All you lucky EV owners

• Creator
    Topic
  • #165102 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Sitting with a gas guzzler in the front drive wishing i had an EV.

Queues at every garage in the area most with only diesel to sell.

Oh you lucky lucky EV drivers as if you weren’t lucky enough to begin with things have just got a hell of a lot better.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165104 Reply
    oscarmax

Not an EV owner but a PHEV user just driven past Tesco plus several roads blocked on junctions outside petrol stations, I am in EV mode shame really

#165114 Reply
    Jeff Schofield

Haha yes my family asked me I was smug about it.. But no not really but definitely not stressed about it. On the grander scale it might encourage more people to get an EV.

#165141 Reply
    Warkman

I wouldn’t be smug if I was an EV driver, Karma’s a bxxxh,

in the future, when electricity is scarce, and the cost per kw rises, when the govt to keep industry going, resolves yiu can only charge at night, when there are queues at the charging points because only 50% are working, or allowed to work at 50kws only to safeguard electricity supply, who will be laughing then?

#165146 Reply
    brydo

Warkman in case you haven’t noticed “in the future” you, me and all of us will be driving EV’s the government has said it will be, so there will be no choice except maybe EV or horse and cart.

#165151 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The government has said, Brydo? It’s said no such thing, of course. And even if it had, when was the last time you trusted what the government said?

#165152 Reply
    Ian

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-historic-step-towards-net-zero-with-end-of-sale-of-new-petrol-and-diesel-cars-by-2030

The government has said that sales of new petrol and diesel cars will cease in 2030. Some hybrids allowed until 2035 and then they will also be toast.

#165153 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I think we all know that, Ian.

A. It may not happen by those dates if the infrastructure isn’t in place.

B. What about all the petrol and diesel cars sold before those dates?  Do you think they’ll all disappear overnight?

Brydo said we’d all be driving EVs. I was pointing out that we won’t.

#165154 Reply
    Ian

Thanks for agreeing that the governments intention is to temove petrol and diesel cars from sale thus drying up the pipeline of supply.

#165157 Reply
    Brydo

“Oh yes you will”, (is this a pantomime lol) how many car manufacturers have said they will be supplying EVs only by 2030 and by 2035 all plug in hybrid will be gone also.

I know you like an arguement wigwam but there is no arguement really, Motability, with huge tax breaks from the government, will be pressured into providing more EVs than ICE cars long before 2030. So if people want to use motability the choice of going ICE will be more and more difficult as years go by.

The main reason we will all be driving EVs is that they are far better than ICE in every department.

#165159 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

B. What about all the petrol and diesel cars sold before those dates?  Do you think they’ll all disappear overnight?

Nope. But they won’t be allowed into city centres (some cities already started), and if you think that they won’t try to force you by increasing fuel duties and making it generally a chore to run an ICE car, you’re delusional.

The main reason we will all be driving EVs is that they are far better than ICE in every department.

As delusional as this. I’d prefer driving an EV to our current ICE car, but to argue that they’re “far better in every department” is just bollocks. They’re not. As in, factually, and bloody obviously. Once you run 1000 miles on one charge (not uncommon for certain diesels), we talk. Until then, you’re not making yourself nor EVs look good by making dishonest arguments.

#165170 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No arguement, Brydo. I will still be driving my MX5 and plenty of people will still be driving ICE cars as long as they can get the fuel.

#165177 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

“As long as they can get fuel”absolutely wigwam and at a decent price and quality as not many EV stations will have a petrol or diesel pump.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Brydo.

#165181 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Maybe we’ll go back to buying it at the chemist.

#165209 Reply
    bfoandc

There is one aspect that is often forgotten in the debate over EVs, which is the potential for independence they bring with them. Many homes (and numbers of industrial sites) already produce power which can be sold to the National Grid. There are already EV chargers which can use solar panel output and this will only increase over time.
    It is, at least in theory, possible to harvest enough energy to power an EV in many homes. Then the car battery could be used as a ‘back-up’ power source for the home. If enough people were using their own power then the opportunity for Govt. taxing them would shrink.
    Imagine being able to power your home and car with your own home – produced electricity.

#165210 Reply
    Capuchin

That capacity is already included in the Ioniq 5 @bfoandc – Power your house from the car at expensive times!

#165213 Reply
    brydo

V2G (vehicle to grid/home chargers) its the ONLY way forward.

#165214 Reply
    brydo

And yes you could plug an extension cable into an Ioniq 5 and run a few appliances for days.

#165216 Reply
    Lets Get Organised

New Motability EV car can charge empty to full in 10 mins and has a range of 423 miles although the AP is quite high

#165217 Reply
    bfoandc

I dimly recall reading something about Nissan looking at the same idea and I’d guess most car manufacturers will be doing the same. Understanding the implications of widespread EV adoption are still at an early stage. There is no doubt that Governments will have to replace the lost fossil-fuel tax somehow, but loading it onto domestic electricity accounts will only be a greater encouragement for consumers to look at non grid options. That was something that couldn’t be done with oil based fuels.

#165218 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Nissan already have a V2G charger but it only works with the Leaf.

#165221 Reply
    Ian

I have solar power and sometimes can charge car up with it…..its not easy to do though because the sun needs to be shining and the car needs to available for charging.

My solar pv on its best day can produce 50kw of electricity, however for 200 days a year it will produce less than 20kw, the I3s battery is 42kw so I don”t count on solar panels for charging. That said a cheap overnight tariff plus solar delivers cheap fuel.

One other consideration for v2g is would you want to risk your 40-50k ev for a few £’s of electricity going into home? Battery life, vehicle warranty etc?

#165222 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Don’t hold your breath on V2G Brydo. It’s not coming anytime soon…

Vehicle-to-grid inches closer to reality, but barriers remain

#165226 Reply
    Brydo

It’s already here wigwam but just not affordable at this point but it will come.

#165242 Reply
    Warkman

It may be that new pure ICE cars will be banned from 2025, but PHEVS have a few more years on top of tgat IF the government keeps to their ridiculous timeline.

plus, there are literally millions of ICE cars which will carry on much longer than even 2030.

add to that hydrogen is coming on stream, plus other new systems being worked upon.

for short journeys, BEVs are good (if you ignore the residual environmental effects such as power stations, rare metals use etc, the damaged caused to motorways and roads by increasing the GVW of average vars, the cost of repairs to motorways when BEVs catch fire)

but. Until you can get the same mileage out of a BEV as an ICE car I.e. at around 5-0 miles people who carry out longer journeys will stick to ice cars as long as possible.

the future of personal transportation is yet to be mapped out, electric has been a knee jerk reaction.

#165244 Reply
    Warkman

I don’t see ice fuel being difficult to get for at least 40 years yet. There are 64 million ice cars currently in the U.K. BEV is around 5% of that figure

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: All you lucky EV owners
Your information: