A huge choice of vehicles ?, reallty

• Creator
    Topic
    myself33
    Participant

Yes that was the main title of the email i got yesterday as i am due to renew from end of next month, i rang them i said you are you sending misleading (lowest choice at moment ) ,  inaccurate , emails out that you know the information is false ( should be classed as lies in my view , if you know what you are saying is incorrect), but obviously they want your money for another 3 years , as some may know i am leaving when my lease is up.

I told them , i feel its more about profits then customers these days, and some of their APs are that high its just embarrassing, i was then told the AP was sent by the manufactures .

I hope things improve in the medium term , so i can come back on

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      fwippers
      Participant

Whilst agreeing that he numbers are very low, the high AP’S are primarily a result of a combination of several global factors.

kezo
        Participant

Whilst there are currently 517 vehicles on the scheme. Actual vehicle models will be around a 5th of the total  with the rest made up of different model variants of a particular vehicle.

There is also a severe shortage of what actually are classed as large cars/suv’s with a limited number of medium sized vehicles currently on the scheme. There is also a severe lack of EV’s and PHEVS.

The AP’s are scandalously high, whilst at the same time Motability continue to rake in huge profits. I will also say if the situation doesn’t alter drastically by the time my current lease is up for renewal, I will be leaving the scheme and purchasing my own. At least I will have some capital in what I own when I come to sell it.

ChrisK
          Participant

DefinitelyNotAGuro is reporting he’s seeing some of the lowest prices for some car leasers this year sofar for July.

Most of the cars are big engine jobs so could be linked to fuel prices and delivery times have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

So how many big engine cars on Motability have reduced prices? 🤷‍♂️

rox
            Participant

I just did that kezo, almost a month now since I left the scheme, handed my car back early and got the ap I paid back pro-rata.

Overall I am not paying much more a month than I was being on the scheme at current ap’s on cars that I would probally pick as my next on the scheme. Considering that when my HP term ends, I’ll have an asset worth 50% of the cars new price value.

Yes I will have to pay for servicing etc but i have worked it out and the options it gives me moving forward into the unknown and the 2030 ban and alot of makers before i think going fully ev are worth the extra i will pay. The time for me was now..

What really pushed me to jump now was the 0% apr deal on the suzuki Vitara and it having lots of driving aids I like and now really need, compared to others that i could afford and didn’t have the aids etc..

All variants actually went up £500 on the Vitara this 1/4 on the scheme.

Probally would not of looked at it on the scheme but ticked all my boxes and the few it didn’t ain’t no biggies for me, like having a handbrake or autohold,  pretty much they cause the car to restart the stop/start when stationary. Is a hybid and has regeneration and gives it a boost.

Were as on the scheme i’d have nothing, especilly with higher and higher ap’s it’s just not as attractive for me and also the way the scheme is going to have to go.

Regarding offerings. 517 cars only 273 are fully automatics. Sure also they have reclassified what large is.. As for the huge profits it’s no surprise at all and my real issue is they give away profits made from us to causes of their choice and not back into the scheme or what is given to us  is all but a token gestures to say they doing somthing.

An ev or phev ain’t really practical for us right now and how would I drive to visit and see my younger brother’s this sunday for a barbecue that’s is a minimum 382 mile round trip, that will take at least 7 hours driving. No charge points nearby and he don’t have a driveway and neither do we. So it leaves you little options but to drive somewhere and charge or stop at expensive chargepoints at motorway services you stuck at till you charged(which is a big problem for me and my condition) if they actually work or ain’t already occupied. That I wouldn’t stop at to refuel now at as they just so expensive, compared to supermarket fuel.

So for me there’s so many reason’s now why the scheme ain’t what it was.

gilders
              Participant

The APs are unjustifiably high. So long as a leasing company have enough in reserve (to purchase the car new), the AP plus weekly Allowance we forfeit should correlate with depreciation, NOT the initial purchase price of a new vehicle.

I read that people think the APs are so high because prices of cars have increased quicker than benefits. That is true, but as I mentioned above, the initial cost of the car is not as important as depreciation.

The main issue is Motability wanting everything their own way. They don’t want to offer manufacturers a fair price for their vehicles (hence many leaving the scheme), but they still want us to pay higher and higher APs.

As far as I understand, benefits are increased with inflation, but are a year behind. This should mean that from next April, we will be sacrificing a larger than usual benefit increase to line Motability’s pockets.

Mike

Are Motobility raking it in as the used car market has skyrocketed? They must be loving it. Shame they don’t pass those benefits down.

rox
                  Participant

indeed they are mike, plus also from people extending and staying in cars longer.. They giving the money to other causes, rather to us on the scheme, with the huge sums involved think profit in last 6 months audit was around 550m.

kezo
                    Participant

As @rox says they are making an absolute fortune. There is a thread on here that shows how much they are making  but can’t remember where. It was an investigation by someone from Scotland.

I extended my last car to 4.5 yrs. The good condition bonus isn’t even on a pro rata basis, hence it will be my first and last car I will ever extend with them.

Dragonfly

I had a look at the email today and was quite shocked by the APs, we have already decided to extend our lease by 2 years. The APs make the decision to extend a good one.

I appreciate that prices do rise over time, it’s on a daily basis at the moment, we bought a pack of lurpack butter today and the shop assistant asked how would we like to finance it.

As a proportion of the sale price have the AP risen sharply over the last 5 years or is my memory playing tricks?

rox
                        Participant

@Dragonfly and @kezo https://www.motabilityoperations.co.uk/Motability_Operations_2022_HYR_WEB.pdf

Financial performance
                          Revenue in the six months to March 2022
                          increased 6.7% to £2,313.9m (2021: £2,169.0m).
                          Within this:
                          • Rental income increased 4.3% reflecting
                          higher average customer numbers (with an
                          incremental 9,800 joining the scheme) and
                          the effect of the 0.5% uplift in mobility
                          allowances effective from April 2021. Rental
                          income in the year to March 2021 was also
                          net of £32m of insurance related rental
                          rebates, which distorts the year-on-year
                          comparison.
                          • Notwithstanding a lower volume of vehicles
                          sold – down 30,000 units compared with 2021
                          (a consequence of an increasing volume of
                          lease extensions for existing customers
                          pending the delivery of their new vehicles)
                          the proceeds from the disposal of operating
                          lease assets saw a 8.4% increase in the six
                          months to March 2022 compared with prior
                          year, reflecting the elevated sales values
                          achieved in the used-car market.
                          Profit for the period was £598.7m, representing
                          a 10.3% return on assets (above our long-term
                          target of 1.5%). This above target result is
                          primarily driven by two effects:
                          • A gain of £403.9m from vehicle sales (2021:
                          £78.4m), reflecting the buoyant used-car
                          market referenced above. The strength of
                          the used-car market can be directly linked
                          to the new-vehicle supply-side challenges
                          faced globally. This has resulted in significant
                          switching of demand to used cars. Our vehicle
                          remarketing operation has been able to
                          effectively capitalise on the conducive
                          demand conditions in the used-car market,
                          with average sales values of £15.5k (up 50%)
                          on prior year not only driving increased
                          revenue, but leading to crystallised profits
                          versus the net book value. Whilst this upside
                          is in part a result of used-car values
                          exceeding our previous forecast expectations,
                          this also reflects the realisation of a
                          proportion of the blocked appreciation which
                          was carried through the September 2021 year-
                          end (as signalled in the 2021 Annual Report
                          and Accounts).
                          • A £311.4m depreciation credit reflecting the
                          output of the March 2022 fleet revaluation
                          exercise outlined below.
                          The result for the first six months of trading
                          takes restricted reserves on the balance sheet
                          to £3,480.1m (March 2021: £2,444.7m) providing
                          headroom above our target position.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.