Actual milage from your PHEV

• Creator
    Topic
  • #158400 Reply
    brydo

I’ve read many articles suggesting the actual mpg and pure electric ranges are vastly exaggerated.

We have a number of members driving PHEVs now so it would be interesting to receive real world figures from them.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158423 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

My average over 6627 mile including electric 110 mpg

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#158428 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

The problem with getting accurate figures on PHEV’s is down to use, if your commute is 15 miles and you plug in each end and do no other driving, your MPG will be huge, by the same token, a 100 mile commute and unable to charge at one end and the MPG will be crap

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#158466 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Agreed. It’s difficult enough with ordinary cars – driving style, journey types, road conditions etc. I’d say with a PHEV adding in the battery range factor, it would be impossible to produce anything meaningful.

I do a regular airport run in my current X1 and note the mpg over the return trip  The route is optimum driving for fuel economy.  I will be going again in a few weeks but in the new XC40, so I will see how it compares.

#158470 Reply
    brydo

All you can give are the figures you produce and that’s what’s important. If you have had your car for a while you will know, roughly, with your particular driving style, how far you get on battery only on short journeys or on the motorway and the same on petrol only or a combination of the two.

My daughter has a phev and gets 30 miles on electric when on the motorway and, strangely, 25 miles about town, the reverse would be expected. She is getting about 70 mpg but is almost always driving in electric mode.

#158477 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Agreed. It’s difficult enough with ordinary cars – driving style, journey types, road conditions etc. I’d say with a PHEV adding in the battery range factor, it would be impossible to produce anything meaningful. I do a regular airport run in my current X1 and note the mpg over the return trip The route is optimum driving for fuel economy. I will be going again in a few weeks but in the new XC40, so I will see how it compares.

I always add in the fuel and electric cost to obtain a more accurate mpg figure

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#158485 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

All you can give are the figures you produce and that’s what’s important. If you have had your car for a while you will know, roughly, with your particular driving style, how far you get on battery only on short journeys or on the motorway and the same on petrol only or a combination of the two. My daughter has a phev and gets 30 miles on electric when on the motorway and, strangely, 25 miles about town, the reverse would be expected. She is getting about 70 mpg but is almost always driving in electric mode.

Not sure if we are the typical PHEV user we tow a 1500 kg caravan on average more than 1500 miles a year plus make frequent longish drive to see the grandchildren, we tend to charge up at home or the odd sneaky top up at Tesco’s

The last time since getting back from a towing holiday we filled up 1st June, since coming back we have been up and down the motorway covering 1023 miles to date, at lunch time we filled up at Asda’s 19.52 litres @ £1.287 (£25.12) plus since the 1st June £11.40 @ 0.05 kWh  in electric total cost to cover 1023 miles = £36.52

Tell me I am wrong = 163.94mpg

#158490 Reply
    Brydo

Great info as always oscarmax you might not be your typical user but you are a user and all we can ask is that members give an idea of what they use and how they use it .I’m sure there will be others in a similar position who will find this info very useful especially if  they are thinking of towing and weren’t sure if an EV would suit them.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Reply #158470 in Actual milage from your PHEV
Your information: