Adaptation enabling autistic DC sit in passenger seat

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by PS.
  • Creator
    Topic
    PS
    Participant

I have an autistic child (14yo) and a 14 month old child. This means either 14yo has to sit in front passenger seat or my wife crammed between children in the middle of rear seat. There arent many cars  with 3 proper rear seats, except Citroen c5 aircross.

If I can have an adaptation that would prevent my older child from reaching out to the controls or me, it would mean I have a lot of options and potentially go for slightly cheaper car. I called nearby adaptions installer, who couldnt think of much. They had in past installed persplex dividers between front and rear, but not between driver and passenger at front.

if you can share any ideas or existing adaptations that you use, it would be much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

If I can have an adaptation that would prevent my older child from reaching out to the controls or me,

That sounds just like my autistic 14yo. Even with with the other disabilities she still manages to do it!

I can’t offer much help, other than we use a beltlock but that still leaves their hands free. School suggested a Houdini suit but, we felt that would be cruel, so never expored them.

PS
        Participant

Thanks a lot for your reply Kezo!

Siavash7373
          Participant

I’m in a similar situation and have tested ten cars so far, but I haven’t made a decision yet.
            Tested the Hyundai Ioniq 5. While the rear seats aren’t as spacious as those in the Citroën Aircross, I believe they can still accommodate two car seats and an adult sitting in the middle

Rich44
            Participant

I’d want to try that as we looked at the i5 and thought that rear seat looked quite cramped for 3

PS
              Participant

thank you Siavash and Rich. We kept Ioniq 5 in list as the centre console was movable, freeing some legspace for person at centre seat.

At the moment, the hope is DC grows\understands the implications of trying to open doors while driving 😉

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.