Anyone thinking about diesel

• Creator
    Topic
  • #27917 Reply
    Joe London

Seen today, charges coming in, Its not clear if this is on new or older engines, or exactly when it will be implemented, but they are definitely coming..

Diesel cars could face bans in peak hours in ‘nine or ten’ cities across England
    Daily charges would discourage drivers from entering the city centres
    In 25 other towns, commercial diesel vehicles, including lorries, coaches and taxis, could face bans and charges
    Cities include Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton, Nottingham and Derby
    Taxes will be announced next week by Environment Secretary Andrea Leadsom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4372620/Diesel-drivers-charged-20-DAILY-UK.html

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #28175 Reply
    Anonymous

So in the past 10 years Politicians repeatedly tell us buy diesel cars as they are better for the environment. Diesel car sales are stronger than ever and now they seek to tax diesel car drivers for being pollutants! This just shows how your regular scheming politician thinks about different ways to tax the general public, tell us to buy something as it’s good and when enough people jump on board tell them it’s actually bad so we are going to have to tax you more! Before long we will be taxed on the amount of air we breathe.

#28176 Reply
    Peterxrm

What I would like to know is in this list of diesel vehicles, are  buses,lorrys,taxis even ambulances to be penalised

#28189 Reply
    Tim

Its an interesting point, in light of this happening, my question would be for those of us who may wish to change our diesel cars for a petrol, would motability allow us to re-order a new car and hand our diesel cars back early?

#28192 Reply
    Craig

I’m going back to a petrol, after having two diesel cars.

Getting a 1.4tsi VW Touran in next few weeks.

Did think of getting a diesel again, but my mileage is lower now.

#28193 Reply
    Vinnie

I’m going back to petrol as my mileage isn’t high enough to warrant diesel.

#28194 Reply
    POPS

I wouldn’t want to be the government minister who introduces diesel bans or taxes on city access.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/diesel-and-petrol-almost-equal-november-registration-figures

This Autocar article shows that the number of diesel and petrol new car registrations have been almost equal recently. Given that this government were advocating diesel engines until a year or two ago, it would be politically suicidal to rip off voters who have taken their advice over previous years.

The backlash would be considerable.

#28199 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

It is going to be older vehicles which are hit apart from if you buy an old black cab 🙂

A date for the introduction of the ultra low emission zone in London has been announced by the capital’s mayor.

From 8 April 2019, the most polluting cars, vans and motorbikes will have to pay £12.50 to drive through central London, while buses, coaches and HGVs will pay £100.

London’s ultra low emission zone (ULEZ):
    Covers the same area as the existing congestion zone and will be in addition to the congestion charge
    Applies to petrol vehicles that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards
    Will apply 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
    Will not apply to residents living in the zone until April 2022
    Black taxis are exempt
    Replaces the £10 T-Charge which will apply for older cars entering the capital from October

A  similar scheme for other UK cities will be unveiled soon.

However, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) have not confirmed when this will take place.

Iain

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by HoneyMonster.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#28205 Reply
    Joe London

Cheers for that HM, I just hope the dont hike the duty on diesel, in the interim.. lol, black cabs exempt, they are the worst!!!

#159113 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Diesel sales on the decline.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by fwippers. Reason: Unacceptable grammar!
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Anyone thinking about diesel
Your information: