyres the M3 was slightly better.

If there’s an M3 equivalent on the motability scheme I’m in. 👍🏻

#86086 Reply
    POPS

daveblue,

Calm down please, respect other posters right to have their own opinions.

Thank you.

#86092 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

The new toyota corolla hybrid part engine part electric can regenerate the batteries and can go much further than any electric i think this and other forms of fuel cell tech with be the future as pure electric is not two bad in a mobility scooter which i have but has its limitations.As seen in the massive power cuts recently and talk of out old power stations will not be able to cope if everyone was in an electric car as auto express has talked about we would need more power stations bought in and there’s also the problem of pollution and mining for lithium and other pollutants that is already leaving a large footprint in the world where its being mined.There is the lithium batteries that will need to be stored when worn out which is already a big problem at this time.By the way pops i am calm just pointing out what’s real and that electric is no answer to the future transport in the world.As to the Tesler i like the look of it but its no match for future hybrids that will have to have some sort of regeneration if i was spending my own money at this time i would no way buy a pure electric if on motability i would as it takes the hit in the loss  in depreciation.

#86093 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

Dave have you driven a Tesla or is it the usual uneducated rhetoric you are spouting?

Got no interest in a car like that with no sound and runs like a sewing machine i’m still old school i’m afraid perhaps a dinosaur i do like the look of the tesler but its expensive in the higher range and as its not available on motability not much point in talking about it and there is electric cars on the scheme.I might consider one if it came onto the scheme in the future but i think there maybe part engine hybrids that like toyota regenerate the batteries so no need for charging i think the future it must happen as people do not want chargers outside there homes or having to find a charging point somewhere that may not be available that’s too unreliable.

#86094 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I read your previous comment Daveblue and no matter how I tried to interpret it at no time did it seem like the ramblings of an irate person, just an opinion about a car that as one person stated

“have you driven a Tesla or is it the usual uneducated rhetoric you are spouting?”

I wonder how many people on here actually own a Tesla or have even driven one yet they are all raving about how it’s the best car in the world!? It must be that they actually believe everything written about it because it’s not like anybody would put down in writing a biased opinion, perish the thought.

I have driven a Tesla 3 and X(I have some stupidly rich old friends who love to show off every new thing they buy) and I was underwhelmed with the build quality and some of the design seemed purely aimed at a wow factor rather than practicality, I did love the instant power though, it’s addictive on a whole other level.

He did show me the thing with the app that gets the car to drive to you but he said he’s only used it once as he nearly got knocked over in the car park he did it in and it takes way longer than just getting in.

Whilst electric driven vehicles will be the way forward powering them through batteries alone will not be the outcome and the technology involved in these electric cars will still be relevant but just powered by a different form of electricity generation, so keep them coming Elon and as soon as the economical/ecological alternative power generator becomes available mainstream I’m sure they will be slotted straight in to most EV’s.

This is of course just my opinion and it’s not written in anger or aimed as an insult to anyone.

#86096 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

lets face it the chances of a tesla coming on the scheme are slim but why shouldnt we discuss them and the tech they are introducing we discuss jags and landrovers why not teslas. lets face it most tech we have now in mainstream cars started off in things like formula one and nasa so who knows your ford focus may one day have al these toys, i doubt it will be cheap though.

electric cars in general are improving and slowly coming on the scheme personally the bmw i3 or the mg would do for me but i dont need a wheelchair or scooter not yet anyway. so i can understand they are not there yet for those that do.

#86102 Reply
    POPS

This discussion is valuable because it appears we shall all have an EV decision to make in the next few years.

The Tesla is a good example of what can be achieved even though it’s price is just out of reach of the Motability scheme at the moment. However, it’s almost guaranteed to retain far more value as a three year old  vehicle than other marques. This may make sense to Motability when it comes to reducing the overall lease costs.

#86105 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin there is no mythical power source round the corner just waiting to be incorporated into EV’s or ICE  cars, It just doesn’t exist. Battery powered cars and storage is the way forward and very few informed people would argue with that position. Of course there can, and will, be improvements, and as the technology develops the use of lithium and other mined product’s will reduce.

I have never driven a Tesla so I can’t say its the best car in the world but I do think its a very good car and by a mile the best BEV on the market. I do believe some are jumping on a poor build band wagon resulting from one or two negative reviews, but these must be compared to the very many positive reviews that are out there.

#86110 Reply
    Mossfinn

I’m don’t understand why people keep putting the onus and blame on Motobility for not having Tesla on the list.

We all know that Motobility business model is based on getting cars from manufacturers at large discounts and occasionally we get bigger cars at the end of their cycle such as Volvo XC60 which I was lucky enough to get 2016 as they were getting rid of stock just before the launch of the all new model.

Tesla are years behind in fulfilling orders to private customers so have no desire or need to supply Motobility at heavy discounts so the reality is that Tesla will not appear anytime in the foreseeable future

#86114 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Mossfin I fear for the scheme, the next few years will see a massive swing to EV’s and with demand outstripping supply we will be left with, at best, EV’s no one else wants. It is likely we will be left with petrol cars only and this will harm those who need a big car for their needs like an estate or SUV.

#86121 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I agree, the selection is reducing at an alarming rate and I can’t see what is coming on in the near future to fill the gap, if it is just full of small engine turbo petrol cars then I will have to buy used in future, I’m due to order in October but that depends on what happens with the AP’s in Q3, I may leave it until Q1 if neccessary but if nothing changes or they go up then my current scheme vehicle will be my last.

Personally I don’t need a 20k annual mileage allowance and have never been bothered about the badge on the bonnet so could go for a PCP as I’ve specced 2-3 up already that are reasonable but in all honesty I will probably get a 3 year old low mileage vehicle for way less than Motability offer them to us for and use my allowance to run that for 3 years + save for the next one.(basically what I’ve done for all the years before I joined the scheme)

#86123 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin i we have extended for another two years and are now 9 months into the 4th year. I was hoping to see a decent size BEV on the scheme or a hybrid with over 40 miles range but its not looking good.

To add to the problem we have always had diesel and we need a big car so do we jump just now while there are diesels on the scheme or stick it out for another year and cross our fingers?

#86143 Reply
    Philjb

Ive not driven a model 3 but I’ve driven a model X a few years ago, my gadget loving little brother has one and thought it was impressive but expensive, I don’t tend to look at build quality unless I’m buying, sadly they are way out of my price bracket since my disability got so severe.

He’s never had a single problem with it and never complained about poor build quality and he definitely would let everyone know if it had, especially because of what staggering amount he paid for it, he still loves showing people the “light show mode” I always think what’s the point? Surely it will mean you can’t get home?  lol

Anyway my spine couldn’t handle the torque everyday, so it would be wasted on me, I’d be in traction every time I pulled away to sharpish from the lights. lol

But as an old petrol head I like watching road test videos by monkey boy Chris Harris now on top gear, he’s driven pretty much every car worth driving and even he said the Tesla 3 was the future of everyday motor cars.

EV’s will have to be on the scheme one day as oil burning cars won’t be available, but today for example I’ve driven over 500 miles to my sons and back, in the morning I’ve got about a 100 mile drive to my daughters and I’ve used 3/4 of a tank of diesel. I won’t have to refuel and never once thought about running out of power or had to plan my journey via way of petrol stations, in fact most of our journey I never even saw one.

So any electric vehicle would have meant less time with my grandkids.

Thats why I’m not looking for an EV, I know one will be on my drive one day and hopefully that will be the day I just hope it’s not too soon.

#86159 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

Auto express gives the tesla a good right up and if it’s cheap to run i would like to try one but as to oil burning cars mainly diesels will no longer be on sale but i do think that classic cars will still be able to be used for many years still and i still think that until there’s a car that recharges itself which as i said before fuel cell tech which does without a silly charging point which is just a pain then i think petrol still has a long time yet.

#86163 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Dave fuel cells don’t “charge themselves” but if Bev’s hadn’t come along I would have gone for a hydrogen powered car no problem.

#86169 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Article

Under the skin: How Tesla is making cars think like humans

Never mind when, can self-driving cars ever even work at all? That’s probably the question in the minds of most people. But to work, fully autonomous cars will require the invention of a machine that has the cognitive abilities of a human.

The building block of a human nervous system is a neuron and millions of them form a neural network in the body’s central nervous system. To make autonomous cars a reality, computer scientists need to create artificial neural networks (ANNs) that can do the same job as a human’s biological neural network.

So assuming that really is achievable, the other thing an autonomous car needs is the ability to see, and this is where opinions in the industry are split. Until recently, conventional wisdom had it that as well as the cameras, radars and ultrasonic sensors cars already have for cruise control and advanced driver assistance systems, lidar (light detection and ranging) is essential. Lidar is like high-definition radar, using laser light instead of radio waves to scan a scene and create an accurate HD image of it.

One stumbling block has been the high cost of lidar sensors, which only two years ago cost more than £60,000. Lower-cost versions on the way should bring the price down to around £4000 but that’s still a lot for a single component. Not everyone believes lidar is even necessary or desirable, though, and both Tesla and research scientists at Cornell University have independently arrived at that conclusion.

Cornell found that processing by artificially intelligent (AI) computers can distort camera images viewed from the front. But by changing the perspective in the software to more of a bird’s-eye view, scientists were able to achieve a similar positioning accuracy to lidar using stereo cameras costing a few pounds, placed either side of the windscreen.

Tesla reasons that no human is equipped with laser projectors for eyes and that the secret lies in better understanding the way neural networks identify objects and how to teach them. Whereas a human can identify an object from a single image at a glance, what the computer sees is a matrix of numbers identifying the location and brightness of each pixel in an image.

Because of that, the neural network needs thousands of images to learn the identity of an object, each one labelled to identify it in any situation. Tesla says no chip has yet been produced specifically with neural networking and autonomous driving in mind, so it has spent the past three years designing one. The new computer can be retro-fitted and has been incorporated in new Teslas since March 2019. The Tesla fleet is already gathering the hundreds of thousands of images needed to train the neural network ‘brains’ in ‘shadow mode’ but without autonomous functions being turned on at this stage. Tesla boss Elon Musk expects to have a complete suite of self-driving software features installed in its cars this year and working robotaxis under test in 2020.

50 trillion operations per second

Tesla boffins say a self-driving car needs a neural networking computer capable of performing a minimum of 50 trillion operations per second (50 TOPS). By comparison, a human brain can manage about 10 TOPS. The new Tesla computer consumes no more than 100W of power so it could be retrofitted. Bosch and NVIDIA are developing a similar ‘brain’ for autonomous cars ready for 2020. It’s called the Bosch AI self-driving computer.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
Reply To: Ask Motability when the Tesla 3 is coming on the scheme.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: