Accessible Holiday destinations.

• Creator
    Topic

I’ve opened this thread in response to an excellent suggestion by Jojoe. Holiday venues have to be considered more carefully by those of us in the disabled community, whether we are personally disabled or have family or friends that we share our lives and holidays with and have mobility or other non physical problems.

It’s good to share, and will engender even more community spirit as we learn a bit more about the WMC forum posters holiday destinations.

Cheers guys and girls.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      joss

Great idea POPS. Any spare money we are spending on the house. I can honestly say the last holiday was a week in a cottage “Scarogen” up in the dales circa 2014.

Joss
        Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Ele
        Participant
          Jojoe
          Participant

We always holiday in the UK as it’s a lot easier to manage wheelchairs / scooter. There’s lots of fantastic accessible accommodation. We tend to stay on holiday parks. ParkDean let you search their entire list of holiday parks and narrow it down to wheelchair friendly caravans, they have wet rooms, you can park next to the unit and there’s ramps into the caravan.

One of our favourite is St Ives Bay Beach Resort in Cornwall (Not ParkDean). The accessible caravans have fantastic sea views towards the Godrevy lighthouse.

Another favourite in the same area is Beachside Holiday park in Hayle, it’s a small family owned park with outdoor heated pool a bar and resteraunt with a balcony and amazing views out to sea. The whole site is right in the sand dunes / Towans, you get a fantastic sea view from pretty much anywhere on the site. They also have camping and touring pitches. They don’t have any adapted accommodation but most of the bungalows have a parking space right next to the door, they are all on the level and have a shower over the bath. The staff are lovely, you see the same faces year after year and it’s very reasonably priced!

https://www.beachside.co.uk/360/

I’ve recently been abroad for a family holiday for the first time in some considerable time. The hotel we booked was excellent in terms of accessibility and facilities and the service at all times (24/7) was truly exceptional. The weather was between 24 and 28 celsius for the whole two weeks which reduced my joint pain considerably.

The downside was the cramped flight conditions and the chaotic airport arrival procedure which was reminiscent of ‘herding cattle’ while dodgy characters tried to fleece the tightly packed lines of queuing passengers. The airport was packed even in February, and the wide bodied TUI Boeing 787 that we pre booked our designated seats on back in September last year, was replaced with an elderly and very narrow 737 (no entertainment screens of any description and only three cabin crew) which made for a painful and poorly serviced 5 hours and 45 minutes flight.

I can fully understand why so many of us are choosing holidays in the UK.

DumfriesDik
              Participant

If you want sunshine and everything:

https://www.marysol.org/

It’s in Tenerife.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.