Adding alloy wheels – arghhhhhh

• Creator
    Topic
  • #66242 Reply
    Dobbo212
    Participant

I cannot believe the predicament we are in due to our own honesty with Motability.

Ordered a lovely VW Shuttle 150 DSG LWB SE model. Added on things like multi function steering wheel; cruise control etc etc. Anyway – I thought an SE model would come with alloys but found out that it didn’t.

Now these alloys are 17″ and are and called Davenport or Devenport. They come as standard on most T32 Shuttle’s but for some reason ours comes with steel wheels.

Anyway – a quick search online and there are loads of these alloys brand new for sale that customers have got with their new Transporters and immediately decided to change them. My plan was to purchase some of these and put them on and then put the steel wheels back on when I hand the car back over.

I went on the Motability website and was advised to contact them regarding adding extras on to the vehicle. They tried to fob me off with the alloys would effect the geometry of the vehicle and would invalidate the insurance and warranty. I informed them that the alloys were in fact standard VW alloys for the T32 and the tyres were the same size as the one’s on the steel wheels. After a day or so they got back to me and said they had to be ordered at time of purchase from the dealer and they had to fit them.

The problem is that as an option they are approx. £1500 whereas I can buy them ‘brand new’ for £400-£500.

Really disappointed but wanted to know if anyone had experience of something similar?

I could see their point if I was looking to add some 20″ split rims for example but not for the T32 standard  alloys.

Thanks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #66245 Reply
    Ben Stewart

That’s ridiculous but unfortunately is the way for many fleet vehicles.

I used to manage our fleet vehicles prior to leaving to care for daughter and you quite literally can’t do anything to them outside of the t&C’s you sign into.

This case is ridiculous though I know the alloys you mean and as you state they are exact same wheel and tyre size so in now way are changing the vehicle geometry in fact the transporter requires nothing do it at all up to 18″ after that then things get a bit different.

#66246 Reply
    Dobbo212
    Participant

Hi Ben,

I know – I said to the guy that I wasn’t planning on putting 20″ wheels on and doing drifts around McDonald’s Car Park! The Motability account manager said his decision was final and he was sending a letter out to the effect this week – my option then is the ombudsman.

It just seems totally ridiculous – if it was just a couple of hundred pounds then fair enough but £1,000 for exactly the same alloys/tyres just doesn’t sit right with me.

I was advised by a friend who works in the motor trade to just put them on anyway – he reckoned that as they are standard and the tyre sizes are the same then who would ever know.

I didn’t ask about wheel trims – I dread to think if they would also affect the geometry!!

#66247 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes just put them on I would

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#66248 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Sorry harsh as it seems that is bad advice it is Mobility’s vehicle you will invalidate your contract regarding insurance it will be regarded as a modification.

At the end of the day it is up to you but their word is final, if you have an accident well you know the answer to that.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Oscarmax.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#66250 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Some Seat Leon FR owners on here have had their engine remapped to go faster that’s also affects your insurance but they take that chance ! I would take that chance we all think different

#66252 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

T32 is a 3.2 tonne specification as such the alloy have to meet that specification, as regards inset or offset again alloys of a T25 may differ.

If you breach the terms of your mobility contract they could terminate your contract and the worse case scenario forfeit your AP and banned from the scheme.

As regards unauthorised modifications both mobility and their insurance company could hold you liable to any damage incurred?

I find hard to believe a mobility customer on a open forum monitored by mobility can openly advise someone to break and term of their agreement plus encourage them to break the law

unfortunately if you choose to go down the alloy wheel route please follow mobility’s advice

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#66253 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’m sorry I take back what I said could the Seat FR owners please get their engines unmapped tomorrow thankyou

#66254 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Good man to be honest the Seat Leon FR is pretty quick as standard.

#66255 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

It is indeed 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds but oscarmax there has been members on here had them remapped Dave was one

#66257 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

When you say remap, do you mean a permanent remap or something like Bluefin/TDI Tuning Box, et cetera, et cetera?

#66258 Reply
    POPS

We’ve had long and heated  discussions on here in the past about re mapping, fitting non standard wheels, lowering suspension etc, and this Forum has consistently advised that any alterations from standard without the explicit approval of Motability and RSA insurance would mean that you had breached your lease contract, as well as rendering your insurance cover null and void.

You might think such alterations are trivial and would not be spotted, but in the event of an accident unauthorised alterations would be quickly identified.

#66260 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

There are some modifications that would not be easily spotted unless they were specifically looking for them, just as remapping the ECU that has been mentioned, if there was cause to check the ECU they would find it, but otherwise they would not, that applies to many different types of alterations also. It would invalidate the insurance and the Motability contract that is for sure, so why risk it.

#66261 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Dave said not a permanent remap on his 2 litre diesel Seat FR if I remember

#66263 Reply
    Masquerade
    Participant

Much easier to undo, something like Bluefin. To be fair to Dave, they improve performance and fuel efficiency such remaps and cause no harm to the vehicle if done correctly. Just a matter of invalidating the contract if ever found out.

#66264 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

For most a disability is for life, a lease is for 3-5 years.

Is it really worth risk being kicked off the scheme for non-compliance?

In this case, i would take it as a lesson learnt and next time to double check the spec sheet – it happens to us all, something is either extra or not there as expected.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#66267 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

That  pretty impressive by any standards especially when you taken into consideration fuel consumption, emissions and reliability.

My speed days are over these days, but it is nice mobility provide a range of car for all of us. I must admit I did fancy the transport shuttle with the twin turbo, would have perfect to tow my caravan and accommodate my large mobility scooter.

I must admit £1500 extra for alloys seems very expensive, does the transporter shuttle come with any wheel trims at?

#66277 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’m happy with my Golfs 0 to 60 in 9 seconds at 52 I’m not a youngster any more I like a superb ride with radio 2 on the dab stereo

#66278 Reply
    Gary

I personally would not have asked if I could fit them and as long as they are genuine vw alloys ie right size and style as you would upgrade to who would know I would of just played dum and said they where like that when I got it , but now you have asked and they have said NO well it’s now your choice but you run the risk of losing you transporter

#66286 Reply
    Dobbo212
    Participant

I agree Gary – would have been best to have just acted dumb on this one! I can’t risk putting them on now, just seems harsh having to pay £1,000 over the odds for doing so.

#66290 Reply
    Gary

If you have not picked the vehicle up yet I would stick a set on and just say you payed for the upgrade after the order was placed

#66298 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The problem with these new (secondhand) you do not know the history the seller can tell you what they like, they could be set made up of written of vehicle, or very good counterfeit copies, you will have no address to the seller?

Playing ignorance is not a defence if you have a wheel failure at speed you could have a very nasty accident.

#66306 Reply
    Ben Stewart

No oscarmax no trims tbh o find VW truly awful on the transporter side of things.

Everything is a bloody add-on and charged through the nose.

#66308 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Ben and VW probably pay the wheel manufacture peanuts, but what can you do, one alternative is for the member to contact mobility and have a chat about some wheel trims.

#66310 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes you can get some nice wheel trims nowadays

#66365 Reply
    Rico

See you worded it wrong, what you should of asked motability was if after delivery I decide to purchase official vw alloys designed for this transporter and the dealer fit them is this OK.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Adding alloy wheels – arghhhhhh
Your information: