3008 woes

• Creator
    Topic
  • #177131 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Hi all. Haven’t posted on here for a while, lost both my parents at the end of last year and life has been hectic with other things taking priority.

Got our 3008 hybrid4 in October and tbh it’s been a disaster. Since 2009 it’s the only motability car that we have been left stranded by. New battery pack needed and currently at the dealers for an undiagnosed fault. Have been told nothing wrong with it. Went to start it at school and it wouldn’t do anything. Various faults came up on dash each time I pressed start. Tried lots of things but finally phoned RAC.90 minutes later the car lit up and allowed us to start it and go home. Now with them saying it is fine my confidence in it has disappeared.

The car has also disappointed in other areas. Very poor range. Even in hybrid mode it won’t complete a 25 mile round trip before running out of juice. When fully charged it now shows a range of 16 miles, showed 42 in the first week we bought it. Yes I know it’s cold, winter, etc etc but it does make you think ‘why bother’. If every trip you make is less than 15 miles you’ll be fine, only thing is I’m not sure how many families only make such short journeys. Once that juice runs out you really start to pay for it. I don’t drive particularly fast and 30 mpg is about the norm. That coupled with a very small tank means you are constantly watching the fuel gauge. Ok, but it’s fast right? No. Fast doesn’t even begin to cover it. Liken it to strapping yourself to a missile and pressing launch. It flies. And not just from the lights, it overtakes like few other family cars on the road. Of course your meagre reserves of fuel disappear even more quickly than usual but it’s a novelty for a while. The other price you pay is the noise. In sport mode the engine is quite loud and intrusive and rapidly loses its appeal.

There are good points. I think it looks amazing. Vertigo blue with black pack really looks the part. Often return to it and people will be looking or even pass comment. It’s a real headturner. Equipment levels are high although wireless charging was a no show which was standard when I ordered.

The real ‘deal breaker’ is the comfort. Front seats really look the part and seem comfortable over relatively short distances. Anything over 25 miles and things soon change. I have tried everything but always end up with a burning feeling at the top of my sign. Wheel doesn’t seem to adjust enough for me and I seem to be constantly hunching forward unless I constantly brace myself back against the seat. I’s the same story for my wife, we both avoid using the car if we can preferring the comfort of our Freelander2 instead.

Please note that these are only my opinions and findings in our situation. I am sure many of you have the same car and love it, I genuinely hope you do. Motability have been amazing and very understanding. The agreement has been cancelled and as soon as our sons award letter comes through ( 16 and changing to pip) we shall go for something else. Kia e Niro top of the list. Found it very comfortable, very high spec and available! Sorry if this has just seemed like a moan. I don’t like to complain but thought some might benefit from our experiences. Looking forward to getting back to reading and commenting again. Thank you

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177142 Reply
    Rene

We were interested, but when we went to look at it (prior to booking a test drive), the seats were a dealbreaker. The model we sat in had around 6000 miles on the clock, and it felt like sitting in an old, rancid foam-couch. No support, and i had the impression that any moment now a broken spring is gonna poke me in the butt. Got out of the car and cancelled the test drive there and then.

Now, the faults etc, that can happen in any car, to be entirely fair. Generally in terms of reliability, they appear quite good.

If you want to look at something really comfortable, go and test drive a C5 Aircross. I don’t think there’s anything on the scheme that comes even remotely close to the comfort of that wafting cloud.

Obviously, it’s not particularly sporty. And by that, i mean it’s as sporty as me. And by that, i mean the last time i did “sport” was 25 years ago. So no chucking it into corners, turning the roundabout into a micro nurburgring – but in terms of comfort, it’s genuinely impressive. Flat out beats any BMW or Mercedes available (or not anymore, nowadays) on the scheme by miles.

#177166 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

So sorry to hear about your loss Richardw. Losing a parent is hard, but losing both at the same time must be awful. Welcome back to the forum.

What a shame that the 3008 has been so disappointing. I’m pleased to hear that Motability are allowing you to terminate early. Problematic cars seem to be beset with issues for life as dealers can often use the “we couldn’t find a fault when it was with us” line. Best to start again, although the present choice is very poor.

#177170 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

The car in general has been very ‘glichy’. Plug has to be put in 2/3 times before it locks in, sometimes won’t lock, sometimes won’t open etc etc.  Even the garage has said they are so complicated nowadays it’s quite common. Maybe so, but not for us. It’s not all about the comfort, I prefer a good all round drive. In that respect a BMW is way ahead of the pack.

#177171 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

While true that BMWs are great all round drivers, it’s also true that they’re currently not on the scheme.

I think the only really decent compromise on the scheme currently is the 261hp Tucson in Ultimate trim, very refined drive according to owners/reviewers.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#177172 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The car in general has been very ‘glichy’. Plug has to be put in 2/3 times before it locks in, sometimes won’t lock, sometimes won’t open etc etc. Even the garage has said they are so complicated nowadays it’s quite common. Maybe so, but not for us. It’s not all about the comfort, I prefer a good all round drive. In that respect a BMW is way ahead of the pack.

I know what you mean. We were lucky and got our BMW last year before they were removed. If I had to list all the areas where it is better than the VW we had before it would be a very long list, but I can only give it 9/10 as it still irritates me that it doesn’t have auto hold 😂

#177174 Reply
    struth
    Participant

autohold is an essential imo, as is heated steering wheels eek! 😀

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#177175 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Thanks Glos Guy. Hasn’t been easy but who knows what life is going to throw at us. Might just upgrade our second car if I want something ‘nice’ as current choice is indeed very poor. Kia e Niro would fit the bill as a day to day workhorse for the school run etc. Also make use of the wall charger we have installed at home.

#177441 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Sorry about your loss and your car issues. We took delivery of a Peugeot Traveller on September 1st with 50 days of hell fortunately we escaped the car and the problems you can probably still find the threads on here. We had no help from Peugeot and although it was a battle getting rid was the only sense of relief that said if Ed hadn’t found an alternative cancellation we would have joined a long waiting list with no car so it really is a bad time to have a bad car.

once again sorry for you trouble

#177453 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Hi all. Haven’t posted on here for a while, lost both my parents at the end of last year and life has been hectic with other things taking priority. Got our 3008 hybrid4 in October and tbh it’s been a disaster. Since 2009 it’s the only motability car that we have been left stranded by. New battery pack needed and currently at the dealers for an undiagnosed fault. Have been told nothing wrong with it. Went to start it at school and it wouldn’t do anything. Various faults came up on dash each time I pressed start. Tried lots of things but finally phoned RAC.90 minutes later the car lit up and allowed us to start it and go home. Now with them saying it is fine my confidence in it has disappeared. The car has also disappointed in other areas. Very poor range. Even in hybrid mode it won’t complete a 25 mile round trip before running out of juice. When fully charged it now shows a range of 16 miles, showed 42 in the first week we bought it. Yes I know it’s cold, winter, etc etc but it does make you think ‘why bother’. If every trip you make is less than 15 miles you’ll be fine, only thing is I’m not sure how many families only make such short journeys. Once that juice runs out you really start to pay for it. I don’t drive particularly fast and 30 mpg is about the norm. That coupled with a very small tank means you are constantly watching the fuel gauge. Ok, but it’s fast right? No. Fast doesn’t even begin to cover it. Liken it to strapping yourself to a missile and pressing launch. It flies. And not just from the lights, it overtakes like few other family cars on the road. Of course your meagre reserves of fuel disappear even more quickly than usual but it’s a novelty for a while. The other price you pay is the noise. In sport mode the engine is quite loud and intrusive and rapidly loses its appeal.

Our Outlander PHEV between 28-32 miles EV in the summer ( dependent on road conditions and speed) and between 18-20 miles in the winter. Petrol consumption approximately 38/40 mpg even with E10 fuel.

As regard the predicted range they call it the guess meter, I have seen as high as 40 miles predicted, but it does last anywhere that figure. The system is very dependent on the regenerative brake/ energy recovery system. I will stick my neck out, Toyota seems to be the market leaders in this area, the new RAV4 has a predicted range of 42 miles with it 18 kW battery, owners are reporting 42 + in the winter with the heater on and high 50’s to 60 mile range in the summer, you only need to look at their hybrid range to see the advancements.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#181221 Reply
    AliC

Hi Richard I’ve just posted about my Peugeot 3008 which came up with a braking system fault in October last year. It’s been with 2 Peugeot desires since then for them to either say no faults found or a battery issue. It had a new battery put in at the dealers a week ago only for it not to start & faults come up again on dash a few days ago! I have no confidence in the car or the dealership & now no longer want the car back. Motability have agreed I can order a new car but this means a huge AP which I wasn’t expecting to pay out so soon. I’m going to also state I don’t want this going against me as a change of mind as the RAC have said car not roadworthy in its current condition

#181566 Reply
    Markw
    Participant

French cars are invariably style over substance, unless you get a Citroen, in which case you get neither.

Currently driving Seat Ateca 2.0 FR Sport TDI 190 DSG 4drive

Mokka E ultimate on order

#181571 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Hi AliC

Sounds like you’ve got a dud too. We have had a new battery, undiagnosed non starting problems and various other issues which the dealer puts down to glitches. Our contract has been cancelled and we can select another car when our sons pip claim comes through(16 and moving over from dla). Of course as time goes by it is becoming harder and harder to find something to replace it with.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Reply #177175 in 3008 woes
Your information: