Anyone with the Kona EV Ultimate Help me out?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165656 Reply
    James cheer

Hi decided im going to have another look at the Kona EV but I’m trying to find out if it has electric folding mirrors or if i can even fold it in manually I’ve looked on the online but i cant seem to find the answer ideally need to know as I park outside my partners who lives on a main road and have lost a few wing mirrors to cars that like to get a little to close.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165658 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

https://www.hyundai.com/content/dam/hyundai/in/en/data/connect-to-service/owners-manual/kona.pdf

Press “CTRL” + F, type “folding”.

And yes, it has, both automatic when the doors lock as well as manually.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#165659 Reply
    James cheer

Cheers rene gonna go have another look tomorrow seeing as the price hasn’t changed on the kona and it was one of my top 3 gutted the e-niro is so much more expensive considering most reviews saying it’s practically the same car underneath as well can only say q4 has disappointed me greatly

#165661 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Yeah, most of us in the same boat.

We’re gonna test drive the ID3 on sunday – good luck.

#165662 Reply
    James cheer

Test drove the id3 loved it only problem for me was the armrest they’re so stupid wish theyd just put a normal arm rest in there they feel to far back for me

#165663 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

That’s the main reason for the test drive, we’re not fond of those armrests either.

Especially with my “ghetto” driving position (right hand on the wheel, left elbow on the armrest, hand on the gear lever, slightly leaning to the left), i might need to adapt.

If necessary, i’ll adapt, if the rest of the car is to our liking.

#165664 Reply
    Keyla
    Blocked

it’s practically the same car underneath as well can only say q4 has disappointed me greatly https://nicelocal.co.uk/

#165707 Reply
    James cheer

Rene you just described my driving position perfectly aha did you not like the kona if you dont mid me asking?

#165708 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Yeah, most of us in the same boat. We’re gonna test drive the ID3 on sunday – good luck.

I will be interested to read your comments after the test drive. I have a shortlist of 2, The Kona Ultimate and ID.3 Tour pro. The lead time for the Kona is around 13-15 weeks, the ID.3 28-32. The Kona is cheaper and has a better interior, in my view and proper controls for climate etc, so I am leaning towards the Kona. An hours test drive, up to two if needed is available.

#165711 Reply
    struth
    Participant

ive been offered a test in a kona electric too. going next week to try it. hoping my knee holds up.  There were none up in Scotland until recently but they have a tester now. They said they expected deliveries in late november early dec for stock/sales etc.

ive never tried an electric before

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#165712 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

ive been offered a test in a kona electric too. going next week to try it. hoping my knee holds up. There were none up in Scotland until recently but they have a tester now. They said they expected deliveries in late november early dec for stock/sales etc. ive never tried an electric before

Likewise, so it will be an interesting experience. The reports on this forum from those who have gone electric have been very positive, so looking forward to it. I like the Kona interior, its a little more traditional compared with some of the other electric offerings, where just about everything is linked to the touch screen. And the 64Kwh version is very rapid too, real life suggests it will hit 62mph in under  7 seconds and get close to the 300 mile range. What is also appealing is the cars economy in urban settings. Good luck with the test drive. I will post on here once I have had mine.

#165730 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

6 months and over 15k miles in the 64kW Kona and can’t really fault it, I do wish that it remembered some settings like auto hold etc, but that’s just part of the start up process now.

It’s definitely the most economical EV out there, I’m averaging 5 miles/kw without trying too hard, you do have to re learn how to drive, or actually how to drive an EV, but it doesn’t take long.

No range anxiety either, I’ll happily set off on a 400 mile drive with the battery at 65%and just charge when I need a break after a couple of hours, the Kona loves fast charging between 20 and 70%, get to 70% and off you go with well over 200 more miles range.

I’ve driven most things in my life, from HGV’s to tanks and just about everything in between, and have to say it’s one of the most enjoyable vehicles I’ve driven, the grip is really good, the ride is smooth and the seats are both comfortable and supportive as well as hugely adjustable.  Performance is closer to 6 secs o-60, and you actually feel yourself pushed back in the seat, you can also drive it like you stole it, the paddles for regen almost work like dropping the gears down the box in a corner, and up to 80, the acceleration is impressive.

Really hope you like your test drive, I’m sure if you can live with the size, you’ll love the car.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#165750 Reply
    Rene

Well, the drive starts in an hour, i’ll be back with feedback about the armrests i’m sure.

The Kona is on and off our shortlist, contrary to everyone else it seems we really dislike the interior (looks too much like a Ford – and exterior, actually). The Hybrid Kona looks decent, the electric one has an incredibly ugly front in my opinion.

#165754 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i like the front of the bev kona. not sure why tho.

#165761 Reply
    Rene

Can’t argue with taste, if you like it, i’m not gonna argue that. We sadly don’t, and while i wouldn’t be “disgusted”, i’d just much prefer pretty much anything else lol. I do understand that objectively, it’s probably “the best” EV on the scheme overall, but i like even the ID3 interior better (despite the awful touch buttons and general “emptiness”). And i already dislike that. On the outside the ID3 is actually decent, so that’s yay.

#165783 Reply
    Rene

I’ll open a new thread in regards to the driving experience, there’s a bit to go through lol.

#165784 Reply
    struth
    Participant

I’ll open a new thread in regards to the driving experience, there’s a bit to go through lol.

no bother. look forward to it.

#165943 Reply
    struth
    Participant

well ive had my test drive of a kona ev.. i was fairly impressed by the drive and although the interior is mostly hard plastic, it was still ok where it counts. seats were very comfortable, with good support. with seat at lowest setting i get in and out without hurting and dont bang head. The regen braking is much easier to use than i thought and in sport mode its got a fair amount of pep too.

#165947 Reply
    Rene

After test driving the ID3 we wanted to check on PHEVs, so our next test drive is the Golf GTE – after that, the Kona. I actually am fine with hard plastics, as long as they’re decently textured and not somewhere where i constantly touch – which is sadly the case in the Kona (the “elbow rest” in the door).

One thing i realised already before driving the Kona: i don’t like that it’s front wheel drive. I generally actually am happy with front scratchers, but with that kind of power/torque (low down), every video where a guy puts his foot down in a Kona from a stand still, you hear the tyres screech.

Electric cars, imho, need rear wheel drive/all wheel drive. Preferably rear wheel drive – no torque steer (zero), usually better turning radius, and more traction. The ID3 goes like a horse stung by a bee in sport mode.

We’ll still test drive it, since everything i mentioned might actually not be a problem in the first place (apart from the FWD) – it’s just something that floats about in my mind.

#165950 Reply
    struth
    Participant

After test driving the ID3 we wanted to check on PHEVs, so our next test drive is the Golf GTE – after that, the Kona. I actually am fine with hard plastics, as long as they’re decently textured and not somewhere where i constantly touch – which is sadly the case in the Kona (the “elbow rest” in the door). One thing i realised already before driving the Kona: i don’t like that it’s front wheel drive. I generally actually am happy with front scratchers, but with that kind of power/torque (low down), every video where a guy puts his foot down in a Kona from a stand still, you hear the tyres screech. Electric cars, imho, need rear wheel drive/all wheel drive. Preferably rear wheel drive – no torque steer (zero), usually better turning radius, and more traction. The ID3 goes like a horse stung by a bee in sport mode. We’ll still test drive it, since everything i mentioned might actually not be a problem in the first place (apart from the FWD) – it’s just something that floats about in my mind.

i usually rest arm on windowsill so its usually hard anyway.  yup if your in sport mode and pulling away hard from still, it probably would as the trottle is easy to push and its pretty much instant power. in other 2 modes i dont think it would do that but never tried.

i did while running ar about 25, floor it in sport and it took off up to 45 in a blink. no engine roar tho lol

#165960 Reply
    Rene

Yeah the windowsill is hard plastic in the ID3 too. Not great, but in the end, i don’t have my arm there usually, so, you know.. meh. Not good, but not terrible either.

We stopped in the middle of the A-Road to do our acceleration test from 0-60 lol. But yeah, electric cars generally take off like mad. Very enjoyable, and kinda addictive. I know that my wife earlier said that she misses the ID3 and if we could, should get one right now.

#165996 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Electric cars, imho, need rear wheel drive/all wheel drive. Preferably rear wheel drive – no torque steer (zero), usually better turning radius, and more traction. The ID3 goes like a horse stung by a bee in sport mode.

Rene, you really should drive the Kona before making guess, as you found, the ID3 has already been a much better car than you expected.

The Kona now is fitted with decent tires, most videos are on horrible Nexans, now they fit Michelin tires, wheel spin is much reduced, but you can get it i’ll admit.

The handling though for  front wheel drive is really good, and the performance, well I’d happily watch you in the rear view mirror at the traffic lights if you were in the ID3.  Both great cars, and both with things that could be improved, but the Kona is seriously hard to beat on the scheme as everything is standard.

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Kona once you’ve actually driven it.

Previous Motability Cars

#166013 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Rene, I had to go in the car to check, but the armrests in the Kona are padded not hard plastic.

Previous Motability Cars

#166021 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Rene, you really should drive the Kona before making guess, as you found, the ID3 has already been a much better car than you expected. The Kona now is fitted with decent tires, most videos are on horrible Nexans, now they fit Michelin tires, wheel spin is much reduced, but you can get it i’ll admit. The handling though for front wheel drive is really good, and the performance, well I’d happily watch you in the rear view mirror at the traffic lights if you were in the ID3. Both great cars, and both with things that could be improved, but the Kona is seriously hard to beat on the scheme as everything is standard. Looking forward to hearing your views on the Kona once you’ve actually driven it.

Here. A guy driving them back to back. Same road, same conditions.

So, for starters, no. You’ll not see an ID3 in your rear view mirror. This was done in perfect conditions (good tarmac, sun shining), yet the Kona had to do it twice because the first time, it spun the wheels. So in perfect condition, you’ll see it right next to you. In any other situation, well.

Second, you’ll “admit” that you can get tyre slip? It’s rather obvious. We’re driving currently 235×19 Bridgestone Potenza, 150hp with DSG. I can’t put my foot down in the wet, dusty or gritty. I don’t need to drive a particular car to know that with considerably less contact patch (215×17) on the tyre, and considerably more power and even more torque, the tyres will slip. On top of that, my car has the “added benefit” of the engine weight sitting on top of the front axle, the Kona does not. In the Kona the “big weight” is in the centre. The reason the Kona has front wheel drive is simply because it’s not designed as an EV, it’s a petrol car converted to EV. Most, if not all EVs that are designed from the ground up are RWD or AWD. Enyaq, Ionic 5, EV6, Tesla, ID range etc pp. And the reason for that is simply that EVs don’t benefit from FWD like petrol cars do – there’s factually only downsides to FWD. Literally. Traction in snow? No benefit, because what makes FWD better in snow doesn’t apply to an EV (weight on the front axle – EVs have their weight in the centre). You get a larger turning radius, you get torque steer, you get less traction (or, maybe i should say “you’ll lose traction quicker due to torque”, probably more accurate), you get the same efficiency, and it’s not cheaper to put the motor and/or gearbox in the front like it is with ICE cars.

I understand that you like your car, and all the more power to you. We might like it too. That doesn’t change the fact that FWD sucks for EVs. Our biggest issue is the interior, which might be sorted after the test drive. We’re currently driving FWD (albeit 700-800kg lighter), so that wouldn’t be the biggest problem.

#166022 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Rene, I had to go in the car to check, but the armrests in the Kona are padded not hard plastic.

I actually am fine with hard plastics, as long as they’re decently textured and not somewhere where i constantly touch – which is sadly the case in the Kona (the “elbow rest” in the door).

That’s hard plastic.

#166023 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I actually am fine with hard plastics, as long as they’re decently textured and not somewhere where i constantly touch – which is sadly the case in the Kona (the “elbow rest” in the door).

That’s hard plastic.

well my definition of hard plastic is it’s solid. I actually have a Kona, and the bit you’re pointing to is definitely soft, but maybe you have some other definition of what hard and soft is?

Previous Motability Cars

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Anyone with the Kona EV Ultimate Help me out?
Your information: