Appointee Car when already have one?

• Creator
    Topic
    kfri
    Participant

Hi, looking at getting a mobility vehicle for my son who I’m an appointee for.

I’ve been reading on the site and it stated the vehicle will be in the name of the appointee. But I already have a mobility vehicle myself. Although it states you can have multiple vehicles in an household it does say you can only have one vehicle per person.

How does this work when your an appointee, as I already have a vehicle in my name and to then say he can’t have his own vehicle just because he needs an appointee can’t be right depriving him of this right.

Has anyone come across this situation before and had a vehicle yourself and also been able to be an appointee for another at the same time?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      des
      Participant

I’ve no Idea tbh but I’d imagine this may raise a big red flag with motabillity and they may decide that both cars if they agree to it may need black boxes fitted.

Two cars one driver doesn’t make sense financially tbh unless say you have a small city car because you work in the city and your son needs a big 4×4 because his hobbies are in the country side.

As I say, to me it doesn’t make sense financially. Maybe a wee bit more information and hopefully someone could help.

kfri
        Participant

Des,

No both cars wouldn’t be for me to drive. I have a Wav for my personal needs.

But as I’m appointee for my son as he doesn’t manage his own finances but at an age where he will be driving a car himself using his own PIP money. But as I’m his appointee it states the car has to be in my name.

But as I already have a mobility vehicle how can I be named on another mobility vehicle lease even though I won’t be the one who is driving it.

It would be his own motability car using his pip but as I’m his appointee it states has to be in the appointees name.

Hope that makes more sense.

des
          Participant

Ah right. There’s more folk on here who may know the definite answer without going down the route I’m suggesting, but I’m going to say it won’t be a problem. And if motabillity say no, get yourself some free independent advice as I’d say that would be discrimination. On a personal note, it’s not easy being an appointee so I wish you well and let us know how you get on.

kfri
            Participant

Thanks Des. Yes I can’t see why he can’t have his own vehicle just because the appointee has one.

Ive not come across any issues so far being an appointee until read about it being in my name and not his. Hopefully someone else might have been through something similar. But will message them Monday when they open again.

kezo
              Participant

I’m an appointee, the car will be in our sons name as he is the one claiming PIP, with you acting soley as his appointee.

I had a speeding ticket about 4 years ago and the notification letter come through in my daughter name, even though she was too young to drive at the time.

kfri
                Participant

Hi Kezo, did you also have a mobility car yourself already? It’s the wording on their site which concerns me as that says it is in the appointee name. I will try and add the section, that you would be responsible for payments but they are automatically taken before you get any remaining benefits anyway. But also to ensure the rules are followed. He’d be driving himself as 18 and hopefully passes soon but will have other nominated drivers as won’t be driving on his own.

It also says the Tax a lease is in the name of the appointee. Which with me already having my own mobility vehicle how can this be as you can only have your name on one lease at a time?

I’ve copied from the site as won’t let me attach.

Appointees are assigned by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Veterans UK and are solely responsible for collecting benefits for the disabled person, as well as deciding how they are used. The appointee is often a family member and may be needed in situations such as with disabled people under 16 years old, or those who are severely disabled. You can find more information on the DWP website.

An appointee can apply to join the Motability Scheme on a disabled person’s behalf and will then be legally responsible for the lease agreement. It’s the appointee’s responsibility to ensure that the Scheme car is used for the right purpose and that the disabled person has full access to it.

The tax is registered in the name of the appointee.

Thanks it’s all confusing when it’s not a straight forward situation.

kezo
                  Participant

I have my own private car as well as the Motability vehicle. I would give Motability a ring and run it by them to be on the safe side.

Is their any other family member who can be his appointee or if possible let your son do it on his own and you guide from the background?

Participant

i would think it would be ok once explained

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                      Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

kfri
                      Participant

Kezo, having your own car is fine as it’s not their vehicle. He’s not able to manage his own money or talk with people hence the need for an appointee.

struth – you would think so as the vehicle would technically be his just that he needs an appointee. There doesn’t seem to be any information about when an appointee is also a member.

kezo
                        Participant

Look at it as you would a bank account, it would be your sons account with his name as the account holder and you acting as an appointee.

Looking at my most recent Motabilty paperwork from the dealer, shows the car in my daughters name and me acting as her appointee, which explains when I had the NIP through for speeding it was in her name.

As I act as an appointee that comes from Motability states, I am acting as the appointee. Any phone calls to Motability, I’m always asked the claimants name.

Looking at it logically in your case there will be to different PIP reference’s (yours and your sons) to be entitled to a Motabilty car you need to be claiming an eligable benifit, which both you and your son do!

I can’t see a problem, but ringing or online chat with Motability explaing you are allready a Motability customer and want to be an appointee for your son, who also wants to join the scheme, with his own qualifing entitlement – will that be ok, which I’m sure it will but, more importantly will give you a guaranteed answer to put your mind at rest.

Phaedra
                          Participant

I went through it with Motability about 2 years ago. I have an Autistic 34yr old, I’ve been trying to get him to learn to drive so he has better options for shopping, getting around etc. for when I’m not around any longer.

As said above, the agreement and lease would be in his name, all I would be as his appointee is the conduit when talking to Motability and the dealer etc. to arrange it all.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kfri
                            Participant

Thank you Kezo it sounds so simple to us but isn’t clear online with how they state it’s in the appointees name and the car tax is also in the appointees name.

phaedra having a older son and it still being in his name sounds more promising as it would be pip he’s claiming and not dla. It’s just with myself already having a vehicle under the scheme. How did you find it with being awarded I assume mobility on learning needs more than physical needs? I wasn’t sure about getting a car I didn’t think he would drive given difficulties going out. But it’s like a safety bubble.

His pip goes into my account otherwise it would be gone and is then spent solely on him and his needs, as I have an account linked to it which I keep it separate. It is a worry if doing the right thing and if he then doesn’t get awarded again then left without a vehicle.

kezo
                              Participant

“You can have as many people in your home on the Motability Scheme as you want, as long as they’re all eligible to join the scheme”

To be eligible each member of the household, needs to be claiming on of the qualifing awards and have 12 months or more of their award left!

You can check elegibilty by following the link

https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/faqs/can-two-people-join/#:~:text=You%20can%20have%20as%20many%20people%20in%20your,You%20can%20only%20have%20one%20Scheme%20vehicle%20each.

kfri
                                Participant

Kezo, I’ve seen that but it also says you can only have one scheme vehicle each. But if the vehicle has to go in my name as I’m the appointee then wouldn’t that be classed as me having 2 vehicles in my name? As the tax would be in my name for the car and it mentions the lease on another page.

72 dudes
                                  Participant

Kezo, I’ve seen that but it also says you can only have one scheme vehicle each. But if the vehicle has to go in my name as I’m the appointee then wouldn’t that be classed as me having 2 vehicles in my name? As the tax would be in my name for the car and it mentions the lease on another page.

@kfri
                                    , Kezo and Phaedra have given you answers and opinions above, but you’re not going to get any further until you contact Motability tomorrow.

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                                    2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                                    2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Phaedra
                                    Participant

He has PIP high rate for mobility as changes to his routine, buses not coming on time, changes to bus routes, temporary bus stops etc. etc. can mean he’s he’d just be stand there all day and not ask anyone for help. He has other sensory isssues as well as a few other things.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
                                      Participant

You will only have one vehicle each, as there are two seperate PIP awards – you only act as appointee for your son but it will be “his” car, with his name on the V5, based on his PIP award and not yours.

To clear your own mind, you need to speak with Motability.

samsantos
                                        Participant

Hi! I have the answer for you, as I have recently been in the same position with no answers online, so I have contacted Motability and they have clarified this for me. I hope this helps

Great question Sam!

You have done the right thing double checking this with us.

Yes, you can be an appointee for more than one person and more than one car on the scheme. The application process will be identical to your Son on the scheme currently.

I can see you have an online account, something I want to make you aware of is that if you are an Appointee for more than one person, you are unable to use the online account for both leases. This is something we are working on resolving with our technical team.

Did you have any questions around the above?

Sophie • 9:37 AM

understand, l would have to create another account with a different email address, I’m assuming? It is unlikely we will go ahead, but it is best to have the information in case things change. Thank you for clarifying this for me

You • 9:39 AM • Sent

As both accounts will be linked to your name, it would mean the system will not accept under a different email address either. I’m sorry, this is something we are looking into at the moment and should be resolved soon.

Your most welcome, was there anything else I can help with?

Sophie • 9:41 AM

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.