Are you part of a Clan?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  joss 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #96235 Reply

brydo

About The Kiltmakery

Bit of fun here guys, the “off Topic” part of the forum certainly needs it.

Stick your surname into the alloyed slot and find out.

I am seemingly part of the MacFarlane clan.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #96243 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

I’m clanless! & clueless!

#96246 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Tried it out and it appears that I may be part of the Ogilvie Clan, with a name only a letter different from one of their clan names?

My son was married in DENMARK, dressed in full ‘Welsh’ tartan with Charlie Jacket, sporran, Dirk in sock and a watchain etc in the waistcoat, as was I and five others , and his Welsh tartan was one associated with our surname!

He purchased his outfit for a sum in excess of “ a few bottles of scotch, whereas the rest of us rented ours for a week, and I transported them in the full length roof rack of my XC70!

Failte ar Ais

#96248 Reply

Brydo

“Failte ar Ais”

Thank you Mike its good to be back.

I had no idea Welsh tartan existed, what else have you stolen from us lol.

#96249 Reply

Brydo

fwippers i`m sure you have Scottish blood in you, no one can be as bloody minded as you without being Scottish lol.

#96253 Reply

fwippers
    Participant

fwippers i`m sure you have Scottish blood in you, no one can be as bloody minded as you without being Scottish lol.

I do indeed, on my mothers side as I have a cousin tracing the family tree who visited the lowlands to seek out some records. I travelled frequently to Scotland in the 80’s by train from London. I found the people of Glasgow particularly friendy and I always looked forward to using the underground! Unlike London!!

#96256 Reply

joss
    Participant

Clan Maxwell

The name Maxwell originates from Maccus, a Norse chief and son of Undweyn, who gave his name to Maccuswell, a pool of the river Tweed near Kelso bridge. A grandson of Maccus, John Maxwell, became chamberlain of Scotland before dying in 1241, to be succeeded by his brother Aylmer.

From Aylmer sprang many branches of the family throughout the south-west of Scotland.

The Maxwell clan supported Robert the Bruce and fought at his side at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, under the clan chief of Eustace Maxwell. Herbert, the succeeding clan chief was knighted by James I for his services to the crown.

The Maxwell Lords followed a tradition of diplomacy and political intrigue – the fifth Lord was on friendly terms with Henry VII of England, while the seventh Lord was linked with a number of plots to restore Mary, Queen of Scots to her throne. After her execution he continued to seek support for a catholic revolution in Scotland, corresponding regularly with Philip of Spain.

The Maxwell family were created Earls of Nithsdale and the fifth earl, a staunch Jacobite, was captured at the Battle of Preston during the 1715 rising. He was taken to London, tried for treason and sentenced to death. On the eve of his execution he made a daring escape from the Tower of London, disguised as a serving woman. His wife assisted in this escape, and together they fled to the Continent, where they remained in exile.

Pollok House, the seat of the Maxwell Baronets of Pollok, is now of international importance, as it houses the world-famous Burrell Collection in its grounds.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#96258 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Can I be admitted to refugees corner? My paternal grandmother was half Scottish…

#96259 Reply

Brydo

Wigwam your in the same boat as fwippers, definitely Scottish blood coursing through your veins lol.

#96260 Reply

Brydo

Very informative Joss or should I say “my Lord” ?

#96261 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

If the amount of whisky I’ve drunk over the years has anything to do with it, I must be a bit scotch by now.

Oh and I courted a girl who lived in Motherwell in the distant past. Which, as I was living in London at the time, was strenuous..

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Wigwam.
    #96263 Reply

joss
    Participant

Very informative Joss or should I say “my Lord”

Born and bred I am Brydo.
    Fàilte air ais Brydo mo charaid

Wigwam, Scotch is a drink, not a country.  Do you swear allegiance to the Scottish flag of independence?

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#96265 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

No, Joss, just to the Scotch. Beyond that lies madness.

#96290 Reply

Brydo

Its good to be back Joss mo charaid.

Wigwam, Scottish girl from Motherwell, you lived in London…………………DADDY.

#96298 Reply

Winston

Think me and you might be related Brydo lol

#96301 Reply

mitch
    Participant

well apparently either ross,macdonald or stewart.

never could make up my mind.

#96302 Reply

Brydo

Maybe Winston that would be interesting ?

#96304 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

“Failte ar Ais” Thank you Mike its good to be back. I had no idea Welsh tartan existed, what else have you stolen from us lol.

Well, Brydo not exactly stolen, but there is of course –

Penderyn Welsh Whisky?

Rhiannon is retailing at £53 for a 70cl bottle.ABV 46%
    Grand Slam at £48 a bottle ABV 46%
    & the award winning Bryn Terfel at £59.38 a bottle ABV 41%

Iechyd da

#96339 Reply

joss
    Participant

We are clan member of the clan Mac Which Mobility Forum.

There seems to be an issue on the forum. I am getting emails of posts, however, they are not showing up on the forum. Nor can I see any page numbers.

Anyone else.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Are you part of a Clan?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: