A Motability salesperson’s take on hydrogen.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

Was talking to the Motability chap at our local Renault dealership yesterday who was saying that BEVs & PHEVs are okay for now but another three years it’ll all be hydrogen. He said that they’re soon to start replacing they’re petrol/diesel tanks with hydrogen (they’re a Texaco station as well) and that that’s the way it’s headed long-term.

Guess we’ll see.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

He’s not wrong, Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. No digging up dirty precious metals for batteries.

Elliot
        Participant

Last Sunday’s Top Gear had a small feature on hydrogen cars. Unfortunately, there is only one hydrogen car available and it isn’t cheap. They also said that there were all of 12 hydrogen filling pumps in the whole of the UK.

joss

I have just been reading the Stellantis web site. Looking Here at fuel cell Technology is very interesting.

I would agree with your comments above @Bandit

Joss
            Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Wigwam
            Participant
              Brydo
              Participant

Bandit he’s talking rubbish, making hydrogen is far too expensive to ever compete against electricity.

Jojoe every hydrogen car has a battery, sizes between 15-20 kWh. My PHEV has a 10kwh battery so, so much for the no more digging up dirty precious metals 😂

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
                Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Brydo
                Participant

Jojoe just read my post again and it came across a bit rude. That wasnt my intention i just have a laugh when people talk about hydrogen as a replacement for electric vehicles as its never going to happen.

Sorry if i offended you.

kezo
                  Participant

One bonus with hydrogen fuel cars if they can find a way to produce it cheaply, is reduced mining of materials, Which not only causes pollution as a bi product of mining these materials but also the use of heavy machinery. Also the deeper they dig for these materials, the waste materials are burying towns etc etc.

Another massive bonus of hydrogen fuel cells cars is they still go brum brum brum peep peep which not only keeps the petrol heads happy but also the makers of sports cars as seen on op gear Sunday as @Elliot also pointed out.

Another massive win is a conventional engine can be adapted to run on hydrogen fairly easily.

Pirots

If anyone thinks you don’t need to dig up metals and precious metals for hydrogen they should look again.

Tiny tim
                      Participant

Here we go new hydrogen fuel cell bikes as well pics.HYDROGEN FUEL CELL BIKE

Tiny tim
                        Participant

And another 

Wigwam
                          Participant
                            kezo
                            Participant
                              Brydo
                              Participant

Kezo for every “ground breaking hydrogen break through” I could post four “ground breaking battery breakthrough”. Don’t get me wrong if hydrogen can be made much, much cheaper, and made by totally renewable energy, then it’s definitely up for discussion, but we are a million miles away from that point at present.

All the big money is concentrating on battery technology and we will see massive steps in this area in the next five to ten years.

Abercol
                                Participant

We operate 3 hydrogen Toyotas at my work, the cost of a fill is eyewatering £14 per KG (around £24 for every 60 miles), much more than petrol or diesel and far outweighing the electricity cost. They have just reached 3 yrs old, 1 had to be flat bed trucked to the dealer for its MOT (it passed!).

They are unreliable & staff refuse to fill them as the pumps are like a science experiment. The range is, like electric, nowhere near the WLTP unless you drive like you had a guy walking out front waving a red flag.

Cost around £50k each, cost a fortune to run, 2 of the 3 have had multiple repairs, the third had sat unused for 6 months and needed a flatbed to take it to the pumps as it has lost its hydrogen.

I thought they were the future, but looking at the complexity and cost it just doesn’t make sense unless technology evolves. Trucks given their use,  might well turn hydrogen powered.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

volkswin
                                  Participant

It’s intresting reading some of the comments in regard to Hydrogen powered vehicles.

The same was siad about BEV’s back in the day, its only been through government actions that manufacturers have pursued BEV technology (BEV was the cheapest, quickest and easiest route for the industry to achieve zero emmsion vehicles) this has evolved to point where BEV’s are now ‘viable’ transport for some.

I could see a  fairly rapid development of HFCV  technology for the  commercial vehicle market as there is no viable battery zero emmision alternative to fossil fuels for the foreseable future.

rox
                                    Participant

Aviation is looking to hydrogen and obviously synthetic fuels. As for cars who knows but it does seem those who for ev’s are against any other technology and i wonder why that is?

Any technology only last so long until it is superseded by totally different technology, due to it’s limitations.

Jojoe
                                      Participant

BrydoParticipant
                                        Jojoe just read my post again and it came across a bit rude. That wasnt my intention i just have a laugh when people talk about hydrogen as a replacement for electric vehicles as its never going to happen.

Sorry if i offended you.

Don’t worry about it Brydo, I’m very thick skinned 😉

Rugbyleague
                                        Participant

Aviation is looking to hydrogen and obviously synthetic fuels. As for cars who knows but it does seem those who for ev’s are against any other technology and i wonder why that is? Any technology only last so long until it is superseded by totally different technology, due to it’s limitations.

Thats an interesting point I suppose each person supports the power source they believe in ICE, EV or hydrogen

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.