A lovely new Golf

• Creator
    Topic
  • #124877 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Here is the new MK 8 VW Golf hybrid style in reflex silver very economical quiet and great dsg and 150 bhp you get the better multi link suspension ! Just a shame folding mirrors etc are extras do you get a discount on extras ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #124878 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Just read road test on the new 2 litre diesel version got nearly 700 miles to the tank with 67 mpg said very quiet

#124879 Reply
    joss
    Participant

Very nice Menorca Mike

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#124883 Reply
    File28

Good looking car and impressive figures but just a shame that they are following others with options being packs to get one thing you want and 3things you don’t

#124885 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes that’s the trouble I wonder if you pay full price for extras or do you get them half price ? I’d want folding mirrors and keyless

#124892 Reply
    72 dudes

Mike, the cost of optional extras is negotiable at some dealers, there’s no hard and fast rule.

I got 50% off the comfort pack on an Audi Q3 in 2017, but absolutely nothing off a rear camera and winter pack on our XC40 this year.

#124922 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I was playing around with the VW online configurator the other day because I quite like the new Mk 8 Golf. It was the 1.5 DSG mild hybrid R-Line… mainly because I like a dark interior. The AP is £999. It comes with most things I would use or want – but the standard alloys are too small & incredibly boring, so there’s £450 to upgrade to the nicer wheels. It also doesn’t come with heated seats (£270) and as mentioned above, the option for folding mirrors is part of a pack which is £550.

My Golf R-Line is now £1,270… add the £999 AP… and what seemed like a good deal is now £2,269 AP!

I guess you could say that the £600 GCB would pay for the wheels or folding mirror pack – but even so – that’s a bit tight of VW to not include folding mirrors or heated seats on what VW call a “more premium vehicle”. And what’s more annoying still is the fact that if I did go ahead and take delivery of one – a month later, VW will add the extras as standard on that model because that’s what always happens to me whenever I order a car!

#124923 Reply
    Ian

What’s crazy is looking at the gti configurator (thinking about the gtd) the heated seats are not included on that, a 35k top of the range car!

They USED to be included, like you say they are more like bmw these days charge extra for everything.

#124927 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

What’s crazy is looking at the gti configurator (thinking about the gtd) the heated seats are not included on that, a 35k top of the range car! They USED to be included, like you say they are more like bmw these days charge extra for everything.

All of the major German manufacturer’s do it Ian – VW, BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I’m not bothered about cars that ‘park themselves’ or glass roofs, electric adjustable seats with massage function or 10-speaker sound systems. MINI started this whole business (owned by BMW of course). When I ordered a Cooper a few years back, MINI’s website let you add each individual option you wanted as a stand-alone option. It was bloody complicated at the time but you could add what you personally wanted. People complained that it was too complicated – so MINI made everything into ‘packs’. Since then, all of the German makers have followed suit. It’s expensive and it’s bloody annoying!

#124936 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

The first thing I would do to that is change the wheels as they look like wheel trims rather than alloys.

#124949 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Solent 60 I don’t like paying for extras when they standard on Toyota Dacia etc

#124952 Reply
    Dave G

Ian, if you look at some of the specs on the BMW this year, they are being I would say, “generous” in applying most chargeable extras on as standard. As for VW goes, they’ve become real horrible with the new Golf, following the trails of Audi.

What I have noticed is, when nee vehicles are launched, they tend to profit off the add ons as much as they can and down the line they start to add them on as standard on facelift versions or certain versions that pop up a year later. For example, my Golf GT facelift in my first year didn’t have proper climate control and certain LED lights but this year they’ve added all sorts! It’s all to make a profit.

#124956 Reply
    Dave G

Menorca, nice choice but for me i’m going to pass on this year’s Golf. The design department is extremely disappointing, or should I say, ideas taken from Toyota Corolla! I must say I do love the interior. Do post some pictures of it when you can. Enjoy!

#124957 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Solent 60 I don’t like paying for extras when they standard on Toyota Dacia etc

Indeed Mike.

I’ve had some great little Motability cars in the past – Citroen C2 VTR, the DS3 when it first came out, Mini Cooper, etc – to name just three. I don’t need a big car. I quite like the new Golf… and the Corolla GR Sport… but so far, and having thought long & hard about it the past few weeks before I can order in Q4, the car that is winning both my heart & my mind is… the new Peugeot 208 GT Line. Stunning inside & out, an 8-speed auto box, and 2020 European Car of the Year to boot! I’d pick this colour as well… and it’s got just about everything I’d want in a car with an AP of £875. Knock off the GCB and it’s bargain as well as a hoot!

#124958 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Solent that looks fab what engine is it ? I’m sure the 8 speed auto box is in BMW as well ?

#124959 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Is it keyless ? Does it have folding mirrors standard ?

#124961 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

It’s a 1.2 turbo with 230 Nm of torque Mike so quite ‘punchy’ (0-60 in 8 secs). The engine is fitted into a lot of the latest Peugeots & has won a lot of praise. Folding mirrors & keyless entry (‘Open & Go System’) are standard.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by solent60.
    #124968 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Solent would it be reliable ?the brand Is low done in the rankings

#124971 Reply
    Tharg

Solent, I say! That Peugeot looks very good. Like you I no longer need a big car; just a shopping trolley that is, preferrably, rewarding to drive, hence my Cooper S 3dr. Would have been tempted by the French voiture had it been available. Would look better with two doors, of course. But at least it’s a proper car-sized car. Not a tank-sized SUV.

#124975 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Solent would it be reliable ?the brand Is low done in the rankings

In the last couple of years or so Mike, Peugeot have come on leaps & bounds. They used to have a pretty poor record in the past, particularly with the electrics – but in recent times have made great strides to improve their reputation. The new 208 is a prime example; high end materials & very well put together. The engine in the latest Peugeots is a cracking little award-winning engine & if you look at video reviews on YouTube of the new 208 (or indeed 2008, etc), you can see that they are on a par with anything VAG has to offer. Infact, VAG, BMW and especially Land Rover have all performed pretty poorly over recent years with issues. Peugeot are certainly no worse than any of the above these days.

#124976 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Many thanks Solent I will look at reviews it looks lovely I like the blue

#124978 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Solent, I say! That Peugeot looks very good. Like you I no longer need a big car; just a shopping trolley that is, preferrably, rewarding to drive, hence my Cooper S 3dr. Would have been tempted by the French voiture had it been available. Would look better with two doors, of course. But at least it’s a proper car-sized car. Not a tank-sized SUV.

Same here Tharg, I just don’t need a car the size of a Challenger battle tank! I love the feeling of being cocooned in a small car that you can park anywhere & throw around the back roads of leafy Hampshire.

A real life look at it:

#124981 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Glad i didn’t wait for the mk8 to arrive, there a few things i just don’t like, compared to the mk7 i did have and i would not get the one with the basic seats very uncomfortable after 20 mins unbearable. The slider instead of a volume knob.. Plus voice, android auto prob cost more and with honda i got all as standard. plus from a 1.5 i got 182 bhp not 150. loving that..

#124997 Reply
    Tharg

Solent… glad it’s not just me that want car-sized cars! Not just aesthetics, simply cannot climb up into them without buggering up already buggered back. Current Mota’ vehicle is 3dr Cooper S, fits the “cocooned in small car” criteria well. So long as you realise that it is NOT a hatchback but really an eccentric-looking two-seat sports car!

On subject of Golf, agree with Elliot re the wheels, they look like cheap plastic. Also find it odd that the top-of-the-range “ordinary” Golf (i.e. not a GTi) has a 150bhp lump delivering a modest 0-60 of 8.5secs. Next one up is the GTi (0-60 6.3ish secs). That’s a big gap. VAG’s four-pot engine goes very well at just under 2.0L capacity, would fit nicely in the Golf.

#124999 Reply
    Zohaib

Does anyone know if the GTD will make a comeback? Deffo ordering something q4 as I’ve waited long enough now. Thanks

#125031 Reply
    Ian

Re the GTD, Speaking to my dealer, told not to expect it in the next 2 quarters. Unfortunately.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
Reply To: A lovely new Golf
Your information: