800,000 UK citizens to get covid vaccine starting next week.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #130890 Reply
    Brydo

I wonder who will get it first, hopefully those who need it most.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #131050 Reply
    Tharg

“Who will get it first?” Ah, well, it seems we must fight our way through the standard levels of government incompetence before we can answer that question. Unless I’ve misunderstood the confusing announcements, the first choice announced was for care-home residents and staff. Then someone with half a brain realised that delivering vaccines  at -70C together with qualified staff to administer it to thousands of care homes was beyond NHS capabilities. Also realised that there are not enough ambulances/taxis to bring care home residents to hospitals. So, first-to-receive now appears to be NHS staff (and maybe some patients?) in NHS hospitals. Now, I wonder whether person with half a brain has thought about the logistic problem of: a) Getting the expensive, dangerous and complicated kit needed to store stuff at -70C, and, b) Training staff to plug in and use said kit without blowing it up and/or rending the vaccine unusable.

I expect the NHS It’s-Not-Our-Fault departments are in overdrive!

#131070 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Totally tharg, They don’t understand the real world we all live in.. They didn’t plan for the seasonal yearly strain on the health service. Infact they added to it by losing 13k beds in the system to social distance.

It’s like the traffic calming measures they putting in and then complain congestion is worse. So they can add more restrictions to cause more congestion, it’s never fully thoughtout. why would this rollout be any different.

Then theres the fact of it not being tested in the usual way and no liabilty if it goes wrong and has longer term side effects than the short trials they done.

#131077 Reply
    Tharg

Yup, Rox. Just so totally typical of this government. Incompetence raised to a new low. What bothers me a bit more is the fact that the UK is the first nation, globally, to introduce vaccinations for Covid. As has been seen our government in particular and our managers in general are criminally incompetent so how come we “beat” the rest of the world? Could it possibly be those in power shoving bulging brown paper envelopes to the right people to get the drug authorised or, more likely, saying, “Pass this vaccine or you won’t have a job AND we’ll shoot your dog.”

It is not without note that politicians and their experts were saying that no corners were cut in the testing, BEFORE anyone suggested that compromises might have been made.

#131238 Reply
    Tharg

It is certain that many folks will be worried about the risks of taking the vaccine. With the speed of introduction, testing time, and storage issues, this is not surprising. Personally, I reckon taking the vaccine is less risky than getting the virus. However, one aspect of giving the vaccine does cause me a bit of worry. As reported by the BBC, “The NHS is recruiting 30,000 volunteers to help with the rollout, including lifeguards, airline staff and students – who will be trained to give the jabs.”

It has been made clear that the Pfizer vaccine is a sensitive, delicate, complex thing which demands very careful expert handling. Not sure that lifeguards, hosties and undergrads who’ve spent a couple of hours learning how to inject someone are the appropriate people to “give the jabs”.

#131242 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

It has been made clear that the Pfizer vaccine is a sensitive, delicate, complex thing which demands very careful expert handling. Not sure that lifeguards, hosties and undergrads who’ve spent a couple of hours learning how to inject someone are the appropriate people to “give the jabs”.

The actual jab is no different to any other jab – it’s the storage of the vaccine that is more difficult.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: 800,000 UK citizens to get covid vaccine starting next week.
Your information: