£99 at costco to almost fill my car

• Creator
    Topic
  • #181239 Reply
    martinod
    Participant

went to costco so filled my car up it stopped at the maximum amount allowed at the pump of £99 but could have taken a bit more

its a 65 plate diesel volvo xc60

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by martinod.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #181245 Reply
    Joey

Bargain!

#181253 Reply
    MickC
    Participant

I’ll send the syphoners round during the nite.

#181350 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I keep seeing adverts on TV from Legal & General to lend money on your home to improve the kitchen, have a holiday and so on, just wonder how long it’s going to be before we lend money on our homes to fill the tank. 😁

#181355 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Filled up 8 days ago £9.52 prior to that 36 before £29.34, fortunately everything is quite local for us, this time of year we don’t travel very far.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#181363 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

I’m sure it used to cost nearly 80 quid back in the early 90s for my hubby to fill his old car.

Current vehicle: 2018 SEAT LEON ST 1.8 TSI FR Technology DSG
    On order: MINI 5-Door Hatch 2.0 Cooper S Classic Steptronic

#181365 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

.. was it a lorry? Or do you mean adjusted for inflation?

Average petrol price in 1990 was around £1.90. Per gallon. 45p per litre. 150l doesn’t sound right for the average car?

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#181388 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

Not a lorry. Not sure what made me think of 79 quid. Just checked the petrol prices from the early 90s it was ‘only’ about ten bob a Litre. So must have been about 50 quid. I know it used to take ages to fill the tank and the back of the car visibly went down. The fuel tank held 96l. It was over the back axle (safest place in a collision) and filled the area under the parcel shelf. I remember the fuel gauge sender could be reached by removing the first aid kit compartment in it (the parcel shelf). The car was a W116 Merc. Fortunately my current car is more economical, and my next when it gets here will be even more so.

#181390 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The car was a W116 Merc.

One of the best cars i’ve ever driven. Same level as my old W126.

Imagine a car nowadays carrying 96 litres lol.

#181439 Reply
    Mike11

Omg gas and electric gone up my smart meter saying cost now what I usually use in a day !

#181499 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

The car was a W116 Merc.

One of the best cars i’ve ever driven. Same level as my old W126. Imagine a car nowadays carrying 96 litres lol.

Think it needed it. Hubby’s was the 280SE (the “economical” baby). We got 30mpg on long runs (and easily crossed the country on a tankful), but only about 10mpg around town. I remember the local Mercedes dealer had the 450SEL 6.9 that was owned by Colin Chapman and Lord McAlpine for sale. One of the mechanics used to take it home at the weekends and he told me it used to do less than 5mpg! Don’t know if they ever sold it, I remember the price going down and down (less than 2 grand in the end). It was spotless. Those were the days, would be worth a lot these days, especially with free road tax and no MOT needed. Mind you, its not as fast (top speed and 0-62) as the MINI I have on order.

Went past our local Esso station today litre of petrol was £1.65, would have cost £158.40 to fill the Merc.

#181577 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Not entirely fair to compare a 50 year old S-Class with a Mini. 😀

Our next car will out-accelerate a Lamborghini and Ferrari. Granted, only a Lamborghini Spark R and a Ferrari Dino GTS, but..

It’s something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#181583 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

I would rather have the 50 year old S Class, but it wouldn’t fit in my garage. The fuel consumption would be a worry though, but as we do low miles bearable.

As you say “Not entirely fair to compare a 50 year old S-Class with a Mini”, I mainly said that to demonstrate how much things have moved on. The W116 was considered by many to be the best car in the world. Whereas the Mini was the ultimate peoples car; although admittedly it has moved up market a bit since BMW took over it is still a cheap car (if any modern car can be cheap) if you go for the classic with no options.

#181589 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

I would add that the engines in the Merc had more power, just the sheers size, weight  and aerodynamics contributed to the lower performance. I think they may have been safer in a crash to.

#181601 Reply
    machoco

Seen a few videos now with government officals regarding future fuel prices and it could be expected to be going up to £2.40 a litre in a year or less

#181602 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I would add that the engines in the Merc had more power, just the sheers size, weight and aerodynamics contributed to the lower performance. I think they may have been safer in a crash to.

Did they though? The top engines, yeah. Unless i’m remembering wrong, the Cooper S should have more power than both the 2.8l V6 and the 3.5l V8.

Might be wrong.

#181618 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

The W116 never had a V6. The M110 (2.8 straight 6) fitted to the 280S may have had less but the Fuel injected (SE) M110 made 185, a little bit more than the S. The M116 (3.5 V8) made 228. The M117 (4.5 V8) made 296. The M100 (6.9 V8) made less at 282, but produced 550 N-M of torque. The top spec JCW (Country and Clubman) makes more, but can’t match the torque.

Though these are the max produced by these engines, the US specked versions where way down on these figures as you say less than the Cooper S.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Ginny.

#181634 Reply
    Rene

For some reason i thought the Cooper S made 210hp, that’s where the problem lies.

#181652 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

For some reason i thought the Cooper S made 210hp, that’s where the problem lies.

Would be nice if it was, I believe it has been detuned a bit and they’ve removed the popping and banging but I don’t think it ever had that much poke. Would have been too close the JCW other wise. Modern cars/engines are far more efficient and weigh a lot less. But for some of us they have lost something.

#181653 Reply
    Martinod

I’m love a mini just for fun a classic mini

‘you were only meant to blow the bloody doors off ‘

#181655 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Would be nice if it was, I believe it has been detuned a bit and they’ve removed the popping and banging but I don’t think it ever had that much poke. Would have been too close the JCW other wise. Modern cars/engines are far more efficient and weigh a lot less. But for some of us they have lost something.

I agree.

Still miss my old E30 325i. Probably the best drivers car i’ve ever had.

#181681 Reply
    struth
    Participant

my dad’s xj6 mk2 took 25 gallons eek!  thats about 180 quid now.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#181682 Reply
    struth
    Participant

just checking cost then and it would have cost £19.  (1977/8)era. petrol was 0.76 a gallon,
    Inflation adjusted to £3.23. so fuel is well more than twice as expensive now in real terms

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#181709 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Ginny we had I think 115 coupe but also 6.9 litre and I am sure a 116 so here are photos we also had a fintail and the white one ended up being sprayed red in the end

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Windy.
    #181713 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Back when the term “made in germany” still meant something. There’s a few old Mercs i’d give a leg for, be it the 190E 2.5 Evo II which is still the embodiment of “the evil guys car”:

And of course the “rote Sau” (the red sow).

#181717 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Rene I had a few more never a 190 though I was tempted a couple if times

I think I had six in total as you can see two different periods

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: £99 at costco to almost fill my car
Your information: