are techy advances leaving people behind

• Creator
    Topic
  • #134475 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i post this from a purely personal view as when i was looking to change cars i struggled as many now have what i call touchy feely screens which i struggle to use and some required you to use a smart phone linked to them as they didnt have sat nav as standard etc.

i opted for the mini countryman as it uses knobs buttons and a big dially thing.

my phone is a blackberry and is used for phone calls and the odd text, it has no apps. and is turned off when in the car.

how long before i wont be able to get a car i can use ??

is it just me?

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #134478 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

i post this from a purely personal view as when i was looking to change cars i struggled as many now have what i call touchy feely screens which i struggle to use and some required you to use a smart phone linked to them as they didnt have sat nav as standard etc. i opted for the mini countryman as it uses knobs buttons and a big dially thing. my phone is a blackberry and is used for phone calls and the odd text, it has no apps. and is turned off when in the car. how long before i wont be able to get a car i can use ?? is it just me?

My Father is roughly the same when we received the X2 so I spent around 1.5hrs with him going through the in-car technology and educating him on them, making him more confident. He too doesn’t particularly like touchscreen and if he needs to, uses buttons and knobs. Do you have anybody who can sit down to educate you further on with the functions?

I think there may be a time in which you might have to upgrade your mobile phone to make it more compatible with the in car infotainment system.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#134480 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I am soo far behind, my 3 year old grandson just picks it up like second nature.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#134483 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the mini system is fine the big dial between the front seats controlls everything so i am ok, i picked it up in march so have 2yrs plus 2 years extension to go. what i am going to do in 4 years who knows, hopefully mini will keep the same system.

#134569 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I dread the day when one must have a mobile to operate bits of car. I do not have a mobile and hope never to need one! Like Mitch, I have a Mini (3-dr Cooper S) and there are just enough proper buttons and knobs to make it all work. Some things must be done on touchscreen but I never use them anyway and don’t understand what most of them are. (What are “notifications”, for example, and why should I need ’em.) I leave the main centre screen off because it’s far too bleepy and flashy and acts as a distraction from safe driving.

Next car will probably be an EV and it worries me that the switchgear will be touchscreen like the ID3. With buttons and knobs, one’s hands learn where they are and can bypass the Mk 1 human eyeball. Touch screens must be looked at and even then, for me, take two or three pokes to get message. Most unsafe…

#134570 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

welcome to the dark side tharg lol.

even the aircon in the countryman is a comforting dial one for each side. i was in my brothers car the other day and you had to scroll through 2 screens and then pres up/down arrows to get what you wanted. whereas in the mini its a simple twist of a dial. bliss and a lot faster.

#134574 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Too right, Mitch. Although even the Mini gives a driver too much to handle. Button on left stalk allows display of various fuel consumptions, speed averages, even water temperature. Again, they draw your eye away from road. I do not use them but others might. Similarly, when you switch driving modes, screens give you the option of changing mode configuration by poking screen. These, and many other functions, should be dissed off when the car is in motion. One of the worst things are those fiddly thumb-buttons on steering wheel which you can hit accidentally and make things go beep and buzz and even get some tart talking to you about mysterious electronic stuff. Wouldn’t mind a HUD though. It’s have to be a proper one, projected on screen not a poppy-uppy thing and with an off switch!

#134575 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Hark at you two. Bring back the Ford Cortina & the Austin Maxi eh! 😉

#134577 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

A 1963 Mini had a light switch (two positions), a wiper switch, a choke knob and a heater fan rheostat.  Plus an ignition switch, a horn button, a dip switch on the floor and a starter button by the driver’s seat.  That was pretty much it unless you could afford a radio.  Everything else was mechanical.

#134578 Reply
    Southamman

I’m 62 and I have to say, no. The more tech the better for me.

Tablets, TVs, computers, Nvidea Sheild,  Wi-fi extenders, I’m an early adopter of tech like Laser Disk, Trimphones, VHS, DVD, audio and CDAudio etc, etc,

but I think I’m not the norm. I built my first computer in the eighties and have worked with tech all my life.

Every generation moves tech forward, but leaves many peopke behind.

someone did design a big button, standard phone,Mobutu I don’t know where that went.

#134584 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Well I was 60 a couple of weeks ago & luckily for me, the missus’s son is Bill Gates junior! He’s always been a nerdy, geeky, tech wizard & works all day with high tech computing stuff and earns an absolute fortune and he’s not even 30 yet! He was building PC’s for himself & his mates when he was just 11 years old. Thanks to him, I am pretty okay with all the gizmos & gadgets that cars have these days – otherwise I’d be in the exact same boat as Mitch & Tharg!

#134590 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

My first car was a Morrie Minor. Switches were: choke; starter pull; lights; wipers. Heater on/off was under dash on bulkhead; dipswitch on floor. Like the Mini which followed, in-car entertainment was extra in form of a wireless (not radio) and if you were feeling really flash you could get a record player (45s only).

Have had both Cortinas and Maxis; don’t knock the latter. A brilliant, spacious, comfy family car, let down by crap engines, terrible production standards and management policy of under-equipping everything. (When the Japanese imports offered everything as standard; radios, electric windows; sound-proofing etc., the poor Maxi didn’t offer them at all.)

#134591 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i just dont see the need for half of it and as tharg says the touchy feely screens etc take too long and are distracting, to the extent i think dangerous. my music is on a usb i dont even switch the phone on in the car.

soon you wont be able to drive a car without a phone but how many have been killed because of some idiot messing with a phone whilst driving.

all i want to be able to do is change the temp etc without having to take my eyes off the road.

#134593 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

mine was a hillman imp, wireless an  extra that dimmed the headlights when you put it on at night.

#134596 Reply
    Southamman

Usb stick? You tech! Lol

im afraid everything today has to work lije an iPad,mtge generation buy these cars can’t operate anyway otger than that.

whikdt the cars have become more tech,mtge drivers are less necganical. They probably can’t find the bonnet catch let alone change the oil.

re the heating, get a xar with voice activation abd do it tgat way 😊

#134615 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I have no problems with the tech in cars today though I do add I’ve had a home PC since the Sinclair ZX Spectrum days way back when and although I love the ideal of being able to change settings in a car to suit ones personal choice I don’t like the recent ideals creeping into cars where the who dash is a touch screen.

Something’s when your driving need to be turned on or off or changed while driving and you can’t do that on a touch screen, well not safely anyway

The latest one I’ve seen is the press button gear changes on automatic gearboxes, so wrong in many ways IMO.

#134625 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Local doctors surgery texts website links to my home phone (landline), no idea why they think text means hypertext, poor education system allows this to happen.

Online articles use pics that are too small & that can only be viewed by those using toys (iPads).

Cretins want to facetime you whilst you’re driving the car. To them you must be available for their benefit at all times.

It goes on & on.

Sometimes you just have to stand your ground & become a luddite, like me installing this NHS Covid-19 app on the old smartphone which I leave at home….

However, I do enjoy changing the parameters of electronic modules that control the car using some tech wizardry, & I like to monitor the battery modules so I get them to the right temperature for optimal rapid charge speeds by “yo-yo-ing” which really annoys any fossil drivers following, but they can overtake if they want, right?

#134629 Reply
    garry
    Participant

Southamman with you being so techie maybe yow coult considex using a smell clecker 😂

#134640 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Southamman with you being so techie maybe yow coult considex using a smell clecker 😂

Just goes to show how out of date I am I thought it was all that Text talk which the daughter uses or just my head injury.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#134766 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Here’s something that will give you a smile for all those that dislike tech stuff in cars…

Vehicles Store A Ton Of Information And Police Are More Than Willing To Use It

You’ve been warned because they know what you did last Summer. 😁

#134810 Reply
    Clipped wings

Good point, ChrisK. I have a dual dashcam and am aware that it might be a double edged sword in the event that I ever cause an incident. Generally, I’m not bothered by monitoring and it encourages you to stick to the rules. I flew big Boeing’s for a living and the 777 could record @2500 parameters and send instant reports to big brother via satellite data link. The latest speed cameras and road monitoring cameras can do the same and some cars have built in data recorders as you say. In my day, no flight deck had touchscreens. Pretty useless in turbulence, distracting and lack precision. When driving, I hate them and delegate operation to my wife. I think that Vw’s latest climate and steering wheel touch sensitive buttons and sliders are ill conceived and very distracting. Glad my Allspace order has the same well designed buttons as the Touran. I use apple maps and can use Siri if needed. I don’t listen to music in the car. Vw charges extra to activate the voice control that is already fitted which is an outrage. The next big challenge is self driving automation which will require some education on the system limitations to prevent that occasional phrase captured on cockpit voice recorders “ what’s it doing now?” A friend hates the lane keeping assist on A/B roads and has to dive into menses to turn it off. Trying to avoid a pothole or deep puddle it tries to stop you steering off line. Agree with posters above. Keep it simple and avoid distractions.

#134820 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well said, Mr Wings. I too do not listen to music or, indeed, any radio at all in the car. Far too distracting and dangerous so to do. I get some very strange looks from people if I mention this, They seem to think there is something perverse about listening to the car and watching the road. Wish we could have a “no-in-car-entertainment” option from makers. Quite aside from added peace, think of the weight saved!

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: are techy advances leaving people behind
Your information: