Aldi EV charger parking space 🙄

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170893 Reply
    ajn

Out and bout this morning noticed this, 17 plate parked in the EV charging space..

Is this illegal or just inconsiderate …

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170894 Reply
    ajn

#170895 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Appears to be pretty stupid. But I try not to judge. There may be a good reason it’s there. And no harm done as there looks to be another space free.  As for illegal? No.

#170896 Reply
    Tim

Probably just taking a lidl break.

#170897 Reply
    ajn

Just thought if it’s in the space makes sense to be plugged in, found out else where there’s a name called ICEing,

Seems people just parking In bays no matter how their cars are powered, or simply not using the charger..

#170898 Reply
    ajn

#170899 Reply
    ajn

Beware of the ICEers

#170900 Reply
    ajn

Guess I could get as bad as the ignorance towards  blue badge parking bays..

lots of other places were available at the Lidl car park so you might have a point, stupid, wigwam…

#170908 Reply
    ajn

*it      Not I 😑

#170910 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

Not that it matters but is that an Audi A3 phev? Basically Audi’s version of the golf gte. I’m trying to be positive and hope they might have had a problem with charging and gone into the shop to ask for help.

Also, people park in blue badge bays without a badge because they’re lazy but are EV chargers generally close to the door in supermarkets? I can’t say ive really noticed. Wouldn’t make sense for someone to park there if there were loads of spaces closer to the door

#170911 Reply
    ajn

Just think it’s strange to park there, walk of not using it, however I think you’re right it could be knackered, so they went for advice…

Guess it dont matter at all really 😁

#170912 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

It does matter if someone is taking that space with no intention of charging.

I was just wondering if that car even has the ability to be charged?

I know someone who got a note on her car for parking her Ford Fiesta in an electric charge bay. The note was from the car park people I think. I hope more is done to prevent people parking in those bays for no reason

#170913 Reply
    James

I don’t have an ev but it does annoy me when you see people parked in charging bays when they shouldn’t be.

We have a local Tesla idiot who always parks in a charging bay but never plugs in, they must think because they have an ev it’s there bay.

I also think what would people say if you went to a petrol station and every pump had an ev parked against it, how would we get fuel?

#170915 Reply
    struth
    Participant

it does say P for park, not C for charge

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#170916 Reply
    James

What difference does that make?

#170919 Reply
    Rene

And the P is surrounded by a painted green charging cable, that’s a weird argument. It’s quite obvious that they’re charging bays and not just a parking spot that happens to have an optional charger.

It’s douchey.

#170922 Reply
    Waltersoprano1
    Participant

No doubt the charger will be broke.

could be a staff members car to stop people attempting to use it

#170925 Reply
    Ian

One thing I picked up on another forum about this that I found interesting was that if the bay was ‘iced’ preventing an ev charging that you suggest to the car driver that there maybe cameras and they could get a ticket.

Would maybe get them to think twice about their future parking…..

#170936 Reply
    Peter

Some people just don’t give a flying bleep and will park anywhere.  They have no shame or consideration for others.  My local Tesco has a crossing right next to two cash dispenser machines.  Where do the ignorant bleeps park to use the cashpoint…yep, on the crossing!

I just have a nice fantasy about their cars being lifted and crushed, preferably with them in it 🙂

#170945 Reply
    Aygo1991
    Participant

Not that it matters but is that an Audi A3 phev? Basically Audi’s version of the golf gte. I’m trying to be positive and hope they might have had a problem with charging and gone into the shop to ask for help. Also, people park in blue badge bays without a badge because they’re lazy but are EV chargers generally close to the door in supermarkets? I can’t say ive really noticed. Wouldn’t make sense for someone to park there if there were loads of spaces closer to the door

That’s correct, it’s an A3 e-tron. I’ve noticed that in my local Asda, Tesco, and Waitrose that PHEV and EV drivers typically park in designated EV parking spaces without charging. Upon any complaints of non charging or the space is ICE’d, customer service will announce and ask for the car to be removed.

Motability cars:

2015 RR Evoque AWD 2.0 TD4 SE Tech - written off
    2017 Toyota CH-R 1.2T Dynamic CVT AWD - written off
    2019 BMW X2 2.0L Sport

#170946 Reply
    ajn

As mentioned above there was another clear space anyway..

I just thought it more to be a charging point, rather than a parking space, yet the huge P must mean parking allowed..

Can’t see it causing any issues, anyone looking to charge will have to wait..

#170948 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Can’t see it causing any issues, anyone looking to charge will have to wait..

The exact same argument can be made for disabled bays in supermarkets. If a douchebag with his deranged rover blocks one of two disabled spots, and he tells you “aight mate, just gonna pop in and out quick, if anyone lookin’ to park ‘ere, he’ll have to wait mate”, you’re okay with that?

You could argue that it’s morally wrong, sure. It’s entirely legal though, there’s no law preventing a douche canoe from parking his chelsea tractor in a (supermarket, not council owned, that’s different) disabled bay. Supermarket car parks are privately owned spaces, and a blue badge does not apply in privately owned spaces.

I know i get rather annoyed at people who needlessly park in disabled bays – even if there’s plenty of other bays free. If i had an EV, the same rule would apply.

Now i will say that my opinion on PHEVs in (fast) charging bays changed a bit. I still think it’s technically fine, but is probably not advisable. Now that we have a PHEV on order, i changed my mind on that and we’ll charge at available slow chargers (if it’s worth the hassle, if we just pop in for 10 minutes there’s no point anyway), but won’t block a fast charger that we can’t utilise anyway.

Btw, electric cars park too, so a P clearly circled by a charging cable might mean something different than just “park here”. The only person who can tell you whether or not you’d get a ticket there is Aldi though, it does need to be signed out visibly that non-EVs aren’t allowed to park there. Which is just flippin’ common sense, lets be real for a second now.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#170951 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

My local Tesco has a crossing right next to two cash dispenser machines. Where do the ignorant bleeps park to use the cashpoint…yep, on the crossing!

Cashpoint cripples

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#170952 Reply
    ajn

Ok can we just have a recap, this car in the pic, I’m going to admit

1.      I didn’t realise that a car made in 2017 could be charged anyway, I’m wrong and that car can, I think..

2.    I thought the green P with the cable image, indicates Park only if charging in that bay, Im wrong as it’s a parking space provided for EV drivers..

3.  I didn’t take into consideration the charger is broken like many reported, however the shop only opened this year 2021, so hopefully they are more reliable than that..

4.  I thought it could cause a problem as some one might want to charge quickly and can’t as the bay is ICE’d by a non charging parked car, the space next to can be used, if it’s working that is..

This was early Sunday morning so no big deal I guess, However it’s going to get busier in the run up to Xmas..

I think the car shouldn’t be parked there if  not charging,  however I’m wrong again…

#170953 Reply
    ajn

this video is 4 years old however explains a lot, most info at the end..

#170958 Reply
    Tim

160 potential parking spots to choose from with an EV is simply wonderful. This would truly enable the EV future. Thanks for sharing the video.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Aldi EV charger parking space 🙄
Your information: