All in-car mobile phone use to be banned, unless it’s ‘hands-free’

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

The government is seeking to make any use of a handheld smartphone illegal while driving. The move closes a loophole and should make it easier for police to prosecute drivers using their mobile phones at the wheel.

The new law will mean any driver caught using smartphone functions such as the camera, music streaming or games will be liable for a £200 fine and six points on their licence.

It’s already against the law to text or make calls except in an emergency, although it is perfectly OK to use a smartphone connected to a hands-free system for calls, or for navigation when it’s rigidly attached to a windscreen or dashboard mount.

A change to the Highway Code will spell out the law, and make it clear that it’s illegal for drivers to use any smartphone functions even when stationary at traffic lights or in jams.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: “Too many deaths and injuries occur whilst mobile phones are being held.

“By making it easier to prosecute people illegally using their phone at the wheel, we are ensuring the law is brought into the 21st Century while further protecting all road users.

“While our roads remain among the safest in the world, we will continue working tirelessly to make them safer, including through our award-winning THINK! campaign, which challenges social norms among high-risk drivers.”

Interestingly, one exemption the government does plan to include is the ability to use a phone for making payments from behind the wheel – so you can pay toll or parking charges, or even pick up your drive-thru burgers without risking prosecution.

The new rules are being implemented on the back of a public consultation that found 81 per cent of people supported the total ban. A recent survey found that it’s mainly younger drivers who use handheld devices at the wheel.

“Picking up a mobile phone whilst driving is dangerous and we welcome this change to the law”, said AA president Ed King.

“It helps to clarify what is acceptable when using them hands-free when driving and what poses a threat.

“By making mobile phone use as socially unacceptable as drink driving, we are taking big steps to make our roads safer. For years, the AA has campaigned hard and helped educate drivers to the dangers from bad mobile phone use.

“To help ensure drivers get the message, we also need more cops in cars to help catch and deter those still tempted to pick up.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ajn

Well that will put a stop to that then..

Sorted

Participant

i think if you pull into a layby, or are parked and have secured car it with handbrake etc, it should be safe to use one without switching off engine etc.

otherwise im in agreement. i see they are allowing you to pay for your big mac tho; some tories must like em lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
          Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Rene

I actually thought this was already the law, and quite obvious.

Participant

actually i thought it was too…

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Wigwam

I presume it’s still ok to light a fag and drink a cup of coffee while driving to work though..

ajn

Or eat a double sausage/egg with with cheese McDs breakfast, Wigwam

Paul

Thought that phone law was already in place and totally agree with it.

Yet car makers insist on making hand gesture slide controls,infotainment systems making simpliest of tasks like changing heating more difficult and longer times for hamds off wheel.etc etc..Some cars cause drivers to be distracted .

ChrisK
                    Participant

I presume it’s still ok to light a fag and drink a cup of coffee while driving to work though..

I had one of those “just missed me” moments yesterday with someone with a mug of tea or coffee in their face.

mitch
                      Participant

bring back buttons and knobs

Rene

Plenty of knobs on the road, no need for more.

Harb
                          Participant

Presumably is fine too use them if connected to the infotainment centre via Android auto/Apple car though? So it’s all a bit silly….

Wigwam
                            Participant

Push-to-talk hand held two way radios are perfectly legal to use at the wheel.

Tharg
                              Participant

Totally agree. Thought it was already in law. Glad it is to happen. Damn silly that car makers are giving us touch-screens which must be used for many, many driving functions. Said screens are much more dangerous than handys being out of line-of-sight for driving and often needing a number of different touches, some on steering wheel and elsewhere, to perform stuff.

Glos Guy
                                Participant

The current offence of careless driving (undue care and attention) allows prosecution for all of these things already, but it is obviously felt that it needs to be spelled out. Whenever I see a vehicle veering out of lane or drifting between the lines, the majority of the time it’s someone doing something with their mobile phone or lighting a fag (which should also be made illegal whilst driving IMHO).

Worst offenders, I’m sorry to say, are lorry drivers. There’s never a week that goes by that I don’t see an HGV drifting partially into the hard shoulder of the motorway. It’s no wonder that so many people get killed in hard shoulders. The worst example of appalling HGV driving that I saw was one that was veering in and out of the hard shoulder and when I overtook him, expecting to see him on his phone, he had a newspaper placed over the steering wheel!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.