AA RATHER THAN RAC

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  joss 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #118841 Reply

Micky

I have had awfull time useing RAC when I had blowout in my motability car ,because motability do not supply spare wheel for disabled driver,motability drivers have to rely on RAC ,they kept me waiting 7 hours and eventually transported my car home unrepaired & it had to  to have quick fit mobile next day,so many errors from RAC ,eventually sent me £50, WILL MOTABILITY LOOK INTO BEING COVERED BY AA.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #118847 Reply

joss
    Participant

Sorry to read of this Micky.  7 hour wait is down right disgusting. What was the reason for the delay ?

Did you inform Motabilty about this? They need to know what kind of service we are receiving.

I doubt motability would look at changing to the AA. However. it all depends on how long the RAC was awarded the contract for.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#118848 Reply

Azzy

My brother works for the AA as a roadside mechanic and during busy times 7 hours can be normal unfortunately especially if you are at home, they priorities those that have broken down in dangerous locations on the road and those that break down away from home with kids with them.

If they are on there way to you then a more urgent job comes up they will be turned around to go to that job and plus mobile patrols have to travel anywhere up to 50miles to get to you so there are a lot of different factors that play into recovery times.

Sometimes drivers are assigned a job near the end of shift but if they think that job will take long it will then be assigned to another driver who could already be on a job or be 50miles away and have to contend with traffic

#118852 Reply

Craig T

I’ve used RAC twice and they have been very good.

#118856 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

I have had awfull time useing RAC when I had blowout in my motability car ,because motability do not supply spare wheel for disabled driver,motability drivers have to rely on RAC ,they kept me waiting 7 hours and eventually transported my car home unrepaired & it had to to have quick fit mobile next day,so many errors from RAC ,eventually sent me £50, WILL MOTABILITY LOOK INTO BEING COVERED BY AA.

Sorry to hear of your delays with the RAC.

Conversely when using a company car last year, the AA took almost 10 hours to arrive, so I wouldn’t say delay is a specific RAC thing. As Azzy has posted above, there are so many variables and priorities, it could happen with any company. More bad luck than anything, probably in a ‘wrong time-wrong place’ scenario.

At least you got a token compensatory payment from them which is more than I got from the AA, other than a letter of apology!

It is hardly Motability’s fault that most volume car manufacturers nowadays only equip vehicles with a ‘can of goo’ as standard. The manufacturer’s wanting to get weight (thus emissions) and cost of the vehicles as low as possible.

I am not averse to paying for a spare wheel, tyre and jack for my Motability vehicles though. Mainly as a ‘peace of mind’ thing, knowing that a puncture/blow out would not cause an important journey to such as the airport or hospital etc to be aborted.

The spare/jack can always be sold on e-bay (other such sites are available) when the car is returned at the end of the lease and proceeds used to help fund another one for the new vehicle.

#118861 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I had to use the RAC a couple of years ago whilst taking friends to the airport 150 miles away, had to ring them a taxi and pay for it so they could catch their plane, the recovery guy took around 90 minutes to arrive and a further 2 hours to do a temporary fix, although I arrived home over 4 hours late I did get it home to be fixed at a later date (very badly and not properly after 6 attempts, not going into that).

Overall I was happy with the service, the guy asked if wanted him to fix it as a recovery truck would be over 8 hours to get to me!

As a disabled customer you should have had priority and not been kept waiting 7 hours, I did inform them I was disabled and they said I would be on priority list and kept informed every half hour of eta (which they did).

#118868 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

As a disabled customer you should have had priority and not been kept waiting 7 hours, I did inform them I was disabled and they said I would be on priority list and kept informed every half hour of eta (which they did).

That’s what I’ve always thought vinal that Motability customers had priority and wonder if Micky could tell us if he used the RAC Motability number 0800 7311173 when he called for help.

Thankfully I’ve never needed to ring the RAC since becoming a customer but I have raised my concerns with Motability about the lack of a spare wheel and again thankfully only one of my four Motability cars have been spare-less.

#118870 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

The two or three times we have used RAC on dedicated Motability line we have received exceptional and speedy service.

sorry to hear of your experience

#118873 Reply

Ade

Seven hours waiting on a fix, that is not fit for purpose.

Mixed experiences with RAC – one guy blew my intake system to bits trying to start the car – he blasted dampstart into the air intake. I had to wait 2 hours in sub zero temps as well. I was oyunger and could handle that  at the time.

The next time I used RAC, I had a wonderkid, run proper diagnostic, not on a machine either, knew his hall sender inside out and got the car running, and he told me it was an intermittent fault in the wires at the sensor connector. really impressed by his logic and testing.

The first RAC guy was a monkey.

#118914 Reply

Micky

Motability did know about this ,RAC left me & my career on side on busy dangerous  road from 12.30 am into darkness ,eventually when RAC came he had not the corrdct equipment to get me to quick fit ,he said ,no food no drink for  all that time ,if we had got a spare wheel he could of changed it,he called for a low loader eventually ,from 11.30 am I got home after 19.30,motability where aware ,MOTABILITY CARS NEED TO HAVE SPARE WHEELS ,WE ARE DISABLED.

Not stupid inflateing kit.

#118915 Reply

Micky

11.30 not 12.30

#118917 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

I thought it was sorted out a few years ago that the RAC etc. carried or had access to universal spare wheels for just such occasions?

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#118928 Reply

joss
    Participant

I have run flat tyres on my BMW X2 😉 just saying. Albeit as a part of the sports pack.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: AA RATHER THAN RAC

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: