Any Drone Fans out there?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #158598 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

I’ve always been fascinated with Drones and amazed with some of the footage they can film. I’ve came close to buying one on several occasions over the years but I’ve just never got round to buying one

That changed about 7 minutes ago

just wondered if there is any drone enthusiasts out there on the forum?

I absolutely love sunsets and could watch them for hours , I used to do a lot of outdoor activities ( in a previous life )  , Alas now  with mobility issues I’m no longer to get into the mountains etc  under my own steam

I’m a bit of recluse ( getting worse )  and it’s just me and the dog ( who is getting older ) against the World so I really need a hobby or interest

Motivation and procrastination is someting I really struggle with hence having never bought one up until now , but I’ve pulled the trigger and it arrives tomorrow , I figured with this mini heatwave we are having here in the West of Scotland just now  that it would be an ideal time to get a bit of practice in

Could still be sitting in its box a month from today but hopefully it’s someting I can get into

So, is there any members out there who have a drone

ps. I won’t be bringing Glasgow Airport to a standstill or trying to spy on the absolutely stunning girl who lives round the corner 🤣

When life hands you melons...,
    Make melonade!

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158603 Reply
    Georgie

If it gets you out of the house, Winston, then I say “Go for it!”  My only concern would be that when the darn thing inevitably crashes into a tree or spontaneously decided to plummet to the ground half a mile away, would you be able to retrieve it?

#158605 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Like Winston, I’m much attracted to the drone thing. As a photographer, the potential for different shots/footage is so tempting. However, I fear that controlling the things might be beyond me. Once tried doing radio-controlled model aircraft. Broke a lot of ’em. Never managed to get the hang of controlling/driving something which you are not actually sitting it. Have driven most things, from cars, busses, boats and hovercraft to light aircraft… no prob’s so long as I am in the driving seat. Any drone I tried would soon be a mass of component parts spread across field. 😕

#158622 Reply
    joss

@Winston For the same reasons and something to get me out of the house. I have looked into various Drones and costs. The one that comes out top for me is the Mavic 2 Pro. It is not cheap at £1,349 but you get top quality. Dji Guides buying guide is a very helpful web site.

Of course there are many other Drones available. As long as you do your research and comparisons you should be ok.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#158639 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

Thanks for the replies so far guys

I think my manual dexterity and ability to control and then master actually flying the drone should be ok, I’m no hardcore gamer but I do dabble from time to time and the games & controls get more and more complex all the time

although saying that I did try to throw a ball for my friends dog the other week and it went backwards ( the ball ) lol

So it is quite possible that it could noseplant and end in tears

I’ll obv try and be a bit cautious and sensible on my first few flights because if it does get stuck up a tree there is absolute zero chance of me trying to shimmy up the tree after it 🤣

thst would be like something from you’ve been framed lol

i went for the DJI mini 2 for a couple of reasons , main ones being it’s below the 250g weight that means I don’t have to register it, anything  above 250g has to be registered etc

It’s a fairly new model . It only came out last year so has a lot of upgraded tech for its size and cost

Again it’s size, weight and portability means it can be stuck in a normal back pack and easily carried & deployed  if I see anything interesting like Aliens Landing or a Meteor 🤣

the price , at around £550 for the fly more combo which has 3 batteries , some extra blades etc isn’t too painful lol

having watched hundreds of videos and reviews over the years of the DJI drones it really does make the perfect “beginner” drone while still be able to capture some stunning images & film

a lot of pros still carry this in their kit along side their much more expensive drones for some of the reasons mentioned above

the plan is…. If I do take to it and I am getting the use out of it then when the Mavic 3 Pro hits the shoves in the not too distant future then I would upgrade to that as that will surely have a lot of improvements over the Mavic 2 Pro

whereas if the one I’ve bought becomes a slightly expensive ornament that gathers dust then I really haven’t lost too much , as when the Mavic 3 comes out the resale value of the Mavic 2 will drop like the Crypto market just now ( but that’s another story lol )

I’m hoping I do get into it as it’s something you can do at your own leisure, you don’t have to interact with anyone really lol , the some of the footage you can capture is amazing! Everything always looks better from above eh?

So @Joss did you get a drone or are you still swithering?

Make melonade!

#158643 Reply
    ajn

Well winston well done for taking the plunge, anything of any interest that encourages the get up and have a go attitude I’ll back and encourage, like you say if it gets you out it’s got to be good..

Over the years I’ve loved all sorts of fishing, some rods simply a bit long,Heavy for casting including tackle, so I’ve sold some and bought a new light 6’6” light weight rod reel, meaning lighter tackle to cast..

Yes it’s a bit flimsy compared to what I used, but it got me out there last evening only a few hours with my Son, but out evening air fishing on the local river bank hhhhhmmmm…

Hope you enjoy getting out as much as flying the drone ..👍

#158670 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

Thanks mate! That’s nice to hear 👍🏻

good that you’ve managed a few hours fishing with your Son the last couple of nights  🎣

it makes such a difference having the option of being outside doing someting you enjoy without the fear of the Weather turning eh?

my 2 brothers ( one older , one younger ) were both into fishing 15/20 years ago and I did tag along a few times , I was hopeless though lol

I’ve good food issues 🤦🏻‍♂️ So didn’t touch anything they caught lol

i would end up sunbathing and having a few cans 🍻

only went a few times , but they went loads

Great hobby if that’s your thing 👌🏻

Make melonade!

#158681 Reply
    ajn

Winston I love watching some of the uploaded drone footage on y outube, amazing stuff, start of slowly though I guess, with plenty of space to practise..

#158682 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well done, Winston. I wish you the best of luck with your dronery. Please do post some snaps when you get ’em.

#158698 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

Thanks mate 👌🏻

yous could be waiting a while tho lol

Make melonade!

#158743 Reply
    ajn

Be great to see some pics winston  if possible as mentioned,just delete the ones where the trees are upside down 🤣🤣👍

#158750 Reply
    Winston
    Participant

That won’t leave many other ones lol

but I’ll try 🤞🏻

🤣

Make melonade!

#158752 Reply
    Brydo

Winston you would probably be the only thing flying at Glasgow Airport just now lol.

#158754 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

i went for the DJI mini 2 for a couple of reasons , main ones being it’s below the 250g weight that means I don’t have to register it, anything  above 250g has to be registered etc

Surprised nobody pointed that out.

This isn’t correct, you have to register as an operator for a Mini 2. The 250g rule only applies to toys – the Mini 2 isn’t specified as a toy.

So.. Yeah. Since (i think) Jan. 2021, Mini and Mini 2 have to be registered unless you physically remove the camera.

edit: to be clear, you don’t need a Flyer ID – but the operator ID.

#158794 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

We have a couple of larger drones (duly operator registered etc) for use on our farms.

Used mainly to locate fallen stock, or sheep that have wandered far from their hoof (their usual grazing areas). My brother-in-law used one last week to help navigate in a locum vet who got totally lost!

The local police have asked us to use them a couple of times to help locate walkers lost on the higher Pennine Way. Also, a couple of years ago, the fire brigade asked us to help them map out a large moorland blaze using the drone, but I think they have their own drones now.

So, they are quite useful tools for farmers and the emergency services etc.

#158798 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Used mainly to locate fallen stock, or sheep that have wandered far from their hoof (their usual grazing areas). My brother-in-law used one last week to help navigate in a locum vet who got totally lost!

As long as you don’t try to “herd” the sheeps with the drone, like Clarkson. 😀

#159054 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@Winston Have you got airborne yet? Do tell…

#159072 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Royal Navy were exercising off the coast here with underwater drones last week.  I can see a fishing opportunity…

#159091 Reply
    joss

May they are short of fish in officers mess, so sent out the drones to catch a few.🍽🦪🍣🍤

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Any Drone Fans out there?
Your information: