300 mile range EV on Motability

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Phaedra 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #118708 Reply

Chris

Is there one? If not, what are the chances of us getting one? I’ve been due to renew for about a year and keep putting it off just because I don’t want that remorse and regret of getting a diesel 3008 only for a lovely new electric car to come out. An ID3 would be lovely as would an e-Niro but are these realistic or should I just bite the bullet and order my Peugeot?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #118709 Reply

Ade

Maybe next cycle Chris.  In 3 years diesel will be out, more EV’s will replace them and the manufacturers will be on full song producing them. The ID3 is another belter, designed as an EV from the outset.  Interesting times.

#118712 Reply

Rhodgie

Why do you need a 300 mile range EV? What sort of daily, weekly, annual mileage are you doing?

Isn’t the current 200+ mile range that’s available now good enough?

I’ve had a 24 kWh Leaf and now got a 30 kWh Leaf and going today (Sunday) to look at the 40, I’m doing almost 20k a year, this week I done Glasgow to Blackpool and back in one day… thats a 400 mile trip.

I too was wishing the e-Niro or Kona would be available on the scheme and I had extended my lease for 2 years in the hope of getting one but have decided I don’t need the extra range, instead I need adaptive cruise control more, beside my bladder doesn’t have a 250 mile range so I’d have to stop for a break anyway 🤷‍♂️

Go look at the current (get it? 😂) EV’s available and try one 👍

#118713 Reply

Chris

I regularly have to do drives of 160-240 mile round trips, and I’m looking ahead to winter when I’ll need heating on etc. Would like to stop as few times as possible. I would also like an SUV sized car that does that as I’m 6ft 5 with bad knees!

#118718 Reply

Menorca Mike

Same here Chris I drive to relations on coast round trip of 250 miles so need 300 range to cover that

#118724 Reply

DBtruth

Are there currently any EV’s out there that can actually do a full 300 miles on one charge? I know there’s a few that can manage 250-280 ish but I can only think of Tesla that goes over 300 and then it’s the long range Tesla’s which are pretty expensive and over the caps for power and price.
    I’m not sure if we’ll see the e-Niro or Kona, maybe. I’m excited to see the id3 but if that joined the scheme I think it would be the shortest range one which is no good for you in terms of range. If you’re hoping for a Tesla model 3 long range then I’d just go ahead and get the 3008 as I can’t ever see that coming onto the scheme never mind in the next 3 years

#118725 Reply

Menorca Mike

Just saw on honest John real mpg that Citroen cactus diesel automatic does 62 mpg with £795 advance payment a hidden gem ?

#118734 Reply

Gordon

Mike, Its recently come down from £1295 for the auto. The reason would appear that its stock cars only as its being replaced with a new C4. I did make an enquiry and there are a few petrol autos for NIL AP still around but few and far between with the diesel.

#118792 Reply

Rhodgie

A few of the usual comments about how an EV isn’t any use to me cause….  blah blah blah….  rather than how could I make it work.

If a 300 mile range EV appeared next week then people would be on saying they need 400 miles 🤷‍♂️

I’d say just go ahead and order a diesel now cause no EV is going to be good enough to fulfill all your requirements 😢

As for me I enjoyed the test drive today and think I’m going to order the Leaf 40 this week, I would have ordered it today but the garage wasn’t offering any discount or deals so I walked away (not in a huff threatening never to return 🤫) and I’ll spend Monday or Tuesday phoning round to see if I can get a deal… 🤞

#118795 Reply

Andy
    Participant

I’m really hoping EV’s make a bit of a leap in the next few years. We have a diesel on order now, and it could well be our last ICE car if there is more of a choice next time.
    And yes, I’d want 300 miles range, followed by a very short charging time.

#118797 Reply

Ade

Most people are having range anxiety  with EV’s before they have bought them…lol.

Just reset your trip and see how many miles you do in a week. Then make your mind up. Most people will be charging their EV once a week unless they are high milers.

The biggest problem with EV’s are the public charging points, unfortunately the Govt have left the installation of them to private enterprise. The Govt should have taken the lead on building chargers, to ensure an excess capacity of chargers and entice the public to buy an EV.
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a Kw charger installed at their property. But it is the future.

#118798 Reply

mitch
    Participant

very few people need hundreds of miles for a single trip on a daily basis, long trips for holidays etc can be broken down into segments and a half hour break somewhere is normal. you can get a decent charge in 30-45 minutes. most service stations now have charging points.

all it will take in most cases is an adjustment in thinking  if the ap’s become reasonable and theres an option i can get in/out of my next car will be electric.

#118801 Reply

Littledave

EVs far too expensive at the moment. No use to us because we have no off street parking and very few local charging points.

I hate to think how long our journey to Spain would take.

#118804 Reply

rox
    Participant

It’s personal choice, like me deciding to hit the sport mode button, which i know will cost me more money. Like i care but on a bev that means less range and for some that is an issue. That is ok also..

As it also is to wanna stop every so often and/or be forced to stop to charge your car for 30 mins like you on a tacho break or something. Legally you can drive a hgv for 4.5 hours but then you must take 45 mins rest.

I deffo would not consider one until the ranges are higher as what it offers right now is less options for some, than they need. If it works for you then thats ok but don’t be like the usual haters are here putting ev’s down it’s a fact.

So the answer is

Not right now!

There ain’t a 300 mile range EV on Motability. Are some good options for most and things should get better in the hybrid sence but for some an bev just ain’t cutting it right now. Especially if you live outside a large city or town and don’t have a driveway it’s a big problem and after all some of us have other issues as well not just motability problems.

#118805 Reply

Phaedra
    Participant

I’d certainly consider an EV of some sort but there are things that I’d need to be able to do that.

1. Have a charging point at home, at present with only on street parking the only way would be to convert our small front garden into a hard standing, not sure if my housing association would let me!

2. There are no charge points anywhere I usually drive so I would have to rely on home charging with a minimum range of say 200 miles to ensure not running out of charge on my main long journey (about 5-9 times a year) which is about 120 miles round trip.  This is through rural Northumberland, not a hospitable place in the Winter months and no charging points on the route or at the destination (MOD camp in the middle of nowhere!).

3. My other long distance trip would be Mancheter, about 145 miles each way but only once or twice a year.  Motorway services or the hotel overnight would be the obvious answer.

4. Size, it would have to be a mid-size SUV like a Tiguan, CR-V, Ateca etc. as I’m 6’5″ and a bit with poor mobility and very poor bendability!.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: 300 mile range EV on Motability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: