Alternatives to the motability scheme

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Persuader.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

hi,

As a learner driver, as i don’t receive the higher mobility of DLA therefore I’m not eligible for a motability scheme. I spoke to OSV that used to work with masis with their scheme. I don’t know where else i could turn to once i pass my driving test later in the spring. Is there alternatives to motability scheme?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Anonymous

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Also i have Asperger Syndrome and don’t need a WAV vehicle</p>

Persuader

Try just add fuel from Peugeot. Most major manufacturers have similar arrangements. Plus search for PCP deals online.

Insurance isn’t normally included but PCP can be low hassle alternatives.

Nothing comes close to the ease that Motability provides, though.

Robert

marmalade cars.

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/

They do cars on a PCP style deal, some include insurance, some offer reduced insurance. They are set up to deal with new young drivers. They advertise in the magazine you get after your theory test. Well worth a look.

JS
            Participant

Hi Karl

there are a lot of factors that will effect what options are available to you, your main hurdle not being able to join the scheme will be credit rating but if your fortunate to be able to overcome this and it’s a new car you want then my suggestion would be to cut out the middle man and go with a manufacturers pcp. Most offer 2 to 3 year leases with mileage between 8 & 10k, most now come with free recovery and offer full service plans for around £500. Depending on deposit but most manufacturers have reasonable vehicle  pcp for around £200PM. So for the Average Joe thier are alternatives to the scheme and possible within the same costings. However unlike Average Joe you will have to factor in road tax if not included in the 2nd year onwards. (I’m assuming you can claim 50% instead of 100%) and as a new driver higher insurance premiums, you don’t state if your a Young driver but if your sensible with insurance group choice of car and go with an insurance company that reduce premiums with black boxes fitted then reductions can be achieved.

Basically it is possible to budget off scheme within the same costings (Average Joe) others that maybe be subject to higher premiums and are higher mileage users will need to allow more but it’s reasonable to expect to be able to get a reasonable vehicle All in (-fuel) for £260-£320 Per month.

the advantages of going direct manufacturer pcp is no concern with returns etc if a fault you know it will go to a main dealer not a back street garage or the worry of if the private pcp company is dodgy or goes bust, some manufacturers now offer if your not taking advantage of the final payment option and wish to renew a new lease the returned car forms part of the new deposit reducing your  costs further.

Good info and advice on PCP’s can be found here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/personal-contract-purchase/

Abercol
              Participant

+1 ^^Wot he said.

Our son got a Skoda Citigo Elegance (now SE-L) in bright green as his first car in 2014, £1200 deposit, 3 year pcp deal with 15,000 miles per annum, was going to be £135 a month, but he asked for the monthly payment to be increased so that at the end of the 3 years the car was his without having the final balloon payment. Came to £201 a month. Didn’t include servicing, road tax was nil, but now I think you have to pay something.

This was during a manufacturers 0% interest deal – worth seeking out as it was cheaper to put him in a new car than buy the 2 yr old Fabia we had gone there to get originally. We took pity on him and arranged with the dealer to upgrade the stereo to 4 – Yes 4, speakers. And the engine from 60 to 75bhp. Insurance unchanged.

He still has it, its coming up to 5 years old at 68k miles and running perfectly. Only issue was a broken washer bottle pump, fixed under warranty. He wants something bigger now, so his new Dacia Duster Prestige in burnt orange with all the toys is arriving next month. 4 year purchase, not PCP, servicing included, £246 a month inc the £3000 trade in of his Citigo.

His insurance as a 19 yer old new driver, he went with Drive Like A Girl (catchy name for a firm!) who fitted a black box & charged £590 for the first year. He was a good driver so they gave him back £80. He moved away from them at year 3 and no longer has a box fitted.

I drove the Citigo pretty often, its a surprisingly “grown up” experience, felt really solid and comfortable & went well in traffic.

So it is possible to get a car and pay all of the payments for less than the scheme.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Persuader

Here’s an example of what is available:-

Volkswagen Passat Passat Saloon 1.5 TSI EVO 150 GT 4dr (Panoramic Roof) 2 years 8k per annum

Initial Rental £2,400.00 inc VAT

23 Months @ £142.79 inc VAT per Month
                  Annual Mileage 8,000

Admin Fee £180.00 inc VAT

Urano grey

Central Vehicle Leasing

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.